• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

That Simmons Trade is Looking Pretty Good

Homebrewer

Eh, I have no problem saying I didn't like the trade at the time - in a vacuum, it was a good trade.

But considering it addressed none of our actual needs at the time (2b, LF, etc) and, especially,  considering the lack of pitching depth in the pipeline to fill out our rotation in the coming years, I thought it just wasn't the right move for us at that point in time.

I think the jury's still out - Newcomb finished the season strong - he's young, has plus stuff, lots of strikeouts, and improving control - we may yet regret this trade.

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Eh, I have no problem saying I didn't like the trade at the time - in a vacuum, it was a good trade.

But considering it addressed none of our actual needs at the time (2b, LF, etc) and, especially,  considering the lack of pitching depth in the pipeline to fill out our rotation in the coming years, I thought it just wasn't the right move for us at that point in time.

I think the jury's still out - Newcomb finished the season strong - he's young, has plus stuff, lots of strikeouts, and improving control - we may yet regret this trade.

How is the pitching situation any worse than the SS situation? 

Would people have been happier with this trade if they made the exact same move right now? Aybar was pretty clearly done and do we even have a SS in the minor leagues?

3 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

His BB/9 this year was 4.6...  for his career it's 4.7 -- it was over 5.0 for most of the season in AA.   The control issues are still there.

I like Newcomb, I think he's going to have a MLB career -- but finishing strong doesn't mean what you think in this case.  He was getting trucked in AA through the end of July -- it wasn't until teams started promoting guys to make room for the recent draftees that he started to pitch well again.  So while he did finish the season on a definite upswing he was facing a lot more guys who had just been moved up from A ball.  I fully agree he's got the stuff and he is one of those guys that could put it all together but there is some risk in waiting for that to happen.

For me this trade was about trading 6 years of Newcomb's potential value for 5 years of Simmons' established value.   

Gotta say, I really think Simmons is taking a legitimate step forward with his development. I think the best is yet to come. His presence feels greater than it did at the start of the year. Living in Texas, I'm blacked out of Rangers games, so I've had to rely on highlights until I can watch the game the next day, but Simmons seems to be in the middle of everything. Defensively and offensively. If he isn't making the play, he's backing them up or firing off strategic relays and cut-offs. He's stealing bases and seems to be a heads-up baserunner. And it seems like every highlight I watch offensively, he's on base and scoring or slapping a hit to drive in a run. Even reading about the 'drama' of the series and his comments, he seems like he's garnered something of a leadership role in the clubhouse too. He's multilingual and comes off fairly eloquent and intelligent. 

I thought the trade was worth it for his elite defense alone, but figured that'd be his only real asset. It's starting to look like there is potential for a lot more.

• 6 months later...

I'll eat crow on this. I had no issue with the player but rather the cost....which is now starting to not look like much of anything. At the time, I wasn't thrilled they gave away their best prospect for a player with a weak bat when the offense was abysmal. Deal was clearly meant for the long-term without thinking too much on 2016, which was obviously the smart way to go about things from the FO. Simmons hit for average last season, though he didn't display much of any power, speed, or draw walks at a great rate. Still though, with his defensive ability, if he can continue to hit .280 or better, then anything else in the power/speed department is really a bonus. A .280+ hitting SS with his defensive ability is easily a 4-5 WAR player. Only 5 everyday SS had a 4+ WAR last season

I'd still like to have Newcomb but Simmons is so good defensively and improving offensively that you have to love the trade now....The crow is fine...By the way, I hated the Santiago trade too...More crow....I guess if Meyer is a bust it could still be a push...but I'd rather have Nolasco, with or without Meyer...

Nolasco's stint with the Halos last year is looking less like a fluke. He hasn't been quite as dominant in his two starts this year, but he hasn't looked nearly as awful as he did with Minnesota. He's still been very effective, and if he can remain at this 6IP sub-4.00 ERA pitcher, that's a huge win of a deal. 

Simmons has been fantastic. Braves only remnant is Newcomb and he hasn't really shown any advancement in a couple seasons now.

thought we gave up way too much at the time.  Actually always thought Simmons bat had the chance to get better.  Thought both Newcomb and Ellis would be in a major league rotation by now.  

Billy and his staff have been good at gauging whether the market is valuing a player more than they do.  Newcomb, Ellis, Gott, Alcantara, McGowin, Adams, Bandy, Santiago.  

All but one a pitcher with control issues.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Adams become the most consistent major leaguer out of all of them.  

I'm going to enjoy eating crow on this one. Fantastic work Eppler. You don't dream on Richards-Heaney-Newcomb like it's a guarantee. Guys get injured, don't develop properly, it's a lotto ticket. But Andrelton Simmons, that's a guarantee of a game changer. If you can acquire that talent, you do it.

" Today I am even more enthused about the trade in terms of what Simmons brings to the team defensively. Additionally I think he will have even more value moving forward whenever I get around to continue working on my Primer which, as usual, is like the length of War & Peace and I'm only 20% of the way through typing it. I'm so f*ck*ng wordy jesus I need to self-edit."

I was right about two things in that thread. :(