• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Whiskey

On 9/30/2017 at 10:46 PM, Tank said:

tried some vodka in maui. my wife saw a bottle that she really liked and wanted to use for a souvenir so we bought it (just a small bottle). had never tried vodka so i filled the cap and drank it. it wasn't very much, but it was like a combination of rubbing alcohol and jalapeños. there was nothing remotely interesting or flavorful about it.

vodka is for shots or mixing man.  a higher end vodka that is cold is usually pretty smooth but I could never imagine sipping it.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, Jason said:

The Japanese love whiskey. Most people don't know but Suntory bought Jim Beam and Maker's Mark

oh yeah, they know their stuff. tends to be very scotch like but such a different flavor.

some of my favorite whiskeys are japanese. 

the yamazaki 18 year is other worldly delicious. hard to find though, so highly recommend the 12 year as it's pretty easy to get.

4 hours ago, mrwicked said:

that's a nice haul! curious your thoughts on them.

Blantons is my favorite. $60 bottle that is hard to get. I can only describe it as smooth in the way 1942 is to tequila. No bite, clean finish. I can’t find any defect in it, the perfect bottle of bourbon.

Angels Envy is kind of the hot item right now and came recommended by a few. Another $60 price point. I thought it was good, but it felt overrated. It has some kick up front the way Bookers does, but not the full put some hair on your chest bite. You can get this anywhere so if there is no Blantons (which is likely), this isn’t a bad grab. I should note I only grabbed the standard, I think they have two higher end years that interest me, but weren’t available......so maybe it’s like driving an entry level BMW?

Elijah Craig is just a cheapie throw in. I think $23 for a 750. I work with a dude that was the bourbon taster guy for total wine or a distributor. He recommended it as it’s regarded as one of the best for that price point. It needs air or to be cut with ice or water upon first opening, but if it sits and aerates it is a good bourbon and probably the best I had in that tier.

Blantons is perfect and is like in and out where it’s so good for the price point that it doesn’t make sense why it’s so cheap for the quality.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Blantons is my favorite. $60 bottle that is hard to get. I can only describe it as smooth in the way 1942 is to tequila. No bite, clean finish. I can’t find any defect in it, the perfect bottle of bourbon.

Angels Envy is kind of the hot item right now and came recommended by a few. Another $60 price point. I thought it was good, but it felt overrated. It has some kick up front the way Bookers does, but not the full put some hair on your chest bite. You can get this anywhere so if there is no Blantons (which is likely), this isn’t a bad grab. I should note I only grabbed the standard, I think they have two higher end years that interest me, but weren’t available......so maybe it’s like driving an entry level BMW?

Elijah Craig is just a cheapie throw in. I think $23 for a 750. I work with a dude that was the bourbon taster guy for total wine or a distributor. He recommended it as it’s regarded as one of the best for that price point. It needs air or to be cut with ice or water upon first opening, but if it sits and aerates it is a good bourbon and probably the best I had in that tier.

Blantons is perfect and is like in and out where it’s so good for the price point that it doesn’t make sense why it’s so cheap for the quality.

I am not a hard alcohol drinker, and i couldnt tell you the difference between whiskey and scotch, but I had some Blanton's two years ago and was shocked at how easy it is to drink. So smooth.

12 hours ago, wopphil said:

I am not a hard alcohol drinker, and i couldnt tell you the difference between whiskey and scotch, but I had some Blanton's two years ago and was shocked at how easy it is to drink. So smooth.

Yeah, it's dramatically different than everything I have had or tasted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 12:23 PM, mrwicked said:

oh yeah, they know their stuff. tends to be very scotch like but such a different flavor.

some of my favorite whiskeys are japanese. 

the yamazaki 18 year is other worldly delicious. hard to find though, so highly recommend the 12 year as it's pretty easy to get.

had a pour of yamazaki 18 at a place in downtown fullerton i had been meaning to check out for a while - Hopscotch.

i was impressed they had it - you don't see it at bars too often.

again highly recommended if you come across it. not cheap but so f*cking good. 

On 11/29/2017 at 12:18 PM, mrwicked said:

had a pour of yamazaki 18 at a place in downtown fullerton i had been meaning to check out for a while - Hopscotch.

i was impressed they had it - you don't see it at bars too often.

again highly recommended if you come across it. not cheap but so f*cking good. 

How much was the pour, @mrwicked?

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Wow.... did it come with a handy or BJ too?

I think the most I've ever paid for a drink was $20 bucks and even then I felt like I paid too much. 

good chance it might have come with a handy, but i was too drunk to remember. ;)

yeah pricey, was delicious. currently trying to pick up a bottle myself if i can find one. 

also - anyone done their own barrel aging of whiskey cocktails? i was at lunch at polo lounge in beverly hills last week (sitting next to a table with tom morello and tom hank's wife btw, dafuq?) and their barrel aged manhattan was f*cking awesome.  gonna try to make it myself. seems pretty straightforward.