• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can Frieri be Trusted in any Situation?

He would be claimed by Oakland.

If he can't be fixed, by anyone, then that's a perfect place for him.  If there is any chance of a turn around this year for him, you look for places to build his confidence and straighten out any mechanical flaws.  Stradling is correct, today was the perfect situation; unfortunately for him the wrong result.

If he can't be fixed, by anyone, then that's a perfect place for him.  If there is any chance of a turn around this year for him, you look for places to build his confidence and straighten out any mechanical flaws.  Stradling is correct, today was the perfect situation; unfortunately for him the wrong result.

From another thread:

Before today's game:

Frieri in the 8th: 6 innings, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 hit

Frieri in the 9th: 21 innings, 17 runs, 7 walks, 27 hits, opponent slash line .310/.362/.632

And that's before today..add 3 more runs, a walk or two (don't remember) and increase his slash line against.

He doesn't need "fixing" any longer, it aint gonna happen. He needs to be used where he now belongs.

And he doesn't belong in the 9th inning. Period.

They are trying desperately and feverishly, over and over, to pound a square peg into a round hole.

It isn't working. Letting him try to fix himself in the 9th inning, in games that count, isn't working.

It isn't working.

Try something else fer chrissakes..

Something has changed for Frieri, both mechanically and mentally, I would like to know exactly what that is, but I don't.  He has the highest save percentage of any Angels closer in history, probably keeping him out of games that are anywhere near close for awhile (regardless of inning) is a good idea, but eventually the team will have to see if he can eventually handle any pressure situation (regardless of inning) at all.  If he can't, then it will be time to jettison and move on to someone completely new.  They have to go outside for more help in the bullpen, I just hope I don't throw up when I find out who they had to give up for that outside help. 

Edited by tomsred

Here are some interesting career statistics on the top 5 Angels closers (when ranked by number of saves).  Their career save percentage is shown in parenthesis.  It doesn't support any decision on how to currently use Frieri (this is a what have you done recently, and how will you perform in the future, discussion).

1.  Percival 316 saves (86.3%)

2.  Rodriquez 208 saves (86.3%)

3.  Harvey 126 saves (81.8%)

4.  Frieri 71 saves (87.7%)

5.  Fuentes 71 saves (86.5%)

Frieri had no confidence in himself right now. It showed in his eyes today. He still can be an effective closer but for his sake let's keep him in less stressful situations for the rest of the year. I remember when KRod lost his set up role to donnely. It took pressure off him and he was able to bounce back the next year.

It concerns me that he velo has dropped to 92/93 for the last couple of games.  Overall though, they used him well today.  Maybe one too many batters.  Again, if you bring him in and he's not looking good, you take him out.  He's never been able to ham and egg it.  He either has the stuff that day or he doesn't.  

I do think he's having a mechanical or injury issue right now though.  Fastball 93 and straight.  Used to be 95 with some movement. 

Here are some interesting career statistics on the top 5 Angels closers (when ranked by number of saves).  Their career save percentage is shown in parenthesis.  It doesn't support any decision on how to currently use Frieri (this is a what have you done recently, and how will you perform in the future, discussion).

1.  Percival 316 saves (86.3%)

2.  Rodriquez 208 saves (86.3%)

3.  Harvey 126 saves (81.8%)

4.  Frieri 71 saves (87.7%)

5.  Fuentes 71 saves (86.5%)

games like today show why save pct doesnt matter.   he didnt get a blown save, but he nearly blew the game.  surely you agree that blowing a 5 run lead is worse than blowing a 3 run lead?  he blew a 4 run lead in atlanta as well which didnt count toward his save pct, so why do you care so much about save pct...

Edited by JarsOfClay