• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on Turner!?!?!?!?!

Erstad Grit

11 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

Dodgers are gonna have to save money to cut the debt they're in. Lolz.

Might have to let Turner go now. 

The Dodgers are already near the luxury tax threshold with only 8 players on their active roster. They owe over $55 million in dead money contracts for 2017 to 7 players they traded or released.  That team is seriously upside down in terms of payrol.

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Dodgers are already near the luxury tax threshold with only 8 players on their active roster. They owe over $55 million in dead money contracts for 2017 to 7 players they traded or released.  That team is seriously upside down in terms of payrol.

And they will fill the roster and compete for a championship in 2017. 

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Forget the stats, money, and needs of the team. 

Do not sign that guy. that picture is a mix of gary busey, the weird guy from the movie contact, and the bad guy from poltergeist 2. maybe even a little of the owner of the double duece from road house.

That picture reminds me of a young Timothy Busfield. The guy who was Ray Kinsella's brother-in-law and was gonna foreclose on Ray's farm until he saw the ballplayers on the field.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Because they spend money and develop the farm.

Well Arte is more than likely not going to spend a lot more money on this team because he still wins either way. The Angels have plenty of emotionally attached fans that will continue to support the team win or lose.

Arte has tried to buy a championship numerous times over the years with Vladdy, GMJ, Hunter, Wells, Matsui, Pujols, Hamilton plus more and now has a reasonable extension in place with baseballs best player in Trout.  

I think Arte has invested in the team but was continually disappointed but his Manager, coaches, players and poor drafts. You can't just put the blame on Arte. There's plenty of blame to go around. 

Or maybe the fans need to accept fail as just a part of life. As a fan there are few more satisfying experiences (2002) than watching your favorite team win a World Championship. This wouldn't be such a gratifying experience if it were easy to come by. Only one team can win every year so the odds are overwhelming against all teams to win it all.

I find it amusing that some fans can see this team as built and assume that adding guys like Utley, Turner a few BP arms and we on our way to the World Series. It's not that easy. You need great Managing, coaching and chemistry. We are a long way away from that.

This team needs to reconstructed from the bottom up. I think it will happen after Sosh is gone. I see a 3-5 years before we are a major competitor again.

2 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well Arte is more than likely not going to spend a lot more money on this team because he still wins either way. The Angels have plenty of emotionally attached fans that will continue to support the team win or lose.

Arte has tried to buy a championship numerous times over the years with Vladdy, GMJ, Hunter, Wells, Matsui, Pujols, Hamilton plus more and now has a reasonable extension in place with baseballs best player in Trout.  

I think Arte has invested in the team but was continually disappointed but his Manager, coaches, players and poor drafts. You can't just put the blame on Arte. There's plenty of blame to go around. 

Or maybe the fans need to accept fail as just a part of life. As a fan there are few more satisfying experiences (2002) than watching your favorite team win a World Championship. This wouldn't be such a gratifying experience if it were easy to come by. Only one team can win every year so the odds are overwhelming against all teams to win it all.

I find it amusing that some fans can see this team as built and assume that adding guys like Utley, Turner a few BP arms and we on our way to the World Series. It's not that easy. You need great Managing, coaching and chemistry. We are along way away from that.

This team needs to reconstructed from the bottom up. I think it will happen after Sosh is gone. I see a 3-5 years before we are a major competitor again.

Cool story bro.  I look forward to hearing how bad we are day in and day out from you, it should be quite refreshing.  Also, I highly doubt anyone thinks we are a few complimentary players from the World Series.  My guess is we all think that we are a few complimentary players away from being competitive again.  I am sure there are some that think why bother, the easy answer is why not.  Trying to be good is so much better than sitting on your hands.  Signing guys like Utley or Chapman or the closer with the M last name, won't cost draft picks and make us better immediately.  Is it better enough, I have no idea.  At least it is better than sitting idle and waiting for a few years.  

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cool story bro.  I look forward to hearing how bad we are day in and day out from you, it should be quite refreshing.  Also, I highly doubt anyone thinks we are a few complimentary players from the World Series.  My guess is we all think that we are a few complimentary players away from being competitive again.  I am sure there are some that think why bother, the easy answer is why not.  Trying to be good is so much better than sitting on your hands.  Signing guys like Utley or Chapman or the closer with the M last name, won't cost draft picks and make us better immediately.  Is it better enough, I have no idea.  At least it is better than sitting idle and waiting for a few years.  

Well getting "locked in" to expensive contacts is not wise. Trying to buy a championship usually fails most of the time and is unsustainable. Arte's not going down that road anymore. It's time for the organization to develop from the ground up. Build with the draft, good equitable trades and patience. Most "contract year" overpays end up a disaster and don't net many rings in return. 

9 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well getting "locked in" to expensive contacts is not wise. Trying to buy a championship usually fails most of the time and is unsustainable. Arte's not going down that road anymore. It's time for the organization to develop from the ground up. Build with the draft, good equitable trades and patience. Most "contract year" overpays end up a disaster and don't net many rings in return. 

You seem to know what Arte will or will not do ... how is this possible? or maybe you're just screwing with Stradling. 

16 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Not sure how Utley would be locked in to an expensive contract.  Also a 3 or 4 year deal for a closer isn't a bad contract.  We have no idea what the market is yet for any of the free agents and we won't until after the CBA gets ratified later this week.  

10 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You seem to know what Arte will or will not do ... how is this possible? or maybe you're just screwing with Stradling. 

I'm paying attention. I don't see Heyward or Cespedes (who were obvious choices) in LF. 

Its a good indicator that Arte is changing his thought process. Arte is 70 years old and he's probably listening to his family. He sees other teams spending less but still competing. Lol at our overconfidence in 2012 & 2013 when we signed Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton only to watch the $60M A's win back to back division titles. Yet we keep asking Arte to go back to the well. It's a year after year insatiable fan appetite that Arte will never be able to satisfy. Arte could sign Chapman, Turner and Utley this season and if we fail to win the fans will be looking at the 2018 free agent list with new requests. I think Arte has figured this out. He's still drawing 3 million Trout fans and making money. 

how many here are for giving Turner a huge ($80 million?) up to four year deal to play in Anaheim?

why am I skeptical of this? why would I prefer we spend that kind of money on pitching -- if an ace worth paying anything close to that is available on the F/A market (looks kinds of light this year).

What's wrong with holding on to that money and saving it for a better F/A market next year?

I don't know, I think Turner had a career year with the Dodgers and he may do well next year, but I see another multi-year contract with diminishing returns in years 3 and 4. Don't we already have enough money locked up on declining performance players?

And why is everyone so ready to deal Escobar?  He did pretty well for us last year with timely, clutch hitting and was, perhaps, the best Halos lead off hitter since Chone Figgins (which may be saying more about the quality of our lead off hitters since then rather than anything about Escobar).  Escobar's glove is weak so we'd need a quality slick fielding back up INF who could play 3B and perhaps some SS (can Utley do that? he's a part-time guy looking for a job, good glove (not so sure about that at 3B), good clubhouse veteran leadership presence, decent clutch bat, makes contact, can steal a base and can sacrifice when asked to do so (amazing, that used to be a given of virtually every MLB player, including pitchers, and now it's a special 'extra' skill -- well Chase Utley is a throw back player).

I say no to playing big bucks for a multi-year deal for Turner. He'll get the money and is hit the market just right -- a career type year heading into a weak F/A market. Some one will over-pay. Hope it's not us. With our track record, it may well be.

Let him sign with Seattle -- then he'll be hitting about .215 by the 2017 All Start break.

3 minutes ago, disarcina said:

how many here are for giving Turner a huge ($80 million?) up to four year deal to play in Anaheim?

why am I skeptical of this? why would I prefer we spend that kind of money on pitching -- if an ace worth paying anything close to that is available on the F/A market (looks kinds of light this year).

What's wrong with holding on to that money and saving it for a better F/A market next year?

I don't know, I think Turner had a career year with the Dodgers and he may do well next year, but I see another multi-year contract with diminishing returns in years 3 and 4. Don't we already have enough money locked up on declining performance players?

And why is everyone so ready to deal Escobar?  He did pretty well for us last year with timely, clutch hitting and was, perhaps, the best Halos lead off hitter since Chone Figgins (which may be saying more about the quality of our lead off hitters since then rather than anything about Escobar).  Escobar's glove is weak so we'd need a quality slick fielding back up INF who could play 3B and perhaps some SS (can Utley do that? he's a part-time guy looking for a job, good glove (not so sure about that at 3B), good clubhouse veteran leadership presence, decent clutch bat, makes contact, can steal a base and can sacrifice when asked to do so (amazing, that used to be a given of virtually every MLB player, including pitchers, and now it's a special 'extra' skill -- well Chase Utley is a throw back player).

I say no to playing big bucks for a multi-year deal for Turner. He'll get the money and is hit the market just right -- a career type year heading into a weak F/A market. Some one will over-pay. Hope it's not us. With our track record, it may well be.

Let him sign with Seattle -- then he'll be hitting about .215 by the 2017 All Start break.

I think Turner for 2 years (wont happen) is more attractive than 4 years. I just think it's a younger mans game and Turner can decline pretty quickly. I don't think that Turner has a history of being a great player. He's had some success but he's not worthy of a 4 year commitment. 

9 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I'm paying attention. I don't see Heyward or Cespedes (who were obvious choices) in LF. 

Its a good indicator that Arte is changing his thought process. Arte is 70 years old and he's probably listening to his family. He sees other teams spending less but still competing. Lol at our overconfidence in 2012 & 2013 when we signed Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton only to watch the $60M A's win back to back division titles. Yet we keep asking Arte to go back to the well. It's a year after year insatiable fan appetite that Arte will never be able to satisfy. Arte could sign Chapman, Turner and Utley this season and if we fail to win the fans will be looking at the 2018 free agent list with new requests. I think Arte has figured this out. He's still drawing 3 million Trout fans and making money. 

Lol at our overconfidence? is there a team out there that has money to spend and doesnt try to improve?

By that measure, the cubs wwre the only realistic team this season. But their lack of confidance caused them to sign heyward. And speaking of oakland, ehat confidence level were they at when they flipped cespedes and tailspun in 14?

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Lol at our overconfidence? is there a team out there that has money to spend and doesnt try to improve?

By that measure, the cubs wwre the only realistic team this season. But their lack of confidance caused them to sign heyward. And speaking of oakland, ehat confidence level were they at when they flipped cespedes and tailspun in 14?

Recon, we had a thread here that asked "how many championships will we win with Pujols?" Some people said 3-4 and some said dynasty. I found it amusing. We were the AL West favorites in 2012 and 2013 so yes we were overconfident.