• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Future LF is....

Yoenis Cespedes: He'll be cheaper than the Uptons/Heywards on the market, has good power, and that arm!!

He does strike out a ton, and steals a lot less than his rookie year.

Carlos Gomez: If the Brewers fall too much further, they might look to move him. Contract expires after 2016. Has power and speed.

Strikes out a bit (not as much as Trout), and is a Boras client.

I looked at your list... not too many options, but here's a few more that I think can be had.

Scott Van Slyke. (Good stats in the bigs & minors, tons of power)

Peter O'Brien (Converted catcher, tons of power)

Preston Tucker (OF Power hitting prospect in AAA, Astros)

From your list, I think Dominic Brown would be the best get. 

He possesses a solid career minor league slash line and is still relatively young. 

.294 .371 .457

I looked at your list... not too many options, but here's a few more that I think can be had.

Scott Van Slyke. (Good stats in the bigs & minors, tons of power)

Peter O'Brien (Converted catcher, tons of power)

Preston Tucker (OF Power hitting prospect in AAA, Astros)

From your list, I think Dominic Brown would be the best get. 

He possesses a solid career minor league slash line and is still relatively young. 

.294 .371 .457

Good list Chuck.  I knew about Tucker and O'Brien but I purposely left them off just because I felt there were too many remote minor league options that I just didn't have the time to personally explore and include into an article.  Of all of those, I agree with you completely, Dom Brown fits the bill almost perfectly and by far, makes the most sense in my mind. He'll be coming from a losing team that'll make him available, he's left-handed, has the upside you'd want.  

But it makes too much sense, and things that make too much sense generally don't happen, with the exception of that one time we got Mark Teixeira.  I get the horrible feeling they're going to get CarGo though, only to find out what any fine with access to bbref.com knows, CarGo isn't good outside of Colorado. 

As for Carlos Gomez, I can't see that happening.  Dipoto talks about having guys that are good off the field and Gomez has unfortunately developed a poor reputation.  He's the right sort of player they'd target, but it's also important to ask what the cost would be.  Likely more than they paid for Grienke or Street.  I'm talking the same deal it'd take for Brantley.  Sean Newcomb, Alex Yarbrough, Jeremy Rhoades, Chris Ellis.  I just wouldn't feel entirely comfortable paying that. 

And Trumbo, I think Jerry traded him away to acquire pitching.  I can't see him trading that pitching right back for Trumbo. 

I'm not a dominic brown fan personally.  

He's a poor defender, doesn't work counts and may have turned into a pumpkin last year.  

would love to get Van Slyke.  But the dogs would want Major league pitching in return I think.  

Tuckers looks good by the numbers.  My guess is that we'd probably have to give up a very good arm to get him though.  

Say no to Gomez.  Not a good guy.  

Yeah, the Angels are dealing from a position of strength when it comes to pitching.  I don't see a ton that Santiago offers as a starter that someone like Heaney or Tropeano doesn't. 

If the Dodgers need an inconsistent #3 starter or a good #5 starter (basically Santiago's a 4th starter) and are able to part ways with Van Slyke in order to acquire it then great.   It'd help both teams. 

Ahhhh Scotty you beat me to the punch! LOL.... It's easy to do so nowadays as I have precious little time for writing with my work schedule.

You covered quite a few options and most of them are really not what the Angels need or want either because of their contracts, bloated BABIP's, splits, etc. as you pointed out. Ideally that LF should be a high OBP type, hitting left-handed primarily (so that Green or Cowgill can platoon), for a 1 or 2 hole spot. Frankly there aren't many options in that regard either.

AAA or AA prospects might be the way to go for the Angels. You could toss names like Aaron Hicks (Twins have Buxton and he would provide excellent defense and has a track record of high OBP), Alex Castellanos (another high OBP but defense might suffer some, also RH though), Billy Burns (Switch hitter w/excellent speed but doubtful the A's would trade him in-division), and Preston Tucker (Astros farmhand but again Houston may not trade in-division mid-season).

If the Angels found a defensively gifted prospect with high OBP and some speed that would probably be the right fit for us at the moment. Power's always great but the options out there are not fantastic.

We needs to not be trading away pitching

Our pitching is fine and we have a surplus of it. We have several options to choose from to replace Weaver/Wilson over the next year or two. 

You have to deal from your strengths to strengthen through trades your weaknesses.

I don't see how pitching is a strength. This team is bottom half of the AL in most relevant pitching stats, including one of the worst in MLB in home runs allowed. There's very few sure fire prospects in the minors, and in two years the rotation is losing two starters.

This team has no strengths

I don't see how pitching is a strength. This team is bottom half of the AL in most relevant pitching stats, including one of the worst in MLB in home runs allowed. There's very few sure fire prospects in the minors, and in two years the rotation is losing two starters.

This team has no strengths

Santiago, Wilson, Richards have been fine, Shoemaker is getting his velo and arm strength back (10 K's last night, looked good). Weaver needs to be fixed. We have some good SP prospects on the way and close. 

fqRUtPgz.jpeg

He's off to a slow start with regards to his BA, but his OBP is nice (.369), as is his walks/strikeouts (21/19), with 7 SB and 19 runs scored from the top of the lineup.

I'm a big Sherman Johnson fan. Having him in LF and leading off would give our team a boost IMO. 

Santiago, Wilson, Richards have been fine, Shoemaker is getting his velo and arm strength back (10 K's last night, looked good). Weaver needs to be fixed. We have some good SP prospects on the way and close. 

Yeah, not to mention we have more Mike Trouts than anyone.  He's a strength by himself.