• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Randal Grichuk Is Cardinals' Best Slugging Prospect Since Albert Pujols

jecho_21

If you look at Grichuk's minor league numbers, they're not that spectacular. He had good rookie and A- years, and a good A+ year in 2012 (.298/.335/.488), but his AA with the Angels (.256/.306/.474) and his AAA with the Cards (.259/.311/.493) were nothing to jump and scream about, or at least project him to put up the kind of production he's doing in the bigs now.

I'm sure others can chime in too, but I'm not so sure anyone could have predicted him to have this level of impact in the majors.

People need to look beyond the triple slash numbers and to the predictive stats...   His performance was masked by the hitting environments he was in.  And while nobody was predicting this sort of a breakout, we were in fact talking about his showing some really good characteristics that made his hackiness less of a kiss of death.

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/6944-randal-grichuk/?hl=%2Brandal+%2Bgrichuk

Edited by Inside Pitch

his walk rate has improved considerably since mid june but his other peripherals are not sustainable.  He probably ends up around .800-.825 for ops.  With good speed and defense.  That would be terrific for us right now.  

That trade was always about how Grichuk ended up.  Everyone knew it.  It was mildly defensible until now and it's going to keep getting worse and worse.  bummer for us.  

First off, BR SUCKS!  It's seriously the worst sports website I know of.  Second, where is a list of all the players the Angels have traded away that turned out to be junk?  I'd venture that that list would be bigger than the ones that turned out to be worth anything.

I think we all knew at the time of the deal that the Cards would get the better of it. Their organization>Angels...hell, their org is probably the best in MLB.

Bourjos for Freese...sure, fine. Just made no sense to throw Grichuk in to get Salas back, who was likely going to be non-tendered by the Cards anyway. Ooph

Yup, Cards > Angels

We could have traded Mathis for Yadier Molina and still come out on the short end!

On the bright side...Grichuk's performance is pretty fluky. His BB and K rates are pretty bad and his BABIP is .386. He should more or less be more of a Trumbo like hitter. Low BA, low OBP but with legit power

Still pretty valuable though, especialy since he's cheap and provides good OF defense. Team certainly could have used him patrolling LF this season, obviously

There's probably an element of Grichuk overachieving but at the very least he's showing he'll be an above average corner outfielder for a long time to come and that's being conservative.

I detested that trade at the time and it looks so damn awful now. As the years go by it's only going to look worse too.

I'm just glad this board's crush on 0 for Fourjos seems to be simmering down. 

Amen. Bourjos is one of the worst hitting CFers in the league.

Bourjos is a -0.3 WAR this season.

I believed years ago that Calhoun would become a better player than Bourjos.

Calhoun may not yet be a .800 OPS OFer but he's around the .770's & the defense he brings makes him a plus.

Bourjos may be a better glove but his bat is bad to the point he makes a lineup worse in more ways than his numbers,

he's an easy out & the hitters around him don't benefit from that at all.

In bourjos defense the way hes being used in st louis isnt going to help his WAR...WAR uses accumulated stats. Bourjos is being used mainly as a late inning replacement for defense and running. Typical 4th outfielder...

He does have a .325 OBP this year..that would be very solid here. Hes still one of the best gloves in baseball and is a very good baserunner.

Hes not as good as aome here thought hed be, but nowhere as bad as others try to make him

In bourjos defense the way hes being used in st louis isnt going to help his WAR...WAR uses accumulated stats. Bourjos is being used mainly as a late inning replacement for defense and running. Typical 4th outfielder...

He does have a .325 OBP this year..that would be very solid here. Hes still one of the best gloves in baseball and is a very good baserunner.

Hes not as good as aome here thought hed be, but nowhere as bad as others try to make him

Kind of like a slight upgrade over Robertson?  Robertson BA = .288, OBP = .307, not as fast as Bourjos, but a pretty good fielder also at all three positions.  We'll see where DeJesus, Murphy and Victorino take us, but next year we should get a good look at Robertson, Marte and Green in the outfield (problem being they are all right handers).  They may be as good as the first three.  Of course it would be nice to have a stud, full time LF'er.

Edited by tomsred

Not sure what's wrong with Petey's WAR... the Angels love replacement level outfielders so much they traded for 3 of them.

Could be partly due to his base stealing ability being down this year, For a guy as fast Bourjos he's been caught 6 times & stolen only 5 bases this year.

His range factor per 9 innings is down this year too, below the league average for a CFer.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP