• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

I have a close friend who quit heroin over 15 years ago. He has quit smoking cigs several times since then and even went as long as 6 months before smoking again.

Bart: And I'll take up smoking, and give THAT up."

Homer: Good for you, son. Giving up smoking is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do. Have a dollar.

Lisa: But he didn't do anything!

Homer: Didn't he, Lisa? Didn't he? ..Hey, wait a minute. HE DIDN'T!

I don't know about "hardest", but I will tell you it was extremely difficult.

I've quit trying to quit. Thing is, I'm young. So who gives a f*ck. 

Quitting's for quitters.

Also for people with greater willpower than I, but that's an argument for another time. 

I went to Jose Mota's twitter to see if I could gain any insights into the Josh situation.  Nothing there, but I did find this:

Outstanding rental-car experience with @silvercar #AudiA4 - Try it yourself, by using JOSEMOTA code… https://instagram.com/p/zgEjIBMRyQ/ 

https://twitter.com/JoseMota05/status/570353370508062721

His recent attitude showed something was not right.

Since yesterday I've been thinking about which caused which (if they're even related) - had he already relapsed when we saw him clearly out of it at the end of last season, or was he depressed and that's what led him to relapse . . 

I'd bet that's not how it happens. It happens watching beer commercial after beer commercial. He sees his teammates celebrating with champagne and bets after winning the division.

Excuses; After a short time in recovery you learn you can not shut off life.

One day he goes fishing with a buddy and the guy cracks open a beer for himself. The guy offers him a beer after he's had a couple.

Responsible; I should know what my surroundings are going to be and make necessary provisions for such an event. My sobriety is that important to me. 

Josh says no but eventually thinks "It's one beer and I've been sober four years. I will be okay". One beer turns into a couple and suddenly he just can't properly weigh the consequences of his actions.

Honesty; If Josh had been completely honest with himself, he'd know immediately where the one beer leads. In that scenario, he probably knows the guy is packing coke as well.

He and some guys go out partying and there is the coke.

Responsibility; Again, know your surroundings

Should he have said no to the beer? Absolutely. But I have trouble condemning Hamilton as scum of the earth for taking it even knowing it could lead to worse stuff.

Scum? No, not scum. Just a garden variety addict. 

Everyone here has given into peer pressure and temptation before even when we know it's bad. We all will again.

And some will pay a bigger price than others.

Plus it's not like his family depends on his money to survive. Hrs banked more money than he can snort in 3 lifetimes and his wife is going to be on TV.

Correct, his family most likely doesn't depend on him to bring home money any longer. They depend on the sober him coming home. 

It's nice that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that type of thinking is exactly what he doesn't need. 

Edited by Jim

That is a blanket statement.  Is there any time that an addict wants to be an addict?  In other words, selfish?  We see selfish people in every walk of life.

Yet, I read plenty here from Josh supporters that he is helpless.  He's an honorable man in the midst of something he can't control.  He wants to quit, but (throws up his hands) whaddya gonna do??

Has there ever been an addict that actually thinks "F 'em - my employer, my family, my teammates"?  Ever?

Yes. A lot of addicts do exactly that.

Addiction is a very selfish beast. People abandon jobs and family to continue their drug usage