• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton meets with MLB officials about a disciplinary issue

SoWhat

I'd bet that's not how it happens. It happens watching beer commercial after beer commercial. He sees his teammates celebrating with champagne and bets after winning the division. One day he goes fishing with a buddy and the guy cracks open a beer for himself. The guy offers him a beer after he's had a couple. Josh says no but eventually thinks "It's one beer and I've been sober four years. I will be okay". One beer turns into a couple and suddenly he just can't properly weigh the consequences of his actions. He and some guys go out partying and there is the coke.

Then he's even dumber than I thought, and his buddy is a moron.

i was actually asking because i thought it would be beneficial to hear your

viewpoint on the topic (if you were so inclined,that is)

and,no, i'm not an addict.  I have,however, been accompanying one to meeting 2-3 times a week for several months now. 

You have attended far more meetings than anyone (not having an addiction) I know. I would be interested in your take on the subject. Maybe in a different forum perhaps.  

And we still haven't even gotten to MLB's decision on what will happen with him regarding punishment, etc

this thread has a chance to go down as the longest in AW history.

I still can't believe we got to 50 pages for the Mark Trumbo trade thread. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/02/26/josh-hamilton-relapse-mlb-suspension-roy-silver/24060571/

Roy Silver, one of Josh Hamilton's closest friends and a mentor in his struggles with addiction, says the best thing for the Los Angeles Angels outfielder is to retire from baseball.

Silver's most recent concerns go back as far as last summer, when the Angels played the Rays in Tampa.

He said Hamilton - who this year is entering the third year of a five-year, $125 million contract - complained about his struggles with motivation.

"He talked about that he was having trouble getting up for games.'' Silver said. "I don't know whether it was a self-realization or depression. He has to find a way to get yourself up, or you have to man up. He has a job to do. And I'm not big into stealing people's money."

"Baseball has never driven Josh,'' says Silver. "People don't understand that. He just loves to hit. And he loves to dive.

This is right in line with my thinking.  I have mentioned in my posts in past threads that I hope Hamilton does the right thing and retires.  I don't want to be a broken record so let's hope he takes his mentors advice.

Edited by beatlesrule

This is right in line with my thinking.  I have mentioned in my posts in past threads that I hope Hamilton does the right thing and retires.  I don't want to be a broken record so let's hope he takes his mentors advice.

I rate the chances of Hamilton (or anybody else for that matter) retiring and walking away from 90 million dollars right up there with peace breaking out in the Middle East....

Retiring might be the healthiest thing for him to do right now for his own sake. If he really IS interested in getting help for addiction, it's going to be a hard thing to do when he's playing baseball six days a week and traveling a lot.

Retiring might be the healthiest thing for him to do right now for his own sake. If he really IS interested in getting help for addiction, it's going to be a hard thing to do when he's playing baseball six days a week and traveling a lot.

If he really just "broke down" and used something one time then he doesn't need help he just needs to pull his head out of his ass and focus on work.

If he really just "broke down" and used something one time then he doesn't need help he just needs to pull his head out of his ass and focus on work.

If it were a one time thing, would there be all this drama? And would they be talking suspensions? Addicts have a hard time doing something just once and then stopping. It's why they're addicts.

Also, with addicts falling off the wagon, even once CAN be justification to pursue some more intensive help in staying clean.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

I'd bet that's not how it happens. It happens watching beer commercial after beer commercial. He sees his teammates celebrating with champagne and bets after winning the division. One day he goes fishing with a buddy and the guy cracks open a beer for himself. The guy offers him a beer after he's had a couple. Josh says no but eventually thinks "It's one beer and I've been sober four years. I will be okay". One beer turns into a couple and suddenly he just can't properly weigh the consequences of his actions. He and some guys go out partying and there is the coke.

I knew a guy who was a former heroin addict who said if he had one beer at a bar his next step would be getting as much cash as he can come up with, going somewhere he knows he can score then locking himself in a hotel room where he'd get high until he runs out and worry about the consequences later.  This is a guy who was married with kids and had been sober for over 15 years at the time.  He volunteered at the methodone clinic so he'd lived through the worst of addiction, saw it every day and would live with it the rest of his life.  His solution was to never drink, not put himself in situations where he might be tempted (i.e. going to a bar) and plan accordingly if he was going out with friends who did drink.  

Hamilton knows if the team wins the division or a playoff series people will drink and champagne will be sprayed.  He knows that if he hangs out with friends who are going to a bar they're probably going to drink.  He knows that if he watches alcohol commercials and doesn't change the channel it may tempt him.  I would never belittle him or anyone else in his situation but that's all a part of dealing with addiction and at the very least you have to put yourself in the best possible situation.  Even just one slip up and years of sobriety can mean next to nothing because it's like you never stopped.  

I knew a guy who was a former heroin addict who said if he had one beer at a bar his next step would be getting as much cash as he can come up with, going somewhere he knows he can score then locking himself in a hotel room where he'd get high until he runs out and worry about the consequences later.  This is a guy who was married with kids and had been sober for over 15 years at the time.  He volunteered at the methodone clinic so he'd lived through the worst of addiction, saw it every day and would live with it the rest of his life.  His solution was to never drink, not put himself in situations where he might be tempted (i.e. going to a bar) and plan accordingly if he was going out with friends who did drink.  

Hamilton knows if the team wins the division or a playoff series people will drink and champagne will be sprayed.  He knows that if he hangs out with friends who are going to a bar they're probably going to drink.  He knows that if he watches alcohol commercials and doesn't change the channel it may tempt him.  I would never belittle him or anyone else in his situation but that's all a part of dealing with addiction and at the very least you have to put yourself in the best possible situation.  Even just one slip up and years of sobriety can mean next to nothing because it's like you never stopped.  

Jesus.

Who does the background checks and risk analysis when the Angels are thinking about laying out $125,000,000?

I think it's admirable that he would come forward and attempt to get help.  Hopefully he can find a way to get better.

That said, if he can't motivate to play and doesn't care about his job yet chooses to show up, fill space, and collect a paycheck just for the money, then I have a hard time supporting him.