• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels GM Jerry Dipoto says no more likely moves; team ready for spring training

AngelsWin.com

You couldn't possibly be that dense. You must be a troll. Good day.

Please enlighten me on how this team has improved then? Grant Green starting for Howie Kendrick? An unproven pitcher who has gone 0-3 in the majors and who throws a junk 90MPH fastball? 

Edited by MBell

Please enlighten me on how this team has improved then? Grant Green starting for Howie Kendrick? An unproven pitcher who has gone 0-3 in the majors and who throws a junk 90MPH fastball? 

I'm sure you were saying the same thing last year with the 2 unproven arms they got back for Trumbo. How would they replace his 34 hr's and 100 RBI

....and then the team won 20 more games than last season.

Here's some ways they can improve(though kind of hard to improve from having the best record in MLB)

- Full season of Street as the closer + a deep pen. Should hold leads at a much better clip than they did to start the year last season with Frieri stinking it up

- Continued growth from Shoemaker and Calhoun. 2 players who finished up their first full seasons. Could see uptick in production from both

- Hamilton being useful.

- Cron/Krauss/??? taking reps at DH. I'll just say that they'll outproduce what Ibanez gave them for the first few months

- Heaney, a top prospect who is MLB ready, providing stability at the backend of the rotation in case CJ/Santiago falters

You can honestly go on and on. What if CJ Wilson rebounds? Quit focusing on 1 aspect of the team. 2B probably got worse, though who knows how much. I'd say that they don't have anybody on the roster who will provide the type of defense Howie brought at the 2B position, but their collection of bats could provide similar value with the bat that Howie did last year

Jumping back on topic, I wouldn't surprise if we were done. Hell, last week I was with some board members and we expected a quiet winter with minimal or depth type acquisitions.

I think we either get more depth stuff or deals like Howie where it falls on his lap to improve the team overall and for the long term. I don't think he's actively trying to wheel and deal. Team had the best record in baseball, no need to make dramatic additions or subtractions. 

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, I agree with MBell insofar as the Angels probably lost a win or two by replacing Howie with Green/Rutledge and Heaney won't make up the difference - in 2015, that is. So the Angels traded away a couple wins next year for many more down the line. I really like the trade, and what Jerry's been doing this offseason, but in that trade at least he carved a bit from next year to add to years to come.

As a side note, I'm starting to think more and more that this is the real Dipoto - that the Pujols and Hamilton moves were truly all Arte, and that left to his own devices Jerry never would have signed them.

"As a side note, I'm starting to think more and more that this is the real Dipoto - that the Pujols and Hamilton moves were truly all Arte, and that left to his own devices Jerry never would have signed them."

Agree with this thought.  Seems out of character for a GM who has been focused on getting cost controlled talent to make those signings. 

Green has always hit in the minors, hopefully he'll break through in the majors. Likewise, Rutledge has always hit in the minors and hopefully will break through in the majors. At least one of them should, anyway.

And you clearly don't get what the Angels got in the trade. Andrew Heaney was the Marlins #1 prospect, and will move into the same slot in our organization. DiPoto said they'd have him for 6 seasons of control, because they started his clock in Miami last season, but if he doesn't get enough time in the majors this year, they can have him for 7 more likely.

He was the 9th pick of the 2012 draft. Can throw as hard as 97, but usually will throw his fastball in the 90-95 range. He has a smooth low effort, and repeatable delivery but a deceptive one. Supposedly has impeccable fastball control. But his best pitch is his slider, and also has a plus changeup. Entering last season he was ranked as the #30 overall prospect. This season I've seen him ranked 15th (granted that was a fantasy specific site). A comparable pitcher would be Jon Lester when he came up with Boston (not Lester now). He may be as good as Lester eventually, or he could just be CJ Wilson. Is that worth Kendrick?