• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels Chase Chase?

What we have to lose is that it ties the hands of the next GM financially, and potentially we lose a young prospect or two.  For $15M per year, we could potentially get Howie back in 2016, and he's less injury prone.

Edited by tomsred

What we have to lose is that it ties the hands of the next GM financially, and potentially we lose a young prospect or two. For 15M per year, we could potentially get Howie back in 2016, and he's less injury prone.

Tom as I stated in the article if he doesn't work out for the remainder of this year you can cut him for $2MM next season?

Also he won't cost $15MM next year because he spent time on the DL this year. His salary at most next year is about $12.8MM give or take.

On top of that if he doesn't get 500 PA's next year or each of those succeeding years the following year becomes a club option meaning we don't have to keep him.

There is little risk here. If he gets 500 PA's year over year it is because he is not injured and producing which is what we would want anyway.

Paying for a 2-3 WAR player on the free agent market is going to cost about $15MM-$25MM per year anyway?

Tom as I stated in the article if he doesn't work out for the remainder of this year you can cut him for $2MM next season?

Also he won't cost $15MM next year because he spent time on the DL this year. His salary at most next year is about $12.8MM give or take.

On top of that if he doesn't get 500 PA's next year or each of those succeeding years the following year becomes a club option meaning we don't have to keep him.

There is little risk here. If he gets 500 PA's year over year it is because he is not injured and producing which is what we would want anyway.

Paying for a 2-3 WAR player on the free agent market is going to cost about $15MM-$25MM per year anyway?

Okay, thanks for the clarifications.  That seems to make it more attractive.  I should have re-read your opening article once again.

His wife is from San Francisco, and I've read reports that the four strongest suitors are the Giants, Cubs, Angels and Yankees.

Edited by tomsred

In a heartbeat. Guy is probably bored as frack.

As an FYI, all of his peripherals are similar to his career levels except his babip is around .200. His line drive rate is 19%. Career it's around 20%. His hr rate is down.

He's a postseason beast as well

He's better than Gia. Way better. Even now. Gia has been getting lucky and he's still not that good. At he very least, chase would be a huge defensive upgrade. Let Gia come off the bench and pinch hit as mr clutch.

Pay his salary. Don't give up a player, and watch him carry this team to the playoffs.

Bat him third between trout abd Pujols. Kole leads off. Murphy 5th everyday. Even vs lefties. Let cron play when he's hot. Mix victorino in here and there. Etc etc.

This is his swan song. He's waiting for an opportunity to motivate. Let's give it to him.

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. That seems to make it more attractive. So what do you believe the cost would be to actually get him?

His wife is from San Francisco, and I've read reports that the four strongest suitors are the Giants, Cubs, Angels and Yankees.

I should clarify that this is my interpretation of what COTS says regarding his contract which you can all read here: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league/philadelphia-phillies/

It seems pretty cut and dry but without seeing the actual contract language I have to trust what COTS is saying.

Beyond that I suggested two low-level prospects or, if the Phillies offer to absorb his remaining salary and maybe some next year (whether that is the $2MM buyout or something more) then perhaps its someone like Tyler Deloach or Nate Smith, although I don't really like the idea of Smith getting moved for Utley. Unfortunately we are in competition for his services so I'm thinking the price is going up by the day as Chase continues to rake.

Edited by ettin

I should clarify that this is my interpretation of what COTS says regarding his contract which you can all read here: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league/philadelphia-phillies/

It seems pretty cut and dry but without seeing the actual contract language I have to trust what COTS is saying.

Beyond that I suggested two low-level prospects or, if the Phillies offer to absorb his remaining salary and maybe some next year (whether that is the $2MM buyout or something more) then perhaps its someone like Tyler Deloach or Nate Smith, although I don't really like the idea of Smith getting moved for Utley. Unfortunately we are in competition for his services so I'm thinking the price is going up by the day as Chase continues to rake.

I don't like giving up Nate Smith as well, but it's going to be a tough thing to pull off given the Cubs, Giants and Yankees are our competition. Those team have a lot of resources.