• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels Chase Chase?

Why get a .179 hitter to replace a .271 hitter? I mean, I get it that the Angels prefer service time over performance but holy ****.

Vladdy I need you to look past the numbers that Utley has put up in the first part of this year where, through Utley's own admission, he was injured (ankle) and his swing mechanics were messed up.

In 2012, with 362 PA's, Utley produced 3.3 WAR. In 2013, with 531 PA's, he produced 3.9 WAR. In 2014, with 664 PA's, he produced 4.5 WAR. In 2015, playing injured with approximately 240 PA's, he has produced -1.1 WAR.

Now as players age, particularly after 30, they will enter a decline phase. Most MLB writers will tell you that averages about -.5 WAR per year.

Do you really honestly think that Utley went from being a 4.5 WAR player to a -1.1 WAR player in the course of one year? Although possible, but not probable, it would defy statistical analysis being at least 4+ deviations outside the standard aging curve. All of this clearly points to his injury and swing mechanics being a major and critical contributor to his troubles this year.

Selectively picking numbers (the .179 AVG) without providing context, definition of why and more importantly without looking at the aggregate of his professional career where he has excelled is inaccurate.

It would be like saying that Giavotella's 2015 is a fluke because of his (short) career numbers before that. I like Giavotella but it is clear that this year, so far, he has struggled getting on base vs. RHP. Will that always be the case? I doubt it. In the Minors he had nearly identical OBP's vs. both sides of the mound and, considering his age, he might still figure it out vs. RHP. Then again he might not. If he doesn't then that means about 70% of the time Giavotella will be getting on-base about 30% of the time which is below league average.

If you want some more information about Utley's performance pre and post injury Jeff Sullivan wrote about that here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-reason-to-believe-in-chase-utley/

Apparently he's choosing between us and the cubbies. His no trade clause doesn't give the Phillies a lot of options. Seemingly he can be had cheap.

This may sound crazy but the Phillies win by trading him. If they keep him, those stupid fans we will want to keep him. He's beloved. If they move him now, they avoid that. They can pull the "we hope he wins" line while really thinking, "don't let the door hit you in the ass."

The phils would take anything to eliminate that bad PR situation.

This may sound crazy but the Phillies win by trading him. If they keep him, those stupid fans we will want to keep him. He's beloved. If they move him now, they avoid that. They can pull the "we hope he wins" line while really thinking, "don't let the door hit you in the ass."

The phils would take anything to eliminate that bad PR situation.

And then he will brainwash Trout and get him to go to the Phillies once he is a FA.

Don't do it, Stoneman!!!

Sosh needs a vet who has been there and done that for the last month and a half

Would you guys please knock this stupid horseshit off. If you don't have any clue how to respond then just don't respond otherwise stuff the Scioscia crap back up you own ass for a while.

And I'm not singling you out, Nando, the rest of you Rainman can go join AO in self ban purgatory if you can't use your brains for some actual thought instead regurgitating the same bullshit.

Would you guys please knock this stupid horseshit off. If you don't have any clue how to respond then just don't respond otherwise stuff the Scioscia crap back up you own ass for a while.

And I'm not singling you out, Nando, the rest of you Rainman can go join AO in self ban purgatory if you can't use your brains for some actual thought instead regurgitating the same bullshit.

Is Utley an upgrade from johnny, murphy (dh) or pujols (1b). Utley wants guaranteed playing time Edited by nando714

Is Utley an upgrade from johnny, murphy (dh) or pujols (1b). Utley wants guaranteed playing time

I'm not sure it would be a good move but he would be an upgrade over DeJesus or Victorino....play Murphy in LF and DH Utley....Personally, I'd rather stick with Cron, who is hot.....

Utley could be a short term solution until Freese comes back. Maybe play Gia at 3b and see if Utley catches fire. Essentially if he only takes some at bats from Featherson, Gillespi, or DeJesus I'm all for it. 

If he wants to go to a place where he will be getting consistent playing time, I would expect him to take at bats away from Giavotella and Cron rather than those you listed, which is why I am against this move.

The Angels could have had him for free...and passed. So, there is little chance they are going to pick up most of his contract, and send along attractive prospects...hell, pick up any of his contract, and send along attractive prospects.

This is what gets me. The author is suggesting that we send prospects in addition to picking up this contract, or at least part of it. Utley is already 36 years old. Counting on guys that age to be everyday players isn't a great idea, nor is surrendering anything of value in order to acquire them.

Is Utley an upgrade from johnny, murphy (dh) or pujols (1b). Utley wants guaranteed playing time

I don't think 5 at bats coming back from the DL says he has turned the corner at age 36 and would be an improvement.

Since 2007, his peak year at age 28, Utley has been on a steady decline with 2013 being an outlier. That was two years ago he looked like the Chase Utley you trade for. Now he looks like a Victorino who had a good year two seasons ago, and now you trade for and find he really has little to contribute that isn't already on the bench.

He could have that last hurrah month or just be another guy on the extended roster that uses up innings trying to determine if he will get hot.