• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Eppler as GM

Wow. Good for him. He's coming into a situation where his new team just came in third in the division... Behind the Astros. Dream job.

Honestly, congrats. I think he has a good core to work with. I really liked the heart that Perez, Johnny G and Calhoun showed over the course of the season. Oh, we also have that Mike Trout guy.

Edited by Sully151

"He’s not a pure analytics guy, nor is he one that relies solely on old-school scouting. He’s seen everything the industry has to offer and utilizes it all, something a modern-day GM must do in order to cover all his bases.

“He checks all the boxes,” Cashman said. “He’s got the analytics side checked off, he’s got the administrative side checked off and he’s got the scouting side checked off. He’s got the leadership side checked off because he’s a great communicator."

Source

Also, I hadn't known that the Angels wanted to make Eppler Dipoto's assistant in 2011. 

Edited by failos

"He’s not a pure analytics guy, nor is he one that relies solely on old-school scouting. He’s seen everything the industry has to offer and utilizes it all, something a modern-day GM must do in order to cover all his bases.

“He checks all the boxes,” Cashman said. “He’s got the analytics side checked off, he’s got the administrative side checked off and he’s got the scouting side checked off. He’s got the leadership side checked off because he’s a great communicator."

Source

Also, I hadn't known that the Angels wanted to make Eppler Dipoto's assistant in 2011. 

What stopped them?

The Yankees countered by making him assistant to Brian Cashman to keep him from leaving. 

Link says:

Eppler — who finished second to Jerry Dipoto for the Angels GM job in late-2011 — took a big-picture approach to the situation, showing no bitterness after being passed over for the second time in less than three years.

Wonder why so many teams passed on him

I'm not holding that against him but it is funny that Dipoto beat him out twice (2011 and 2015) and he also lost the Padres opportunity. He also passed on pursuing the Dbacks GM opening. At least he is sought after by numerous teams even though he was never the number one choice until today...and it almost feels like a default at that.

I'm not holding that against him but it is funny that Dipoto beat him out twice (2011 and 2015) and he also lost the Padres opportunity. He also passed on pursuing the Dbacks GM opening. At least he is sought after by numerous teams even though he was never the number one choice until today...and it almost feels like a default at that.

but the Jerry haters said, that he would never find a GM job again. It's kind of funny that the new Angels GM was passed over twice in favor of Jerry

How do we know the angels and eppler didn't have a hand shake agreement that they wouldn't announce till after the season? And how do we know eppler didn't turn down the Mariners job?

We don't know that. Most of the people on here saying that assume the worst of the Angels whenever possible.