• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels just traded Vernon Wells to NYY

Chuck

I love how with the money he's getting paid regardless of performance, Vernon will forever have the attitude that he's too blessed to be stressed. The guy hops from one team that doesn't want him to another, to another team that doesn't want him, without even breaking that grin.

He's gotta be chuckling to himself during the flight, thinking how he's put a wrench in leagues salary system, with the way all these MLB teams keep scrambling to figure out how the hell they're going to pay him millions of dollars he'll never earn. 

still surreal he was finally dealt 

Really didn't think it would ever happen....thought he would be released at some point....no way I thought anybody would ever assume 10 or 13 million of whatever it turns out to be....major props to DiPoto....

i know that information was posted by some national writer, but i think it's incorrect. i believe that the luxury tax is calculated by using average annual salary. this would prevent teams from messing with their tax liabilities. i believe when you see differences in annual avg salary within a player's contract that the purpose is serving the teams payroll projections and not actually luxury tax obligations or threshholds.

Yes it's by Average Annual Value.  So you would be correct.  That's why Pujols is $25 million hit on our cap number even though we are paying him $16 million this year.  

My previous post about us not being close was going off current salaries, and incorrect and being under.  For tax purposes, roughly calculating, we are at $145.7 in current players, and Wells $14.5, Santana $1, and Haren $3.5.  With the Cap this year being at $178.  

@Joelsherman1: A few baseball people say Scioscia liked Wells more than #Angels mgment, and trade forces Scioscia to stick with Bourjos in CF even (cont)

there was also this

Danny Knobler ‏@DannyKnoblerCBS 17h

Wells to Yankees is great news for Peter Bourjos. Bourjos supporters in organization feared that Scioscia would play Wells over him.

Yes it's by Average Annual Value.  So you would be correct.  That's why Pujols is $25 million hit on our cap number even though we are paying him $16 million this year.  

My previous post about us not being close was going off current salaries, and incorrect and being under.  For tax purposes, roughly calculating, we are at $145.7 in current players, and Wells $14.5, Santana $1, and Haren $3.5.  With the Cap this year being at $178.  

i wonder if this means they're planning on extending Trout after this season, they still have a ways to go to be at risk of exceeding the tax cutoff by any significant amount but a long contract for Trout (if you look at it in AAV terms) taking effect during the 2014 season and several years beyond that could be significant.

Vernon Wells is expected to take his physical for the Yankees on Tuesday in Tampa, Florida.

The trade won't be official until the physical is completed. The Yankees are going to pay $13 million of the $42 million left on Wells' contract, which makes it a relatively decent deal for Anaheim. Wells is expected to start against all left-handers and some righties in New York.

That freed up $13 million is so big for this team. Depending on how the relievers work out, they could maybe bring Brian Wilson in if his recovery is going well...or some other FA RP

Ramon Ramirez and Mark Lowe got cut in the past few days, and more should be suffering the same fate in the coming days, in addition to the FAs that have been out there already.

Wouldn't mind adding 1 or 2 of those guys, none of them are worldbeaters, but I'll take decent middle relievers.

Saving $13 M of the $42 M certainly helps, but it's not a huge upgrade. I'd imagine they are not getting anything back of substance, but maybe Dipoto did fool Cashman into giving up a diamond in the rough.

That being said, it could be Bobby Wilson even if we are hoping for Austin Romine.

Do buyouts count towards total payroll?