• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Game of Thrones

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

As I watched last night's episode I couldn't help not really caring about Arya but I credit the writers/actress because they've made her almost robotic with her hatred towards Cersei.  It appears she's now heading to Winterfell and her demeanor changed hearing that Jon had taken back the north.

I don't think she is going back to Winterfell.

It's funny, in an episode with so much action I thought the best scene was the one with Arya when Nymeria comes back.

There is a scene with Arya, maybe in the first episode, but definitely early season one, where she is being punished for her tomboyish behavior, and her mother tells her that one day she will grow up to be a lady and she will marry a lord and have children, to which Arya replies "that's not me." At the time that was the only future she had - then in an instantl her whole life changes the moment Ned Stark loses his head. 

There is a fleeting moment after Hot Pie tells her about Jon retaking Winterfell that she thinks she can go back - until she meets Nymeria. Nymeria is a wild animal, now a pack alpha, not a domesticated pet. She pleads with her to 'come home' but Nymeria walks away. In that moment she is faced with her own reality, she isn't who she used to be, and maybe she never was. "That's not you."

I was thinking.  Even though Theon made the mega pussy move, it was probably the right on.  Yara is fucked either way.  Sometimes you have to know when you're beat.  Theon lives another day.  Maybe he'll get a shot to redeem himself.  

Also, I really enjoyed this article from Bill Simmons website.  It's a dermatologist breaking down Sam's form when working on Jorah.  Pretty fun read. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I guess this was the hyper condensed / plot driven episode we knew we were going to get with just 7 episodes this season. Waaayyyyyyy too much stuff happening at once, though I can't blame them for not having the budget to extensively shoot all of those big battles (Im sure there are plenty more too come).

Given what we saw though, I think this episode could've been directed or edited a little better.

First extended scene with daenerys, Jon, Davos and Tyrion was great. Final scene was well done also. But I'd agree, they are certainly moving quickly. Lots of storylines made huge jumps. Told the wife...Jon is there already? First few seasons would have taken the whole season. 

14 hours ago, red321 said:

First extended scene with daenerys, Jon, Davos and Tyrion was great. Final scene was well done also. But I'd agree, they are certainly moving quickly. Lots of storylines made huge jumps. Told the wife...Jon is there already? First few seasons would have taken the whole season. 

I was pretty sure Jon and Daenerys would meet this episode, if only because it would be impossible to slow down the plots of your two main characters in a truncated season.

I personally appreciate a slower pace. Danny's forces taking Casterly Rock is a significant plot point, which I thought could've used a bigger build up (even if the weak payoff would be the same). The Lanisters taking out the Tyrells and taking over High Garden is a huge swing in the power balance of Westeros. It's disappointing that Jaime could be in bed with Cerci in Kings Landing in one scene then killing Lady Olyna in High Garden the next. 

This is where Dan & Dave just press Fast Forward on the remote to get to the end.

14 hours ago, red321 said:

Also consider just how much time was dedicated to Jamie taking back Riverrun. It was really insignificant plot wise but full of great character development because of the pacing. These two sequences deserved the same treatment, especially given that they killed off a long running character. 

oh, I don't necessarily disagree, they certainly took two huge issues (Casterly Rock and destruction of House Tyrell) and compressed them into 5 minutes. I'm guessing most of this season is tied up in settling Westeros and while those are big items in and of themselves...when it comes to Westeros it really will down to Daenerys/dragons and King Landing. This season certainly does feel a little rushed.

I thought it was effective.  There's going to be a final battle show down before it fully moves into the living vs. the undead battle.  I'm sure that will be given the time it deserves. I fully expect an awesome massive battle.  The books are for fleshing out every skirmish that leads to that.  Let's not forget, seemingly many of Tyrell's bannermen chose to abandon them in favor of the Lannisters.  Particularly the powerful Tarleys.  I don't think it's as big of a showdown as it may have been a couple of seasons ago.  The last scene was great.  I was satisfied.  I do wish that they just did 10 episodes tho, I agree that there's enough meat on the story at this point to have done that.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Ha, just read an article about people complaining about timing/spacing and then see it here.

Rolling Stone did the article about how the books were spaced and even notated.

I'm cool with what they are doing. We don't need episodes of only full on wars. They seem to pick up the pace when need be and throttle back on newer or story related themes.....like that opening scene that was over 20 minutes 

The problem with the books is he still has people wandering around doing who the hell knows what. It would take an entire book for Jon to catch a boat to check in on daenerys based on how long it took Sam to get to old town.

showrunners are Separating the wheat from the chaff. Interesting subplots but not the main thrust of the story. But in some cases they are probably a little too aggressive. 

On 8/1/2017 at 8:47 AM, Brandon said:

Ha, just read an article about people complaining about timing/spacing and then see it here.

Rolling Stone did the article about how the books were spaced and even notated.

I'm cool with what they are doing. We don't need episodes of only full on wars. They seem to pick up the pace when need be and throttle back on newer or story related themes.....like that opening scene that was over 20 minutes 

It must be a thing then. I haven't actually read anything about this episode outside this thread. I haven't read the books but from my understanding they are far too slow (I think D&D have done a great job of editing them down).

I don't think we needed to see the full battle, the strategies or anything like that... but seeing character motivations, decisions and tide of events turning would've been nice. It was very much like seeing the final score to a Game 5 in the division series. It's not the world series, or even LCS, but its significant and the drama is lost.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It must be a thing then. I haven't actually read anything about this episode outside this thread. I haven't read the books but from my understanding they are far too slow (I think D&D have done a great job of editing them down).

I don't think we needed to see the full battle, the strategies or anything like that... but seeing character motivations, decisions and tide of events turning would've been nice. It was very much like seeing the final score to a Game 5 in the division series. It's not the world series, or even LCS, but its significant and the drama is lost.

haven't read the books either.

I guess the dude that wrote the books wrote a blurb in them that the time and spacing would vary and isn't supposed to be a sticking point or issue. the books were written this way and were supposed to be indulged with this thought process. I've never been on twitter, but guess people were going nuts to where Rolling Stone felt the need to quote the blurb.

I honestly never thought about it, but understand the nerds on reddit are going to dissect the show and want some kind of answer or explanation for everything instead of simply enjoying the show.

i already know what's going to happen.

huge war, everyone kills everyone. 

white walkers show up, no one left to kill. so they shrug and leave.

samwell tarley the magnificent was in a cave eating and reading books and is the only person alive. so he claims the iron throne. 

he rules for 200 years. peace and prosperity. 

and then one a cold morning, far off in the distance, a small row boat approaches the shore. a young man gets off.

its gendry.

"hello?"