• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Whiskey

On 12/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, mrwicked said:

good chance it might have come with a handy, but i was too drunk to remember. ;)

yeah pricey, was delicious. currently trying to pick up a bottle myself if i can find one. 

also - anyone done their own barrel aging of whiskey cocktails? i was at lunch at polo lounge in beverly hills last week (sitting next to a table with tom morello and tom hank's wife btw, dafuq?) and their barrel aged manhattan was f*cking awesome.  gonna try to make it myself. seems pretty straightforward.

I’ve never barrel aged but I have infused. I had a barrel aged OF at Arroyo Chophouse and it was awesome. Small batch. How big an oak barrel you think, 1 gallon?

On 11/13/2017 at 11:54 AM, Brandon said:

Recent grabs:

Blantons

Angels Envy

Elijah Craig

I still haven't had Blanton's yet so I got a bottle of Hancock's Reserve. It's made from the same mashbill as Blanton's but is barrelled higher up in the rickhouse. I am enjoying it but I can't yet compare it to the Blanton's

59 minutes ago, AngelsLongBall said:

I’ve never barrel aged but I have infused. I had a barrel aged OF at Arroyo Chophouse and it was awesome. Small batch. How big an oak barrel you think, 1 gallon?

The liquor evaporates pretty quick in those small barrels. 

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

I still haven't had Blanton's yet so I got a bottle of Hancock's Reserve. It's made from the same mashbill as Blanton's but is barrelled higher up in the rickhouse. I am enjoying it but I can't yet compare it to the Blanton's

I'd grab you a bottle but they are generally one per because of the demand. try a solid bar in the area. my local pub has it and I even was at the airport and John Wayne had it at some ducks bar in my terminal.

I'll ay this, blantons is worth the hassle.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

recently drinking eagle rare....probably the best cheapie at $30 a bottle.

trying Templeton rye now which is another $30 bottle. it's pretty good. I like how easy ryes are.

I’ve had the Eagle Rare and it is good. Pretty much everything Buffalo Trace produces is solid. Evan Williams Single Barrel is another great whiskey under $30

On 12/2/2017 at 6:35 PM, AngelsLongBall said:

I don't even know, I was probably just going to get 2-3 liter one to try out. They are all over etsy and amazon.

Gonna order one today and give it a go for barrel aged manhattans. Will be a fun experiment.

The dude that started the craze uses full sized barrels previously used for port or madeira, so that's not really an option.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2010/barrel-aged-cocktails/

On 12/2/2017 at 8:19 PM, Brandon said:

I'd grab you a bottle but they are generally one per because of the demand. try a solid bar in the area. my local pub has it and I even was at the airport and John Wayne had it at some ducks bar in my terminal.

I'll ay this, blantons is worth the hassle.

Easy way to get blanton's if places near you don't carry it - just ask bev mo to order you one for pickup.

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

I don't even know, I was probably just going to get 2-3 liter one to try out. They are all over etsy and amazon.

Gonna order one today and give it a go for barrel aged manhattans. Will be a fun experiment.

The dude that started the craze uses full sized barrels previously used for port or madeira, so that's not really an option.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2010/barrel-aged-cocktails/

Here's a 1L "barrel" that also includes a kit to turn vodka into spiced rum or bourbon

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/whiskey-and-rum-making-kit

Can also get a 2L barrel for wine or aging cocktails

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/personalized-wine-barrel

19 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Here's a 1L "barrel" that also includes a kit to turn vodka into spiced rum or bourbon

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/whiskey-and-rum-making-kit

Can also get a 2L barrel for wine or aging cocktails

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/personalized-wine-barrel

Yep, those would definitely work.

I went with this one, as I've had great experiences buying from folks on etsy.  Tthe owner was super nice too, and they will do a fun fire engraving.

Now just need to decide what whiskey to use for my barrel aged manhattans, i like them with rye.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/257219175/free-shipping-2-liter-personalized-oak

• 2 weeks later...

Got my barrel - going through the cure process now which takes a week or so. 

Trying to figure out if I want to age the cocktail in the virgin charred oak, or "prepare" the barrel itself by letting some port or madeira sit in there for a while to get that flavor. I might ask the Polo Lounge what they did since I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing.

Next step is to choose a high proof rye, so that will be fun.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Just cracked a bottle of the Kirkland Sherry Cask Aged 18 year old single malt scotch. Really good for $50. 

I stared at that Costco whiskey for a minute, but don't trust it. someone tried to tell me some similar story like how their vodka is the same as grey goose

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I stared at that Costco whiskey for a minute, but don't trust it. someone tried to tell me some similar story like how their vodka is the same as grey goose

I'd recommend it. It has to be 18 year old speyside single malt for them to label it that. It's well worth the money. My housemate just got back from a distillery tour of Scotland and he's really liking it too.

On 12/14/2017 at 9:46 AM, mrwicked said:

Got my barrel - going through the cure process now which takes a week or so. 

Trying to figure out if I want to age the cocktail in the virgin charred oak, or "prepare" the barrel itself by letting some port or madeira sit in there for a while to get that flavor. I might ask the Polo Lounge what they did since I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing.

Next step is to choose a high proof rye, so that will be fun.

Any update??

I bought a handle of the Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon at Costco because they were on sale.  I must say I liked the rye better than the bourbon in my Manhattan, it had a certain smooth spiciness to it as opposed to the bite that bourbon can have.  That would be the basis of what I would barrel age

Since I homebrew, I've tooled around with getting a still.  Now, I won't since they're illegal in CA without a permit, but I run it around my mind to see if it would be worth getting a still permit and a micro-distillery license from ABC.  Too bad their (ABC) website doesn't have a fee schedule or the forms online.  This article stoked my interest again this past weekend:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-san-diego-craft-spirits-20180211-story.html