• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Eppler as GM

As a young executive, Eppler understands he'll get labeled as a numbers whiz. But there's more to him. "Unfortunately in this game, if you're (young) and you didn't play in the big leagues, it's kind of easy to get classified," Eppler said, according to the report. "And it's fine, I understand, but it's not something I'm real versed in."

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/09/billy_eppler_to_angels_what_you_should_know_about.html

Eppler has been tabbed by some as the front-runner for the Angels job, and he comes with a strong endorsement from longtime Yankees GM Brian Cashman, who last year told the New York Daily News: “He checks all the boxes. He’s got the analytics side checked off, he’s got the administrative side checked off, and he’s got the scouting side checked off. He’s got the leadership side checked off because he’s a great communicator.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-yankees-billy-eppler-angels-gm-candidate-20150904-story.html

hahaha.

He gets labeled a "numbers wiz" because he's young and didn't play baseball, but he's "not real versed in" it. 

Worst of both worlds? Lovely.

That was weirdly worded. Many sources say he's a stats guy. I have no clue and no idea what can be directly attributed to him.

Yep, Scioscia is staying unless he is fired. Scioscia complained mostly about the lack of communication in the organization, and now they are hiring someone who's biggest strength is communicating.

You nailed it Strad.  I think they will work well together.  I think they hired the best of the rumored candidates, but I wouldn't have minded Klentak either, but he's probably not nearly as experienced as Eppler.

Eppler is a native of San Diego, California, and graduated from University of San Diego High School in 1993.[1][2] He attended the University of Connecticut and pitched for the Connecticut Huskies baseball team, until an arm injury ended his playing career.[3] He graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in finance in 1998.[4]

After graduating from Connecticut, Eppler interned with the Washington Redskins of the National Football League.[4] The Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball hired Eppler as a scout in 2000.[3] After the 2004 season, he was hired to scout for the New York Yankees, working in the Tampa office run by Mark Newman and Damon Oppenheimer. When Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman was given the authority to restructure the Yankees' front office after the 2005 season, he created a professional scouting department and promoted Eppler to serve as its director.[3][5] He was promoted to Assistant General Manager during the 2011–12 offseason.[6]

Eppler is well versed in the statistics of baseball, using them to sign Edwar Ramírez out of independent baseball.[7] He is considered by many, including Cashman and Gene Michael to be a future general manager.[3] In 2011, Eppler interviewed for the general manager opening for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was one of the finalists for the position, which went to Jerry Dipoto.[8] In August 2014, he interviewed to be the general manager for the San Diego Padres,[1] but the Padres hired A. J. Preller.[9] When the Arizona Diamondbacks fired Kevin Towers as their general manager in September 2014, Eppler was one of the five candidates they identified as a potential replacement.[10] Eppler declined to interview for the position,[11] and the Diamondbacks chose Dave Stewart.[12]