• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaepernick sits during national anthem, and 49ers defend him

We are in a period of social upheaval not seen since the 1960s. Considering what we see on the nightly news/Interwebs I'm surprised more players haven't reacted similarly. Would they be 100% right? Of course not. But they wouldn't be 100% wrong either. Is he doing something people don't like? Of course. You don't make a point by doing otherwise. No one makes history by conforming to the emotionally comfortable. But it's pretty dang impressive what effect a backup quarterback on a terrible team can have to the national conversation with a few passive acts of defiance.

55 minutes ago, Thomas said:

We are in a period of social upheaval not seen since the 1960s. Considering what we see on the nightly news/Interwebs I'm surprised more players haven't reacted similarly. Would they be 100% right? Of course not. But they wouldn't be 100% wrong either. Is he doing something people don't like? Of course. You don't make a point by doing otherwise. No one makes history by conforming to the emotionally comfortable. But it's pretty dang impressive what effect a backup quarterback on a terrible team can have to the national conversation with a few passive acts of defiance.

but the national conversation is about what a dumbass douchebag he is.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Personally I don't think he is accomplishing what you believe he is trying to accomplish.  I will wait to see if he follows this up with some real actions.  What he has done has been easy so far.  Especially when he is financially set for life.  He also isn't really risking his job since he sucks already.

There are a myriad of issues with this country.  So many things wrong.  

Wow. I didn't even know that. Someone should pay a ton of money and put them on TV! Oh wait.

If you really like to document how this subject wasn't a "trending topic" for over a week now I'd love to hear it. Hell I'm so interested I'll take tomorrow off just so I can not miss a moment of what will surely be riveting and utterly insightful.

30 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Wow. I didn't even know that. Someone should pay a ton of money and put them on TV! Oh wait.

If you really like to document how this subject wasn't a "trending topic" for over a week now I'd love to hear it. Hell I'm so interested I'll take tomorrow off just so I can not miss a moment of what will surely be riveting and utterly insightful.

I guess in these days trending on Twitter is accomplishing something big.

my point is I question whether this is going to do any good other than being the topic de jour on sports radio for a week or two.  

28 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I guess in these days trending on Twitter is accomplishing something big.

my point is I question whether this is going to do any good other than being the topic de jour on sports radio for a week or two.  

Watching documentaries about the marches in the 1960s the leaders were saavy and quite intentional on getting media attention. Make no mistake. This was their primary goal. MLK didn't march in Selma to change the city's mind. Fat chance of that. It was to change the minds in other parts of the country and to show what was happening. Symbolism such as Chavez marching the grape pickers to Sacramento and the state capital so that they arrived on Easter Sunday so they would make the nightly news to generate conversation. Kaepernick accomplished getting this issue into the news by himself  with much less walking.  It's pretty darn amazing actually. Definite luck involved but still. I mean is anyone nationally talking about this (granted maybe where you are but um... yeah serious you are even more desolate than where I am). Maybe 2%? http://www.wsj.com/articles/pipeline-protests-bring-dozens-of-arrests-in-iowa-north-dakota-1472744470

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

so chili, what will change because of kap's protest/statement? will there be new legislation? will bad cops all be fired/arrested? will inner city kids suddenly start receiving a better education?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73cxLiqc2U

Your metric for success is rediculous. Using this logic you may as well tell your students they are destined to fail. Miserably. Hell pretty much everyone ever is a failure. Jesus himself couldn't cut it based on your expectations.

i also thought it worth asking since he wants to see things change. just sitting down during the national anthem is not going to cause change in and of itself. is he bringing new awareness to these issues? hardly. so what will be accomplished by his statement? where is he going with all of this? sure people are talking about it, but the conversation has not been about "hey, you know, kap is right. let's treat others better." it's been focused on does he have the right, and what a clown he is for doing this.

so i think it's worth asking what his goal is.

You wanna know how I know you haven't actually listened to him? Because he has has stated his goal. In very plain terms. It isn't very lofty. Just to make people talk. Like any journey you can only begin with the first step. The fact the destination isn't realistically reachable in our lifetime doesn't mean it's not a worthy effort. 

Honestly I think studying the reactions from those that oppose him are far more enlightening than what he says. For instance your belief of what is a failure in this regard compared to those in a different point of view who measure by a more pragmatic metric. I mean the closest anyone cares about Native issues are the names of stupid sports teams. We really could use some of this "failure".

What I find amusing is how many people make it personal about Kaep and refuse to admit that he might have the slightest inkling of a point to make because he's just a douche halfbreed jock. In fact, every time it's ever brought up that there might be a little injustice the argument gets skewed toward the messenger as if the message is secondary.