• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Eppler as GM

Jerry is irreplaceable but I will open my mind and see what this guy can do, I hope he can succeed and fill the big shoes of Jerry. Stonehead was a joke, he made some horrible decisions @ the FA deadline, which made the team worse that it was before the trades

If Jerry was irreplaceable how is it that he's been replaced?

Yankee fan here. I personally haven't been impressed with Cashman and Eppler when it comes to the Yankees player development. There has been very few players that have made an impact in the big league. Other than Cano and Gardner it wasn't until this season we seen anyone from the minors come up and contribute.

I think you have to remember that for a long,long time you merely threw $$$ at whatever hole in your lineup/staff you needed to fill.

My guess is that you'll be seeing more and more prospects contributing in the coming years.

I'll take a wait and see approach on this one.  

On the surface, I think it could be a good move.  Yet, I find it odd they are downplaying that he pays attention to the numbers.  

Scioscia said he would have no influence on the process yet his #1 goal was that he'd like to have better communication and Eppler's biggest asset is that he's a good 'communicator'.  

Whatever that means btw.  

To me it means that Scioscia wants think run by him before any actual moves are made.  

Honestly, I don't really give a hot crap about whether Eppler is perceived as a numbers guy.  Baseball is all about metrics.  If they don't find a way to incorporate that part of the game into how things are run, then they are dead on the vine.  If Eppler wants to be more about communication and whatever else, then so be it.  Especially if they keep Mike around.  But they better continue to have a team of guys that delve into the numbers or they're dead.  

My #1 goal for him is to have him improve scouting and in particular our draft.  Personally, I'd like to see us take a different approach in that area.  

It's good the Angels finally hired an asst GM to Scioscia.  The two jobs were obviously weighing him down (pun intended). 

Eppler, reporting on board with the requisite "metrics?, metrics?, we don't need no damn metrics" and "improved communication" Scioscia check boxes.  Improved communication is likely defined as doing nothing substantive without Scioscia approval, a rule Dipoto broke.  The Scioscia empire remains intact.

Edited by 70runner

scioscia letting it be known early on that he and his guys know best:

"We're looking forward to sharing our insights on the team with somebody, whoever is going to be that decision (maker) when the time comes.  Like most baseball teams, I don't think there's a manager or coaching staff that doesn't know the players better than anybody in the organization. "

Edited by mrwicked

12108099_10150584637234984_1685520249747

"I cannot adequately express how excited I am for the opportunity Arte Moreno and the Angels have given me,” said Eppler. “The Angels are committed to Championship Standards. They are committed to being a perennial contender, and many of the pieces are already in place for that to occur. I look forward to a collaborative effort as we look to enhance and advance every phase of the baseball operations department. This is an organization with a tremendous amount of talent on and off the field, and I am excited to begin the next chapter of Angels Baseball.”