• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Future LF is....

Not that he's an option for a call up any time soon, but Nat Delgado has been pretty decent in A Ball.  The only reason I say this is because outside of Ricardo Sanchez, whom we dealt for Kyle Kubtiza, Delgado's one of the very few high profile teenage international signing the Angels have made.  He figures to be a power hitter eventually, but hasn't realized his potential yet.  He's also continually playing against competition 3 years older than he is and has held his own for the most part. 

Not that he's an option for a call up any time soon, but Nat Delgado has been pretty decent in A Ball.  The only reason I say this is because outside of Ricardo Sanchez, whom we dealt for Kyle Kubtiza, Delgado's one of the very few high profile teenage international signing the Angels have made.  He figures to be a power hitter eventually, but hasn't realized his potential yet.  He's also continually playing against competition 3 years older than he is and has held his own for the most part. 

one of my favorites.  sweet swing.  

I think the halos are about 10-15 games from throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks in LF.  Green, Kieshnick, Marte, Krauss, Kubitza, Bandy, Brown etc are all about to get their shot.   Wouldn't mind seeing Marte get a look.  

Like Natalie Imbruglia, I'm "Torn".

One the one hand, Kubitza is everything the Angels lineup needs. Left handed, good pop, great plate discipline, young, durable and athletic. Putting him out in LF would ensure his bat would be major league ready next year when he takes over 3B for Freese. But his defense at 3B is also improving little by little in AAA. Do we want to risk that progression by moving him to LF?

Then again, we have Grant Green who has done nothing but hit. He's playing a pretty decent LF too. Undoubtedly, if they give him a chance, he'll price more effective than Joyce/Cowgill. But he isn't left-handed and wouldn't give the Angels the power or OBP they're looking for.

But perhaps they spend a few of their pitching prospects and acquire the LF that they need. That blocks Hinshaw then, who has been the bright spot in AA. Has power, speed, average and is now reaching base at a higher clip than ever before. Combine that with good defense and you have a pretty good LF or 4th OF.

I also wonder if such a trade and the subsequent cost in terms if dollars said LF will make, will that preclude the Angels from acquiring a DH? Much as I like Cron, it is increasingly clear that he needs a year in AAA to work on some things. He's really struggled this year. And Joyce certainly isn't an option for DH because that requires hitting, which he isn't doing.

I think the Angels should go all in for Josh Reddick.  Oakland is fading, and I think they will listen to any and all offers to get young talent.  I'd offer them Featherston, Heaney, and Krauss (or Cron for that matter) for starters, and maybe a little bit of cash.

Edited by tomsred

I think the Angels should go all in for Josh Reddick. Oakland is fading, and I think they will listen to any and all offers to get young talent. I'd offer them Featherston, Heaney, and Krauss (or Cron for that matter) for starters, and maybe a little bit of cash.

That seems like a lot to give up for Reddick.

History says Reddick's numbers are going to come back down to earth sooner than later. He's never been much of a batting average guy and he's hitting .328 right now.

It's tough to do anything mid may, you'd have to most likely over pay for anyone worth a damn. But I agree we desperately need to do something. That's why I like the thought of JBJ, Red Sox could really use some pitching and Bradley's value has never been lower.

History says Reddick's numbers are going to come back down to earth sooner than later. He's never been much of a batting average guy and he's hitting .328 right now.

It's tough to do anything mid may, you'd have to most likely over pay for anyone worth a damn. But I agree we desperately need to do something. That's why I like the thought of JBJ, Red Sox could really use some pitching and Bradley's value has never been lower.

Jon Bon Jovi?

I'm on board the JBJ train but I would still want a LF/RF and a DH. Stash JBJ in AAA for the year.

No matter who becomes our left fielder it seems increasingly likely that Kubitza will get called up near the trade deadline and Freese will be moved into a platoon at DH and Cron either moved down to AAA or traded for someone like Adam Lind or perhaps Brandon Moss. In fact Moss might be a LF target, possibly.

Kubitza would provide more left-handed balance (along with a Lind or Moss). This way the left fielder acquired could be either right-handed or left-handed (or switch hitter) and it would still keep the lineup pretty balanced.

Edited by ettin

I don't get the Jackie Bradley thing.  He's gets all of his value from playing a position he wouldn't be playing with the halos.   Same with AJ Pollock

you don't give up equal value for a player at a certain position and then not put him there.  It would be like a team paying full SS value for Aybar and then putting him at 2b.  

We've got very good LF defense/sub par bat covered with Cowgill.  

We need a bat. 

I don't get the Jackie Bradley thing. He's gets all of his value from playing a position he wouldn't be playing with the halos. Same with AJ Pollock

you don't give up equal value for a player at a certain position and then not put him there. It would be like a team paying full SS value for Aybar and then putting him at 2b.

We've got very good LF defense/sub par bat covered with Cowgill.

We need a bat.

I want him for the future not our need now. His value is low so if we could get for a RP then let's do it. Stash him in AAA and make him a September call up. We would still need to address DH and LF.

maybe dipoto can pry AJ Pollock from Arizona. I really like him, he can hit well, steal bases, and play defense. Plus it doesn't seem like Arizona is super high on him, they're platooning him with ender inciarte.

I was going to post this the other day. I'm a big Fan of Pollock, he's a solid all around player who'd fit nicely atop the lineup.

Dave Stewart is pretty much Kevin Towers all over again. I wonder if we could get an arm like Aaron Blair along with Pollock for Shoemaker or Santiago, then flip Blair in a package for a MOTO bat

Kubitza's just a really hard case ettin, with no right answer.

His defense at 3B has improved so much since coming over to the Angels. They really are miracle workers for infielders. But he's only improved to become merely passable as a 3B. He's a worse defender than Freese, who is pretty average. But Kubitza has the athleticism and arm to eventually be a good defender there, but he needs TIME.

Promoting him, it may or may not be detrimental to his growth on defense. Or it could be the boost he needs once he sees what he must become. At the same time, giving him a healthy amount of AB's in the majors could ensure he's prepared to take 3B and run with it next year.

If we promote him and put him at 3B, our defense gets worse, but he likely gets better in the future. If we promote and put him in LF or DH, his ability to play 3B will have lost crucial development time and hurt us next year, but he'll get the AB's needed. If they keep him in AAA, we're gambling in his bat next year, but his glove will almost certainly be ready.