• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Future LF is....

I like the idea of a younger AAA with some upside type guy.  Probably better than a Joyce/Cowgill platoon.  Might be worth taking a chance...

Heck just play Green and see what happens.

I doubt we have the money for Heyward.  He isn't hitting in St. Louis yet, but he will and the same Gold Glove level defense is present.  He'll hit the market at age 26 and some team is going to pay dearly for the expected production between ages 26-32.  He can be a 30/30 player, similar to Kemp a couple years back.  Not sure that'll ever happen, but the talent and youth is there.  That results in money. 

Oddly enough, Upton's proven performance will likely only garner an equal or lesser contract due to the fact that he'll be hitting Free Agency in his age 28 season. Honestly, I'm not sure the Angels have the long term financial ability to acquire either of them without accepting the luxury tax as a way of life as the Dodgers and Yankees do.

We can operate just under it with Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Weav and Wilson on the payroll.  And in the next three seasons, we'll see Weav, Wilson and then Hamilton off.  But that money is simply going to be replaced by the money they'll need to commit to Richards, Shoemaker and Calhoun. 

The Angels will need offense, not only now, but for the next 5 seasons down the road because outside of Kubitza, Yarbrough, Hinshaw and Delgado, there isn't much projectable talent.  Not only are they going to need to trade some of that pitching depth for a hitter, they're likely going to need to explore free agency too.  Otherwise, it's going to come down onto the shoulders of C.J. Cron, Kyle Kubitza, Giavotella to be top or middle of the order hitters. 

I'm optimistic it will happen, but you have to give yourself options in case it doesn't.  Right now, those options aren't present. 

Pray the Cards lock him up.   His bat is overrated and it's not likely a move to the AL will help his offense any.

Guerrero's a good hitter, like many Cubans are that come over. They're like the opposite of the Japanese. But again, Guerrero would be a rental because of that stipulation in his contract. But if I had to choose one Dodger for the team, it'd be him.

Couldn't we negotiate an ext during the season? That stipulation might save us on what would have to give up in terms of prospects.

FYI the Angels are also open to moving Calhoun to LF for the right RFer, so that opens things up.

this is the 'good' news. I said the other day a corner outfielder is probably the easiest piece to aquire as opposed to middle infield, catcher etc. Worst case scenario i imagine at the break someone becomes available.

Right RF'er sounds like some kind of shift against lefties

How about Kyle Schwarber? If the Angels are out of it by the break, maybe something like Shoemaker plus Ellis and/or Rhoades. Maybe even Street, the Cubs could use a closer. Idk, I'm terrible at putting together these hypothetical trades.

As I'm sure many of you saw, Jim Duquette has recommended the Angels trade both Sean Newcomb and Andrew Heaney for Carlos Gonzalez, and in other news, Jim Duquette is officially as stupid as Jim Bowden and should be allowed to write about baseball. 

CarGo's legs are gone, and there's talk from Rockies camp that they'll trade him simply to get out from under the final years of his contract.  But yeah, let's trade two of the top LHP prospects in baseball for a non-valued commodity.  Good idea. 

Honestly, I think right now, I'd try any in-house option I can think of, be it Green, Brown, Kubitza or Hinshaw. Because if none of those work, then you can try to trade at the deadline or in the offseason.  The best target I see right now is Upton.  The Padres are gonna be in it to win it, no way they are seller sat the deadline.  

But, they may not be able to offer him top dollar in free agency either.  The best route may be for Arte to accept the Luxury Tax and surpass it for a younger, proven big bat.  Otherwise you can take a shot in the dark and try to get Dom Brown and then hopes he puts it all together. 

How about Kyle Schwarber? If the Angels are out of it by the break, maybe something like Shoemaker plus Ellis and/or Rhoades. Maybe even Street, the Cubs could use a closer. Idk, I'm terrible at putting together these hypothetical trades.

What is Schwarber's defense, pitch framing, arm, and handling of pitchers like though?

He does project as a strong hitter with excellent OBP potential (higher BA version of a young Napoli?).

Edited by Angel Oracle

What is Schwarber's defense, pitch framing, arm, and handling of pitchers like though?

He does project as a strong hitter with excellent OBP potential (higher BA version of a young Napoli?).

I think you're spot on about the Napoli comparison, although I think Schwarber will hit for a higher average. Defensively, he's below average at C and LF, he's better off at 1B or DH

There is no way in heck the Cubs trade Schwarber.  He won't be a catcher in the majors, he'll move out to LF, and when you slot him into a lineup with Soler, Bryant, Rizzo, Russell and Baez, bad things are gonna happen to pitchers. 

As for Carlos Gomez, there's nothing wrong with him, other than the fact that he's a known jerk-face.  He can play ball though. 

I like the idea of a younger AAA with some upside type guy. Probably better than a Joyce/Cowgill platoon. Might be worth taking a chance...

Heck just play Green and see what happens.

What is with you guys ... Green is a light hitting bat. Angels need a power bat in the middle of the lineup. I thought you guys wanted this team to win.

Dipoto needs to make a trade.

I would be very disappointed if we gave up anything of remote value for Cargo. He's a pure salary dump at this point.

I'd rather dance with the girl we brought.

I think in the story I wrote the reasons Cargo doesn't make sense. I included him more to shoot it down that anything, since he's a name people have suggested.