• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels just traded Vernon Wells to NYY

Chuck

That freed up $13 million is so big for this team. Depending on how the relievers work out, they could maybe bring Brian Wilson in if his recovery is going well...or some other FA RP

No thanks. We already have enough damaged arms and elbows on this staff. Don't need another warm body sitting on DL collecting a paycheck.

Ramon Ramirez and Mark Lowe got cut in the past few days, and more should be suffering the same fate in the coming days, in addition to the FAs that have been out there already.

Wouldn't mind adding 1 or 2 of those guys, none of them are worldbeaters, but I'll take decent middle relievers.

Ramirez has looked awful this spring, Lowe much less so.  I fear the Angels will need to dumpster dive for some RP the next few days.

Saving $13 M of the $42 M certainly helps, but it's not a huge upgrade. I'd imagine they are not getting anything back of substance, but maybe Dipoto did fool Cashman into giving up a diamond in the rough.

That being said, it could be Bobby Wilson even if we are hoping for Austin Romine.

It may mean your boy Jimenez gets to stay up along with Calhoun.   Regardless of what we get back, it's a net positive to clear 6.5 mil and a roster spot for someone younger and of greater use at a position of potential need.

What great news -- didn't see what we're getting in return other than some salary relief........how much of Wells' contract were we able to dump?

I assume we're still paying at least 50% of his remaining contract...........still, that's a deal for us.

what are we getting in return? some third level, single A not quite prospects?

What great news -- didn't see what we're getting in return other than some salary relief........how much of Wells' contract were we able to dump?

I assume we're still paying at least 50% of his remaining contract...........still, that's a deal for us.

what are we getting in return? some third level, single A not quite prospects?

I think most reports have it that the $kank$ are paying $13 million of the $42 owed to him...More than most of us were expecting.

Well, whatever the deal is, it's good for everyone involved at this point.

that being said, expect Wells to hit a game winning HR against us when the Yankees come to Anaheim.....I can just see that happening.

still, I don't think any of us will be regretting this deal, even when THAT happens.

I think most reports have it that the $kank$ are paying $13 million of the $42 owed to him...More than most of us were expecting.

Yes it's by Average Annual Value.  So you would be correct.  That's why Pujols is $25 million hit on our cap number even though we are paying him $16 million this year.  

My previous post about us not being close was going off current salaries, and incorrect and being under.  For tax purposes, roughly calculating, we are at $145.7 in current players, and Wells $14.5, Santana $1, and Haren $3.5.  With the Cap this year being at $178.  

I was actually lurking on some Yankees forums lately to see what they think about the Wells deal. It turns out a few people like the trade from there end and explained that there's actually a very interesting luxury tax loophole being exploited by Cashman and Dipoto.

Salary for the purpose of the luxury tax are usually calculated based on average annual value. This is not true for cash considerations sent over as part of a trade though. Cash sent in trades is not averaged out, it's charged against the luxury tax of the team sending the cash, and credited toward the luxury tax of the team receiving the cash year by year.

The breakdown of the money to be paid out is as follows:

in 2013: Angels pay Wells $9M, Yankees pay Wells $12M

in 2014: Angels pay Wells $20M, Yankees pay Wells $1M

For luxury tax purposes, assuming no cash changes hands in trades, Wells counts as $18M/year. this means the salary as counted toward the luxury tax is adjusted as follows:

in 2013: $9M toward tax cap for Angels, $9M towards cap for Yankees

in 2014: $20M towards tax cap for Angels, -$2M towards cap for Yankees.

Yankees actually get a $2M credit against their payroll cap in 2014. Since they're on a mission to get under the luxury tax cutoff in 2014 this is likely the real reason why they're willing to pay so much more for Wells than anyone would've ever expected.

Also, since luxury tax rates escalate based on number of consecutive years a team goes over, this helps both the Angels and the Yankees. Angels will be under the cap  for 2013 and likely over in 2014. Yankees will be over in 2013 but likely under for 2014. Without the trade it's possible both teams go over in both years. 

Consider that Wells gets more playing time and a real possibility of helping the Yankees, and this unblocks Calhoun and others on the Angels and this trade is a genius move all around. 

Consider that Wells gets more playing time and a real possibility of helping the Yankees, and this unblocks Calhoun and others on the Angels and this trade is a genius move all around. 

Definitely a good move for the Angels.

David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein

Vernon Wells is here, said he was always quietly a Yankee fan, even in Toronto and LA. Will play tonight

Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN

Vernon Wells is here, wearing 56. Excited to be a Yankee, said he tried to hide the smile when told of trade.

----

THIS SHIT IS HAPPENING

----

Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN

Vernon Wells is here, wearing 56. Excited to be a Yankee, said he tried to hide the smile when told of trade.

David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein

Vernon Wells is here, said he was always quietly a Yankee fan, even in Toronto and LA. Will play tonight

THIS SHIT IS HAPPENING

He's wearing 56? Did Cashman think he was getting a relief pitcher?