• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Eppler as GM

I mean, we don't know how good or bad he is until he starts making his mark so I'm indifferent on this but happy that the GM situation is settled

I assume Klentak, Servais, Hal Morris etc will be moving on. More FO turnover! I hope this new regime can get this team some offense in the offseason. That'd be nice

Edited by bloodbrother

If he stands up to Arte and Sosh he'll be fired, so no

You can stand up to someone without being fired. They have to respect you to do so and believe in what you are saying. He is a GM and needs the authority. Ultimately Arte could over rule him, but he can still stand up to him.

MS he can stand up to, but needs to find a way to work with him if MS is staying on. Fine line to make work, but it can be done IMO

How do we know the angels and eppler didn't have a hand shake agreement that they wouldn't announce till after the season? And how do we know eppler didn't turn down the Mariners job?

I think that was the case, they didn't just suddenly decide a few hours after the game today.  I think this one has been cued up for some time actually.  They just didn't want it to conflict with the potential Yanks vs. Angels playoff possibility.

Edited by tomsred

I like the vibe I get from Eppler ... I believe he's more of a eye test/chemistry guy ... rather than a full board saber metrics guy.

Tough road ahead of him ... I like this hire!

I'm not sure what to make of it. I like the fact that he isn't an extremist one way or the other in terms of evaluating and selecting talent. Neither sabermetrics nor the eye test tell the whole story about a player, and a combination of the two might be just what the organization needs.

I just hope that he is given the freedom to do his job as he sees fit - which should be the role of a general manager at this level.

“Is Billy [Eppler] a stats guy? No, and I joke with him about it,” said Bill Schmidt, the Colorado Rockies’ vice president for scouting. “But does he use it as a tool? We all do.

Billy is a well-rounded scout, and any well-rounded scout is going to look at stats.”

Oh boy. Grittiness reigns supreme.

i don't see the pedigree on eppler and i think i'm well versed in scioscia's definition of "communication". truth be told, i'm very down on this organization at this point. i fully expect key FO personnel to move on. that'll leave us with arte, who i used to really respect, but now see him as his own version of steinbrenner in the 80's. eppler, a neutered nobody. scioscia, the man who wanted the power and got it.

i don't see the pedigree on eppler and i think i'm well versed in scioscia's definition of "communication". truth be told, i'm very down on this organization at this point. i fully expect key FO personnel to move on. that'll leave us with arte, who i used to really respect, but now see him as his own version of steinbrenner in the 80's. eppler, a neutered nobody. scioscia, the man who wanted the power and got it.

That's a pretty depressing post.  If you have a sandwich to eat tonight, eat it whole, don't slice it with a knife.

That's a pretty depressing post.  If you have a sandwich to eat tonight, eat it whole, don't slice it with a knife.

lol. i'm not as emotional as you might think. i rarely get worked up over sports, but i definitely have a very negative outlook on this team's leadership. the part that bothers me is that i don't see it eroding, i see it entrenching. 

edit: great line, btw.

Edited by ukyah

How do we know the angels and eppler didn't have a hand shake agreement that they wouldn't announce till after the season? And how do we know eppler didn't turn down the Mariners job?

Possible. We do know that he lost to Dipoto in 2011. 

Hey, when is the Eppler press conference, several people here want Fletcher to ask Eppler when he plans to fire Scioscia, and if he can do it while he's eating pasta.  We also have this guy named Denis who gave Arte the okay to sell his team this week, did Arte get the release document yet?

Edited by tomsred

Yankee fan here. I personally haven't been impressed with Cashman and Eppler when it comes to the Yankees player development. There has been very few players that have made an impact in the big league. Other than Cano and Gardner it wasn't until this season we seen anyone from the minors come up and contribute.

Edited by 21stAmendment

"'Communication is everything'...Iacocca."

As quoted by Izzy in Miami Vice.

You see, the character Izzy Moreno was a Cuban immigrant.  He appreciated the American capitalist system, and read Iacocca's biography.  He would quote it at times.  His quotes come in handy both here and in work situations.

"I cannot adequately express how excited I am for the opportunity Arte Moreno and the Angels have given me,” said Eppler. “The Angels are committed to Championship Standards. They are committed to being a perennial contender, and many of the pieces are already in place for that to occur. I look forward to a collaborative effort as we look to enhance and advance every phase of the baseball operations department. This is an organization with a tremendous amount of talent on and off the field, and I am excited to begin the next chapter of Angels Baseball.”

Wow, what is he smoking??