• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best I've felt about the team in years

Sure it's only May 14th, and sure they're only 3 games over .500, but this team is giving me more hope about their chances than I've had in a long time. As laagamer said in the gameday thread today, "we are playing baseball now gentlemen".

The offense, despite the sometimes ugly lineups filled with scrubs and guys hitting under .200, and the awful hitting w/RISP, seems to have a knack for scoring runs. That's a good sign. You have to think Trout and Pujols will both get going again, and when Hamilton comes back, this should continue to be a too offense capable of putting up some scary numbers at times.

The starting pitching - and I can't believe I'm saying this because I was as critical as anyone heading into the season - looks fantastic, assuming they stay healthy. Richards is a legit stud, Skaggs isn't far behind, and Weaver and Wilson are still very effective. Assuming our 5th starter doesn't completely Blanton all year, this is a great rotation.

And the bullpen . . . well the bullpen still scares the shit out of me. But hey, every team has its weaknesses, and they've actually been getting the job done recently.

Scioscia seems to be making some genuine changes in his strategy - witness his new back of the bullpen usage - and whether that's of his own volition or forced by Dipoto, it's a good thing.

This may still end up being nothing more than a tease, but for now I'm enjoying watching these guys again.

I think the culture of Dipoto and guys that can actually take pitches and get some walks is finally starting to help us out.  Guys like Cowgill, Green, Navarro, Trout, Pujols, Iannetta, Calhoun, and etc. have been racking up the walks and getting a lot of guys on the basepaths with their patience at the plate.  Even Howie is skyrocketing his OBP with some good at bats.  Currently 2nd in OPS and 5th in BB's in the AL.  

It's interesting. Grantland has a more in depth report on the team in their power rankings as the focus is on run differential in conjunction with some metrics that correlate. The record doesn't show it, but when the math averages out this team is playing better than their record indicates and I think we are starting to see that start to balance out.

It definitely makes it interesting when Hamilton, Calhoun, and Freese return. We generally tend to be homers with regards to player values, but some guys have stepped up to play ball and created some value for Jerry before the trade deadline.

5-1 is a nice little stretch. Gotta keep it going though and make up the losses the bullpen cost the team earlier....especially since Oakland isn't letting off the gas.

Edited by Brandon

I'm daydreaming of Hamilton returning in-form, Trout and Pujols emerging from their funks, and just bitchslapping every other team around for a while.  It looks like we're going to need to put together a really good streak at some point to stay with Oakland.  

Richards completely dominating, Skaggs looking solid, and Cowgill with a .422 OBP are all beyond what any reasonable person expected prior to the season, and it's really helped us get through injuries to 2 of our best hitters.  Howie and Aybar have also been at their best so far.  

I think the culture of Dipoto and guys that can actually take pitches and get some walks is finally starting to help us out. Guys like Cowgill, Green, Navarro, Trout, Pujols, Iannetta, Calhoun, and etc. have been racking up the walks and getting a lot of guys on the basepaths with their patience at the plate. Even Howie is skyrocketing his OBP with some good at bats. Currently 2nd in OPS and 5th in BB's in the AL.

I think there has been a sense of urgency indicated this year and with the shuffling the club is telling the guys if they don't play properly or perform they will be replaced.

I think there has been a sense of urgency indicated this year and with the shuffling the club is telling the guys if they don't play properly or perform they will be replaced.

yup.  look at how long Blanton stayed in the rotation last year, and how quickly Santiago lost his job this year.

yup. look at how long Blanton stayed in the rotation last year, and how quickly Santiago lost his job this year.

When Sosh and Jerry were considered to be fired at the end of last year you can't "let players play through it"

I like the mindset, but the crazy thing is that for how poor everyone writes our farm as being, dudes have really stepped up.

When Sosh and Jerry were considered to be fired at the end of last year you can't "let players play through it"

I like the mindset, but the crazy thing is that for how poor everyone writes our farm as being, dudes have really stepped up.

I think that is the kind of farm they are developing. They are going to have a lot of guys that take pitches and they won't be all stars but they are ball players. This is much better than seeing guys come up here and just struggle.

Better go after some pitching. 

Counting on the Halos displacing the A's this year or next year at the top.  

Not sure they have to go anywhere for it.  If Bedrosian and Alvarez keep teabagging AA like they have, whatever relievers may still be struggling by midseason could become expendable.  

It's interesting. Grantland has a more in depth report on the team in their power rankings as the focus is on run differential in conjunction with some metrics that correlate. The record doesn't show it, but when the math averages out this team is playing better than their record indicates and I think we are starting to see that start to balance out.

It definitely makes it interesting when Hamilton, Calhoun, and Freese return. We generally tend to be homers with regards to player values, but some guys have stepped up to play ball and created some value for Jerry before the trade deadline.

5-1 is a nice little stretch. Gotta keep it going though and make up the losses the bullpen cost the team earlier....especially since Oakland isn't letting off the gas.

That same article said the Angels had one of the toughest strength of schedules so far so being above .500 with the injuries,  a crappy bullpen, and an empty spot in the rotation is pretty good.

SLC (AAA) has a terrible record, and it's no wonder.  So many of the terrible farm system is up and playing really well.

I believe the team's success is largely due to the kids that have answered the call!

They lack any semblance of pitching too....     On the plus side, we have a lot of guys throwing extremely well at High A and below.