• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaepernick sits during national anthem, and 49ers defend him

The oppression starts in elementary and middle school.  Black and Latino students are more likely to be suspended than white students for the same offense.  It really is a thing.  

Black and Latino people are more likely to have longer sentences for like crimes than white people.  Brock Turner anyone?  He's celebrating his release after 3 months for raping an unconscious woman because he is a white guy who is good at some white guy sport at Stanford.

Fuck this shit

http://ocrdata.ed.gov/Downloads/CRDC-School-Discipline-Snapshot.pdf 

48 minutes ago, BaseballMom said:

The oppression starts in elementary and middle school.  Black and Latino students are more likely to be suspended than white students for the same offense.  It really is a thing.  

Black and Latino people are more likely to have longer sentences for like crimes than white people.  Brock Turner anyone?  He's celebrating his release after 3 months for raping an unconscious woman because he is a white guy who is good at some white guy sport at Stanford.

Fuck this shit

http://ocrdata.ed.gov/Downloads/CRDC-School-Discipline-Snapshot.pdf 

Actually, the oppression starts at birth, when their "fathers" are more likely than not to bail on their mothers. It continues in school, where they are dissuaded from respecting the white teacher. 

I am sure they do get longer jail sentences, which is probably a product of financial resources more than anything. Unfair though it is, it can be prevented by simply not committing the crime. Hard to imagine, I realize, but most people do get through life without committing one.

And the Turner sentence was horrendous, I'll give you that. But so was OJ's punishment.

So do you think we should not try to change this culture?  White people helped create it, so why should we sit by and do nothing?  

I am speaking on the education side because that is what I see.  Children should never feel they are worthless and have nothing to look forward to.  Community and parent involvement are key to helping these kids feel like they have a future.  The state of California has made some of these pieces part of school districts' "ratings".  Baby steps, but I feel like we are making some progress.

6 minutes ago, BaseballMom said:

So do you think we should not try to change this culture?  White people helped create it, so why should we sit by and do nothing?  

I am speaking on the education side because that is what I see.  Children should never feel they are worthless and have nothing to look forward to.  Community and parent involvement are key to helping these kids feel like they have a future.  The state of California has made some of these pieces part of school districts' "ratings".  Baby steps, but I feel like we are making some progress.

We should always strive to improve and help the most vulnerable among us. But I don't think that is what the BLM folk want. They want publicity and to create problems, not fix them. They want to create strife to keep themselves relevant. If they truly gave a shit, they would focus on the real problems facing the black community: lack of jobs, crime, drugs, and youth pregnancy.

As for education, my wife taught kindergarten in an inner city school for three years.  The problems there had nothing to do with the schools, the teachers, or the administration - it was the parents, 100%. The ones who wouldn't take their kids to school, who wouldn't spend any time with their kids, who wouldn't show up to teacher conferences, and who wouldn't respond to teacher communications. They were the failure - not the kids, not the teachers, and not you or me.

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

Kaepernick and the BLM people are fucking stupid. To the extent black people are oppressed, it is largely self-imposed. A black man is a thousand times more likely to be killed by another black man than by a bad cop. But let's keep making this about the police and ignore the real problems. And let's keep stereotyping all police for the actions of the bad 0.002 percent.

Yeah we should only stereotype the entire black population

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

Kaepernick and the BLM people are fucking stupid. To the extent black people are oppressed, it is largely self-imposed. A black man is a thousand times more likely to be killed by another black man than by a bad cop. But let's keep making this about the police and ignore the real problems. And let's keep stereotyping all police for the actions of the bad 0.002 percent.

All that shit happens here in Albuquerque but there fewer black people here than Rush Limbaugh's inner circle. 

And every they say is true if you ONLY consider the War on Drugs. Something pretty well considered to be intended to do just that by the Nixon administration.

I like how for white people, the only case they can bring up of a black man skirting justice is OJ, and wopphil did it right after I mentioned it.

America is pushing 250 years old and the only case you can bring up is fucking OJ Simpson. One case from 20 years ago.

White privilege is bringing up OJ. 

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Yes. That's what he said. Dance a little sidestep

His comment is ambiguous so you don't know if that is what he meant or not. utep-2step.

This country does not oppress people of color. It is more difficult for minorities, especially when you start in bad neighborhoods and shit parents but being white doesn't give you the keys to a Bentley.

Many populations "of color" thrive in the US. Fact.

3 hours ago, CF8 said:

His comment is ambiguous so you don't know if that is what he meant or not. utep-2step.

This country does not oppress people of color. It is more difficult for minorities, especially when you start in bad neighborhoods and shit parents but being white doesn't give you the keys to a Bentley.

Many populations "of color" thrive in the US. Fact.

When you put those two sentences together like that it looks like you're arguing semantics to further sidestep the remote possibility that he might be somewhere in the vicinity of having a legitimate beef. 

5 hours ago, CF8 said:

True, but when you start in a bad neighborhood with shit parents you don't even get a bus pass.

Edited by Lou

9 hours ago, Glen said:

I like how for white people, the only case they can bring up of a black man skirting justice is OJ, and wopphil did it right after I mentioned it.

America is pushing 250 years old and the only case you can bring up is fucking OJ Simpson. One case from 20 years ago.

White privilege is bringing up OJ. 

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest posts you have ever written. O.J. gets cited because it is the most notorious example, and the one that comes to mind first. And you know that.

Nobody is saying blacks aren't disproportionately unjustly sentenced, whether for crimes they didn't commit or with unfairly long sentences. Nobody is saying blacks and other persons of color don't have a more difficult path to success.

But police brutality is about the least of their problems (yet the one they put on the forefront). You hear little about poverty, jobs, etc. As a result, many people who could otherwise be sympathetic to protests such as Kaepernick's, instead get putoff by it because it appears to be much ado about nothing.

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

Chinese. Vietnamese. Latinos are making progress too. And the clown population is thriving. They are upgrading their facial makeup from Mary Kay to MAC in record numbers.

Latinos aren't thriving by any stretch of the imagination. 

I was curious to see if anyone would list a race that wasn't Asian.

30 minutes ago, Lou said:

Latinos aren't thriving by any stretch of the imagination. 

I was curious to see if anyone would list a race that wasn't Asian.

I didn't say thriving, I said progressing. Big difference.

There are also big cultural differences. Asians seem more motivated and driven by financial success than Latinos. Many Latinos seem content to work just enough to get by.