• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Randal Grichuk Is Cardinals' Best Slugging Prospect Since Albert Pujols

jecho_21

Randal Grichuk is second only to Stanton in generated exit velocity and 4th in exit velocity...   The power is real and only now manifesting itself.

His .922 OPS is better than all the brand name NL ROY candidates...   Duffy, Pederson, Byrant -- none of them are within 100 points of Grichuk.   Guy's got the glove and arm to match -- 3 WAR in 254 at bats...

If the Angels 2010 draft is in the conversation for one of MLBs worst all time, then the 2009 Draft has to be in the conversation for one of the best ever...

Trout, Grichuk, Skaggs, Richards, Corbin and just for shits and giggles -- Jake Locker.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think we all knew at the time of the deal that the Cards would get the better of it. Their organization>Angels...hell, their org is probably the best in MLB.

Bourjos for Freese...sure, fine. Just made no sense to throw Grichuk in to get Salas back, who was likely going to be non-tendered by the Cards anyway. Ooph

Edited by bloodbrother

This has the potential for at least 20 pages. What's your guess?

The day that Dipoto have away Bourjos and Grichuk-- the worst trade in franchise history since Vernon Wells--I promised to never stop bitching about it. I'll see what I can do.

It was a bad trade at the time, now looks terrible.

Amazing how things work in a domino effect. Imagine this...

*The Angels sign Adrian Beltre in the 2010-11 offseason, which means...

*They don't panic and trade Napoli for Vernon Wells. (Of course that could mean that Reagins isn't fired, which could have led to a different godawful move, but this is make-believe...)

*Having Beltre at 3B means they don't need Freese, so they keep Grichuk and Bourjos, which means...

*There would have been no need for Josh Hamilton and we'd currently have the following lineup:

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

LF Grichuk

1B Pujols

3B Beltre

DH Cron

SS Aybar

C Iannetta

2B Gio

...with Bourjos as a 4th outfielder, or having been traded for someone better than Salas or Freese.

And yeah, I realize that Beltre is in decline, but he was pretty good through last year.

What could have been...

Edited by Angelsjunky

Bourjos doesn't get enough credit. Not a great hitter, but he's doing all the other things well, and has been a factor in several wins this year for the Cardinals. The whole team plays so well, each part contributing to the whole. They lose Wainwright, Holliday, and Adams, and still have the best record in baseball.

Edited by fan_since79

Randal Grichuk is second only to Stanton in generated exit velocity and 4th in exit velocity...   The power is real and only now manifesting itself.

His .922 OPS is better than all the brand name NL ROY candidates...   Duffy, Pederson, Byrant -- none of them are within 100 points of Grichuk.   Guy's got the glove and arm to match -- 3 WAR in 254 at bats...

If the Angels 2010 draft is in the conversation for one of MLBs worst all time, then the 2009 Draft has to be in the conversation for one of the best ever...

Trout, Grichuk, Skaggs, Richards, Corbin and just for shits and giggles -- Jake Locker.

Jesus, that is an upsetting list.  Just disaster. 

On the bright side...Grichuk's performance is pretty fluky. His BB and K rates are pretty bad and his BABIP is .386. He should more or less be more of a Trumbo like hitter. Low BA, low OBP but with legit power

Still pretty valuable though, especialy since he's cheap and provides good OF defense. Team certainly could have used him patrolling LF this season, obviously

If you look at Grichuk's minor league numbers, they're not that spectacular. He had good rookie and A- years, and a good A+ year in 2012 (.298/.335/.488), but his AA with the Angels (.256/.306/.474) and his AAA with the Cards (.259/.311/.493) were nothing to jump and scream about, or at least project him to put up the kind of production he's doing in the bigs now.

I'm sure others can chime in too, but I'm not so sure anyone could have predicted him to have this level of impact in the majors.