• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

Addiction is a disease. He can't help heal his addiction by pulling his head out of his ass any more than he could help heal a broken arm that way. It needs treatment like any other condition.

In terms of overall attitude, not being an asshat would help him, though, yes.

Yes but what if someone with a broken arm refused to follow the doctor's instructions? They kept lifting heavy stuff and did things their doctor forbid. Would that person not be a guilty asshat? 

Josh has had EVERY luxury to defeat this "disease" and yet continues to fail. He has more resources on his side than countless every day people who battle their way through. 

The only conclusion I can end up with is he is choosing his path and doesn't truly want change. 

Yes but what if someone with a broken arm refused to follow the doctor's instructions? They kept lifting heavy stuff and did things their doctor forbid. Would that person not be a guilty asshat? 

Josh has had EVERY luxury to defeat this "disease" and yet continues to fail. He has more resources on his side than countless every day people who battle their way through. 

The only conclusion I can end up with is he is choosing his path and doesn't truly want change. 

That kind of talk may send Josh into a shame spiral.  That wouldn't validate him as a human being.

Oh, I agree completely. He's an asshat, he's had a lot of extra chances, and he's got far more resources at his disposal than most people do. With ANY Illness the onus is on the patient to agree to follow the treatment plan and make a commitment to being healthy - and Josh isn't doing that at all. This is all on him. And I will never say "he can't help it" because while addiction is a disease, he has the choice to get help. Josh is responsible for his actions and they're reprehensible.

However I just took exception to the idea that someone can just decide they're going to stop being an addict and boom, they can do it, and maintain longterm sobriety, without any help. To me that's like telling someone with a broken arm that if they simply decide that their arm isn't broken anymore, they will be cured.

Does that make sense?

Edited by AngelsSurfer

Oh, I agree completely. He's an asshat, he's had a lot of extra chances, and he's got far more resources at his disposal than most people do. With ANY Illness the onus is on the patient to agree to follow the treatment plan and make a commitment to being healthy - and Josh isn't doing that at all. This is all on him. And I will never say "he can't help it" because while addiction is a disease, he has the choice to get help. Josh is responsible for his actions and they're reprehensible.

However I just took exception to the idea that someone can just decide they're going to stop being an addict and boom, they can do it, and maintain longterm sobriety, without any help. To me that's like telling someone with a broken arm that if they simply decide that their arm isn't broken anymore, they will be cured.

Does that make sense?

nope

Unlimited everything on the boat, except blow.

What now, smart guy?  What now???!?

addicts McGyver sh** out of the resources on hand. It may not be cocaine, but if he really wanted to he will come up with something.

A little pruno for starters

Edited by Lou

addicts McGyver sh** out of the resources on hand. It may not be cocaine, but if he really wanted to he will come up with something.

A little pruno for starters

yeah, there was an alcoholic fireman who killed a biker on PCH near Seal Beach.  Went to lockup... made some sort of booze out of freaking handsoap.

Does that make sense?

Yes, Very balanced. Sobriety is hard work. Hard work I conclude Josh doesn't buy into. 

I don't know what it means to be an addict.  I do know that its apparently terrible and very difficult.  Therefore, I feel bad for Josh and don't really want to judge him.  It is unfortunate that he has relapsed.  To his credit, it appears that he came forward with this news, and to me that suggests that he really does want to do right.  Its just a shitty situation.  I think just about everyone here was super excited when the Angels signed him.  I know that I definitely wanted to think that he would not have druggie problems and would anchor a powerful 1-4 punch for the Angels.  It was on paper the kind of line up we desperately wanted during the 04-08 years.  Due to that I was extremely excited about bringing him in.  Unfortunately it just has not worked out.  His personal problems make it crappier.  I hope the guy can get right.  But at this point I hope that the Angels and Josh Hamilton are able to part ways.  The guy doesn't belong in any spot light, even one a light handed as the OC.  The Angels took a chance on him and its been disastrous.  I would hope that some kind of clause exists in his contract that gives an Angels an out in this kind of situation.  This is not an Arod error.  Hopefully the club doesn't have to get horribly burned by it.

EDIT: And I see now that there is apparently no out. :(

Edited by UndertheHalo

I do wonder if this case might be the impetus to make changes in the contracts down the line. I totally get that there would be pushback from the players' union, but the idea that a team has no recourse to release a player who is a danger to themselves or others seems absurd.

I'm suddenly remembering that incident from the playoffs where Josh was at bat and hit the catcher. It was an accident but it does seem like the type of thing that can happen when one's spatial awareness isn't quite there...

Edited by AngelsSurfer

I do wonder if this case might be the impetus to make changes in the contracts down the line. I totally get that there would be pushback from the players' union, but the idea that a team has no recourse to release a player who is a danger to themselves or others seems absurd.

it should be standard morals clause in all mlb contracts. there's absolutely no reason why employees being compensated in the 1% shouldn't be held to a "moral standard".  let the mlbpa fight it. they'll lose a public opinion battle and will have to cave, just as they did the PED battle.

It's simple guys.

Anyone with any sort of addiction are wired differently. Like someone with autism, learning disability, or even psychological issues like depression, panic attacks, or anxiety.

Where some of you get that there is some sort of on and off switch is absurd and ignorant. I'm guessing you guys believe retards should suddenly have better motor skills or people with anxiety disorders should stop being pussies?

There's a lot that goes into everyone's make up. From genetics, to childhood development, to traumatic events. Who know what or why he became an addict or has addictive personality disorder, but it's his makeup and with him the rest of his life like his hair color.

It's just astounding that some here who probably have a deemed normal life think that's the norm for everyone and people that don't live or fit in their makeup are some how terrible people or treated like some kind of **** up.