• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Whiskey

watching ozark last night (S1E8) where they do a flashback episode of how marty got involved with del. Showed a scene where they were drinking something (bourbon? scotch? i don't remember) but it was $175 a glass for this stuff. really?!? is that legit?

5 hours ago, Tank said:

watching ozark last night (S1E8) where they do a flashback episode of how marty got involved with del. Showed a scene where they were drinking something (bourbon? scotch? i don't remember) but it was $175 a glass for this stuff. really?!? is that legit?

I've had some high level shit. Nothing of that level. I've had quality stuff like 1942 or Cruz Azul cost less than $30. I think blue label scotch is maybe around $100, but I'm not that big into scotch. The bottle is around $200-$250 so I imagine with the mark up in a bar it could be up there.

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've had some high level shit. Nothing of that level. I've had quality stuff like 1942 or Cruz Azul cost less than $30. I think blue label scotch is maybe around $100, but I'm not that big into scotch. The bottle is around $200-$250 so I imagine with the mark up in a bar it could be up there.

Yeah Blue Label is $245-ish after taxes at BevMo or Total Wine. My father in law gifted me that a whole back, but while grateful...if it wasn't gifted to me I would never buy it. It was really harsh. 

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah Blue Label is $245-ish after taxes at BevMo or Total Wine. My father in law gifted me that a whole back, but while grateful...if it wasn't gifted to me I would never buy it. It was really harsh. 

I like it, for scotch. I forget the colors, but there is a level where everything is pretty good.

41 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I’m cheap enough that I wouldn’t pay even $30 for a drink. I can’t begin to imagine paying $100 or more for one.

19 hours ago, Tank said:

that was louis XIII cognac. it's very good.

$175 is a pretty good price, it's usually $200-250 a pour.

it'll run you $3500-4k a bottle (750ml). every now and then Costco will sell a 1.75l for $6500.

great show btw, we f*cking love it.

46 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

it'll run you $3500-4k a bottle (750ml). every now and then Costco will sell a 1.75l for $6500.

wow. i'm speechless.

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Yeah, makes me laugh. You'll have the $20 bottle of Kirkland and the lock box next to it will have something for $3,500

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

My SiL has an unopened bottle of Louis XIII. Has had it for 15+ years. I always ask her to open it, but says she'll only do it at her wedding reception. Problem is, I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

good things are meant to be enjoyed, not sit on a shelf. 

here is a great scene from Neat, a fantastic documentary about Bourbon.

this is freddie johnson, 3rd generation employee at Buffalo Trace with a little story on this topic:

4 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

good things are meant to be enjoyed, not sit on a shelf for show.

this is freddie johnson, 3rd generation employee at Buffalo Trace with a little story on this topic:

If somehow I'm able to get my hands on a bottle of Pappy I will not hesitate to open it ASAP. As we all know, we aren't promised tomorrow 

Just now, mrwicked said:

good things are meant to be enjoyed, not sit on a shelf. 

Yup I'm all for being in the now, and enjoying it. Sadly, she's still waiting for her "moment". 

5 hours ago, mrwicked said:

My buddy ordered a shot of that once when we were out for a golf trip in La Quinta.  There were one and a half pours left, he said he'd buy one and a half if he could keep the bottle.  He alleged that if you took the empty bottle to where it's distilled, they'll fill it for free.  Turns out he wasn't the biggest dumbass.  It was all of us at the dinner who let another dumbass divide the bill and he included the Louis XIII

2 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

My buddy ordered a shot of that once when we were out for a golf trip in La Quinta.  There were one and a half pours left, he said he'd buy one and a half if he could keep the bottle.  He alleged that if you took the empty bottle to where it's distilled, they'll fill it for free.  Turns out he wasn't the biggest dumbass.  It was all of us at the dinner who let another dumbass divide the bill and he included the Louis XIII

na, nicely done on his part on both fronts.

they def won't refill that glass decanter though.

but they are gorgeous and you can fill it up with something even nicer than louis xiii like zima or king cobra and put it on display at home.

On 3/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, mrwicked said:

I love bulleit. It is super popular here in SF right now.

The update is my barrel is aging in port.  I had a cocktail party a while back and a friend brought me 3 bottles of port (I didn't have 2 liters of any one kind on me), so that was perfect timing. I'm letting it age with the port 6-8 weeks, so has a little while to go. 

Oh yeah I'm definitely using rye - agreed I like it better than bourbon in manhattans. As for which, at the same party another friend who works for woodford reserve brought me 4 bottles of great stuff including one of their master collection bourbon (which is f*cking awesome) and their straight rye. I had never tried their rye before, it was great so I might use that. It's a total experiment so I don't want to risk anything too fancy. But lot of options here.

Off topic - I have been drinking a lot of Barrel Bourbon lately.  Highly recommend. I have the batch #13 right here and man is it great. They are really releasing good stuff, winning lots of awards and it's not super expensive.

Did anyone here take my advice and give Barrel Bourbon a try?  Cheers if so!

Barrel just won "Best Bourbon" and "Best Small Batch Bourbon" at 2020 World Spirits Competition.

So f*cking good. 

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/barrell-craft-spirits-batch-021-named-best-bourbon-at-the-2020-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition

1 minute ago, mrwicked said:

Did anyone here take my advice and give Barrel Bourbon a try?  Cheers if so!

Barrel just won "Best Bourbon" and "Best Small Batch Bourbon" at 2020 World Spirits Competition.

So f*cking good. 

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-whiskey-press-releases/barrell-craft-spirits-batch-021-named-best-bourbon-at-the-2020-san-francisco-world-spirits-competition

No, but I am on a Zima kick.

Thank you.