• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Future LF is....

What do you mean they're going in on the Angels?

- we have 3 hitters (2-3-4) in our line up and zero depth after that

- every positing has been a disaster besides cf, rf, 1b. they used the word disaster a lot.

- we miss howie more than we think

- we're not catching houston with this current line up

- sp has been better than expected and bullpen is good enough to win.

- Hector Santiago is joining them shortly

- we have 3 hitters (2-3-4) in our line up and zero depth after that

- every positing has been a disaster besides cf, rf, 1b. they used the word disaster a lot.

- we miss howie more than we think

- we're not catching houston with this current line up

- sp has been better than expected and bullpen is good enough to win.

- Hector Santiago is joining them shortly

I agree with everything they've said. 

Sad that even under those circumstances, if Pujols would be anything like he was last season to this point, we'd probably be neck and neck with the Astros rather than 6 back. 

I agree with everything they've said.

Sad that even under those circumstances, if Pujols would be anything like he was last season to this point, we'd probably be neck and neck with the Astros rather than 6 back.

No Chuck, that isn't true. It would take a lot more than last years version of Albert to get us 5 games better.

No Chuck, that isn't true. It would take a lot more than last years version of Albert to get us 5 games better.

Disagree, Strads.... Earlier in the season when Calhoun and Trout were on base, Pujols was NOT delivering like he would last season. We may not be 5 games better, but a lot closer to 1st place than 6.5 games out. 

Disagree, Strads.... Earlier in the season when Calhoun and Trout were on base, Pujols was NOT delivering like he would last season. We may not be 5 games better, but a lot closer to 1st place than 6.5 games out. 

Pujols has been putrid with men on base, incredibly bad.  But I still have a hard time blaming any one guy.   We had 3-4 weeks where Shoemaker and Weaver gave the team no chance at all.  We had all of three hitters show up in April, Trout, Calhoun, and Giavotella everyone else posted an OPS of .705 or below.  May's not been very different or better... Trout, Ianetta (who everyone wanted gone in April), Pujols, and Aybar, showed up...  Everyone else has been at .683 or lower including the new clean up batter.

Its hard for a team to have any semblance of offensive continuity when 2/3 of the lineup is always stone cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Kirk Nieuwenhuis was just DFA'd by the Mets. He is a left-handed bat with power. He is capable of decent walk rates but strikes out a lot. He only had 40 PA's this season with a horrible BABIP driving his slash line down into oblivion.It couldn't hurt to make a minor trade for him and test him out in LF (against RHP only) where his defense has been good. If we get closer to the deadline and he isn't working out trade for a different LF. Alternatively he could be a platoon DH option that definitely wouldn't break the bank.He seems like a guy you could take a flyer on but the Angels may not like his splits issues.

And now the 2nd part comes true..... Those were serious splits issues and if he can't even hit his good side I can see why they DFA'd him.

I was against the hamilton deal from the get go. Assumed his numbers would dip here (though not as much as they did), didnt think hed relapse. But at the time i felt our offense was fine and wanted pitching.

I have to admit though, maybe it wasnt such a bad move (at the time, not with everything that happened). IP posted numbers a few posts back about what current left fielders are hitting. There really isnt too many impact bats out there. Seems like every off season uou coupd grab a corner outifeld bat and add 20 home runs to your lineup, not anymore though

David Murphy is denifitely an interesting option, but again with those names, we are teetering on the edge of non-impact.

It seems evident the Angels are in need of not only an upgrade but an impact bat, a long term solution not only to our offensive woes but one this can specifically play LF for a few years.

Now obviously Dipoto is reluctant to part ways with the SP depth they have created, but judging by team needs, he can afford to. Skaggs, Heaney, Newcomb and possibly Tropeano, Ellis and Smith will be ready to bump less effective pitchers out of the rotation soon. Some within the next year or so. Dipoto is also a fan of the 8-deep model if starting pitching. By current measure, after our starting 5, we have Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, Ellis, Smith, Newcomb and Rhoades (I don't count Alcantara or DeLoach simply because I view them more in a relief capacity).

That leaves the Angels 12-deep, at least on the surface. Now after next year, Weav and CJ are gone, but they're likely to have guys like Joe Gatto and Greyson Long emerge as potential options by then, making the 12-deep idea pretty permanent.

In my mind, this opens up the Angels with the ability to trade at least 4 away. The likeliest mix would be a lower tiered starter at the major league level, a couple mid tiered starter in AAA/AA and a high upside starter down low.

I think this means a package of Santiago, Tropeano, Ellis and Rhoades. Hector because his stock is way up even though the Angels view him as a better RP. Tropeano and Ellis simply because they have enough upside and polish to step in almost immediately but also don't have Newcomb/Skaggs/Heaney upside. Rhoades because that a nice lotto ticket to have.

So the better question in my mind is, what can Santiago, Tropeano, Ellis (I don't want to trade him but confess that it's likely he will be dealt) and Rhoades be able to get the Angels?

How bout trying to get a guy like Craig Gentry. He always hits us well. He plays a very good outfield, and would be a great pinch runner late in games.

Because he hits us well. As an Angel, he would no longer face the Angels' pitching staff.

I'd want Pollock for that package.

If we gave up 4 starting pitching prospects we better be getting an IMPACT bat, sure pollock is good would love to have him in left and leading off but we better be getting more back than just that for that package. Maybe if we could pry goldschmidt away from the d-backs we could throw in another piece and get them both. Move pujols to Dh, goldy to first, and pollock in left that deepens our lineup and adds a feared bat to hit 4th. Maybe I'm just underestimating what the trade market looks like right now though if we couldn't even get Ben Revere and his .640 ops for a reasonable package.

If we gave up 4 starting pitching prospects we better be getting an IMPACT bat, sure pollock is good would love to have him in left and leading off but we better be getting more back than just that for that package. Maybe if we could pry goldschmidt away from the d-backs we could throw in another piece and get them both. Move pujols to Dh, goldy to first, and pollock in left that deepens our lineup and adds a feared bat to hit 4th. Maybe I'm just underestimating what the trade market looks like right now though if we couldn't even get Ben Revere and his .640 ops for a reasonable package.

I'm sure the Diamondbacks will be chomping at the bit to trade Goldschmidt for that return.