• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

That Simmons Trade is Looking Pretty Good

Homebrewer

Since the time of the trade Eppler has acquired several pitchers who essentially used to be Newcomb. It's not out of the question that we trade to get him back 2 years from now as he emerges an the next Meyer/Campos/Banuelos. In the meantime we have a 3-5 WAR SS under a great contract

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Since the time of the trade Eppler has acquired several pitchers who essentially used to be Newcomb. It's not out of the question that we trade to get him back 2 years from now as he emerges an the next Meyer/Campos/Banuelos. In the meantime we have a 3-5 WAR SS under a great contract

+1

22 hours ago, ettin said:

To be fair to those that were upset about losing Newcomb and Ellis, they were, essentially, our two best pitching prospects in a very barren system and the thought of losing them without anything else remotely close to the Majors made everyone nervous to one degree or another.

That being said Eppler traded a lot of uncertainty in prospects (and as the other poster said, future dollars against payroll) for a lot more certainty in our defense and a bit of upside in our offense.

Kind of like I said when it went down.... I was very happy about the Aybar/Simmons portion of the swap. I was just surprised/disappointed that we needed to include our Top pitching prospect and another that was close to being ready....But, in hindsight neither have turned the corner and Aybar is in Detroit! 

= Winner HALOS!

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Kind of like I said when it went down.... I was very happy about the Aybar/Simmons portion of the swap. I was just surprised/disappointed that we needed to include our Top pitching prospect and another that was close to being ready....But, in hindsight neither have turned the corner and Aybar is in Detroit! 

= Winner HALOS!

I think Aybar is in San Diego doing his best Mendoza Line thing... its hard to keep track, huh?

2 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

I'm pretty sure I was all about the trade because I've always been a huge Simmons fan. I do know that I defended Dipoto quite a bit after he left and now I watch what he's doing with the Mariners and I'm glad he's not running the team anymore

You and me both man.  Thought Angels lost a good GM when Dipoto quit, but probably because I hate Scioscia so much, but Eppler has been a lot better.

Simmons trade has been awesome so far.  

5 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I didn't like the package we gave up. Newcomb looked like he could be a top of the rotation starter if he could figure out the yips.

He has yet to do so and may never. But we didn't know that at the time.

That's fine. But Simmons looked like he could be an MVP SS if he could ever figure out how to hit 20 HRs.

He has yet to do so and may never. But we didn't know that at the time.

I'm just joking around. But on a serious note I don't think people realize how good a pitcher has to be in order to be as valuable as Simmons is. He has put up 4+ WAR in 3/4 of his full seasons. He has never put up a full season less than 3.3 WAR. Simmons has averaged 3.875 WAR in his full seasons. Greinke has averaged 3.3 in his. There aren't a lot of pitchers who are better than Greinke. The odds of Newcomb ever becoming that were extremely low at any point before and even more so now. Simmons 4 year peak is very similar to Jered Weaver's. That's how good Newcomb would have to be.

11 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Im just joking around. But on a serious note I don't think people realize how good a pitcher has to be in order to be as valuable as Simmons is. He has put up 4+ WAR in 3/4 of his full seasons. He has never put up a full season less than 3.3 WAR. Simmons has averaged 3.875 WAR in his full seasons. Greinke has averaged 3.3 in his. There aren't a lot of pitchers who are better than Greinke. The odds of Newcomb ever becoming that were extremely low at any point before and even more so now. Simmons 4 year peak is very similar to Jered Weaver's. That's how good Newcomb would have to be.

You've been raking in this thread.