• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels Chase Chase?

Hamstring injuries can be tricky. It's yet to be seen whether he'll be at 100% when he returns.

Yea, that's true. I guess if I was in his shoes I would want to go to a team where I could make a difference, get playing time, go to the post season, and play in the post season, assuming I deserve it. The bottom line is Utley controls his destiny, if he wanted to play for the Angels, he could tell them he would only accept a trade to the Angels. I am sure the Dodgers are better lined up to be in the post season than the Angels at this point. Dodgers could be tough in the playoffs, or they could suck because their pen is awful.

I should clarify that this is my interpretation of what COTS says regarding his contract which you can all read here: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league/philadelphia-phillies/

It seems pretty cut and dry but without seeing the actual contract language I have to trust what COTS is saying.

Beyond that I suggested two low-level prospects or, if the Phillies offer to absorb his remaining salary and maybe some next year (whether that is the $2MM buyout or something more) then perhaps its someone like Tyler Deloach or Nate Smith, although I don't really like the idea of Smith getting moved for Utley. Unfortunately we are in competition for his services so I'm thinking the price is going up by the day as Chase continues to rake.

So yeah I was about right, wrong team. This was a missed opportunity that I think the rudderless Angels FO will likely regret.

Dodgers seem to do whatever they want.

I kind of like what they do. We sit on our hands.

Jeff Fletcher said earlier in the week that this was strictly an Utley decision.  He held the hammer in this with his no-trade clause. He basically picked his team.  So, presumably, for whatever reason or reasons, he picked the Dodgers...

I miss Jerry Dipoto...he would have had this done days ago.

Even the Rangers have been able to pull off a trade the past couple of days. (Venable from SD)

I guess seeing Cowart in the bigs will have to be enough.

Except he would have traded Cron for Utley, gotta give to get you know.

• 2 months later...

Would anybody here be open to picking up Utley for cheap? Just a 1 year deal makes sense for him to be able to rebound to his real value. 

He had a shitty 2015 to say the least; I know, I know.

But lets look past an injured season split between different teams and look at his previous 2 years. His stat line for those 2 years were .276/.343/.438. That OBP would be extremely welcomed here. He's old and he isn't a 30 hr, 100 RBI guy anymore, but how about .250/.330/.420  and solid defense? He was a 4.4 win player just a year ago today. 

He's not ideal, i'd rather go with Zobrist or maybe Howie. But if we can go cheap on Utley, trade for 3B (or roll with our young guys) we have the money for a big signing. I wouldn't be completely opposed to it at that point.

Just a though..

In a heartbeat. Guy is probably bored as frack.

As an FYI, all of his peripherals are similar to his career levels except his babip is around .200. His line drive rate is 19%. Career it's around 20%. His hr rate is down.

He's a postseason beast as well

He's better than Gia. Way better. Even now. Gia has been getting lucky and he's still not that good. At he very least, chase would be a huge defensive upgrade. Let Gia come off the bench and pinch hit as mr clutch.

Pay his salary. Don't give up a player, and watch him carry this team to the playoffs.

Bat him third between trout abd Pujols. Kole leads off. Murphy 5th everyday. Even vs lefties. Let cron play when he's hot. Mix victorino in here and there. Etc etc.

This is his swan song. He's waiting for an opportunity to motivate. Let's give it to him.

Utley's line for the Dodgers .202/.291/.363/.654

Giavotella Aug/Sept  .295/.327/.448/.775

Sign Freese ... then have in house players compete for second base.

I don't understand the love for freese. He's a decent bat, he fits good with the team, but is he really worth 10 million? I'd understand if we were stuck Ina left field type situation where we had nobody competent to fill the hole but I wouldn't mind seeing our younger guys at 3rd or a trade for a vet if possible. 10 million can be allocated elsewhere.

Edit:

With 13 million we can have a completely shut down bullpen in O'Day and Bastardo/Soria. And then replace Freese via trade or slightly drop off w/ in-house options.

Edited by marcosantinia12