• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops are great

Adam

2 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I love the people that make looting acceptable in their minds. 

When we returned to the pad to unload everything
It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings
So once again we filled the van until it was full
Since that day my livin' room's been more comfortable

22 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

So no they can't ever be compared because of the countries history which there's no changing.  Floyd didn't deserve to die and neither did numerous other people of all colors who have been killed by cops when deadly force wasn't necessary.  Racism will always exist and people will always use it as an excuse whether valid or not.  Meanwhile the media will continue to drive the divide because that's what they seem to do best and in the end none of us are better off for it.  I realize we can't just move past it nor should people be expected to but there are some ways every person can reduce the likelihood of being confronted by cops or at the very least prevent those confrontations from turning physical.  I'd like to think cops don't regularly just beat up on people particularly in this day and age with body cams, cell phones and social media.       

Like I said (which you ignored,) they CAN be compared in the larger problem of police abuse/brutality in this country, but there's a subset of that abuse that is fundamentally different because it deals with systemic racial biases which affects black people more. They're tangentially related, but they're ultimately not the same subject that's necessarily in need of the same societal response. Although I'm not fundamentally against political violence for the issue of police violence in general (outside of a racial historical context.) 

We'd all "like" to think that, but that's a naive thing to just assume. Trying to change the focus of this issue from black communities inevitably lashing out against systemic oppression to what one can do to appease their abusers better, is a dishonest attempt to downplay what black people have experienced for a very long time in this country. 

3 minutes ago, Angels Never Die said:

And I love that people are more concerned about stuff being stolen from some Target over the existential threat the police have become to black communities. 

Who said that? Two wrongs don’t automatically make a right. 

Shocking, I know. And it’s not just stuff, it’s destroying and burning of buildings (of their own community). Good going 

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Who said that? Two wrongs don’t automatically make a right. 

Shocking, I know. And it’s not just stuff, it’s destroying and burning of buildings (of their own community). Good going 

So since the idea wasn't communicated literally and directly that means it wasn't communicated? Yeah, when the paramount issue here is black people being treated like second class citizens by the state, and when they INEVITABLY lash out about that unacceptable state of affairs, people whine about property being destroyed? It passively communicates that property is more important than civil rights. The offense is extreme, so we shouldn't be surprised when the response to that offense is extreme. You're being existentially threatened and the system thinks it can get away with it because there won't be sufficient consequences for their actions, guess what happens, people create some consequences for those actions. If it takes property being destroyed in order for black communities to get justice, then I don't have a problem with that. 

27 minutes ago, Angels Never Die said:

Like I said (which you ignored,) they CAN be compared in the larger problem of police abuse/brutality in this country, but there's a subset of that abuse that is fundamentally different because it deals with systemic racial biases which affects black people more. They're tangentially related, but they're ultimately not the same subject that's necessarily in need of the same societal response. Although I'm not fundamentally against political violence for the issue of police violence in general (outside of a racial historical context.) 

We'd all "like" to think that, but that's a naive thing to just assume. Trying to change the focus of this issue from black communities inevitably lashing out against systemic oppression to what one can do to appease their abusers better, is a dishonest attempt to downplay what black people have experienced for a very long time in this country. 

African Americans represent 13% of the population yet per the FBI as of 2017 they were responsible for 27% of all offenses charged, 53% of murders or non-negligent homicides, 29% of rapes, 54% of robberies 34% of aggravated assaults, 30% of burglaries and as the list goes on at no point do they represent less than 13% of any offense charged.  Even if we agree that some people are wrongly accused which happens it's not happening at rate that changes those rates much.  Racism and systemic oppression absolutely exist but for most people no matter the color of their skin choosing to commit a crime or being an absentee parent (65% of African American households are single parent) comes down to a choice.  Other non-white groups have made further strides as far as wealth accumulation, level of education achieved and some even have lower rates of single-parent households yet we hear less about that because it doesn't grab readers.  Downplaying what they've experienced is as dishonest as is ignoring what they do to contribute to it.     

22 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

African Americans represent 13% of the population yet per the FBI as of 2017 they were responsible for 27% of all offenses charged, 53% of murders or non-negligent homicides, 29% of rapes, 54% of robberies 34% of aggravated assaults, 30% of burglaries and as the list goes on at no point do they represent less than 13% of any offense charged.  Even if we agree that some people are wrongly accused which happens it's not happening at rate that changes those rates much.  Racism and systemic oppression absolutely exist but for most people no matter the color of their skin choosing to commit a crime or being an absentee parent (65% of African American households are single parent) comes down to a choice.  Other non-white groups have made further strides as far as wealth accumulation, level of education achieved and some even have lower rates of single-parent households yet we hear less about that because it doesn't grab readers.  Downplaying what they've experienced is as dishonest as is ignoring what they do to contribute to it.     

So systemic oppression exists for black people but it has no explanatory power over these statistics? Racism and systemic oppression doesn't lead to poorer socioeconomic circumstances and discriminatory criminal justice practices? And those things don't lead to broken families? Hey, get this, when more police are sent to an area, guess what, they find more crime there. Shocking right? Also, when people are in poor socioeconomic conditions, guess what they don't get, great legal defenses in court, which might lead to higher rates of conviction, no? And people in poorer socioeconomic circumstances just never turn to crime out of desperation from those circumstances, right? It's all a choice, huh? Jfc, do you watch Les Miserables and see Jean Valjean as the bad guy because he stole food? How simple things must be for you. 

As to your point about other non-white groups doing better than black people, it's a complete false equivalence. Even though other non-white groups experience discrimination and oppression in their own right, that doesn't mean it's on the same level as black Americans. The history and systemic treatment is different, older, and more severe.

Never said any of that but how much of an impact it has isn't quantifiable nor does it justify certain actions.  What someone chooses to do in life is a choice as evidenced by people who have gotten out of those shitty situations just like people of all colors who have gotten out of cycle of poverty due to the choices they make.  On the opposite side of the spectrum plenty of people handed everything in life have pissed it away through poor choices.  Racism exists but people also need to be responsible for their own decisions and communities because if they don't care then no one else will.  We'll agree to disagree and leave it at that because I don't want to continue a discussion with someone who resorts to insults.  Have a good weekend.

1 minute ago, st1ckboy said:

Interesting 

In the PC statement it mentions officer Lane talking about rolling him on his side. That's how you counter act the positional asphyxiation. Officer Lane knew something was wrong. I'm sure @ten ocho recon scout can confirm they receive the same training. Officer Lane should have taken over and insisted that they rolled him over. I am a peace officer and work in a juvenile detention setting so we deal with restraints like this all the time. As a supervisor you can bet your ass I get that kid on his side and out of handcuffs as soon as possible. On the street these guys are often on drugs so that just makes it even worse. These cops fucked up not matter how you look at it

there's always more to the story. thanks for sharing this.

in this day and age it seems that far too many believe that whatever is shown on video is a full and complete story, when so often it's a partial glimpse. the part that is most damning is often shown without proper context.

that being said, the police screwed this up in a big way, and i'm glad they were not only fired, but now arrested and facing serious charges.

5 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Remember when everyone burned Minneapolis down for a black cop killing an innocent white woman?

What's that you say? They only had peaceful protests? Oh never mind then.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/neighbour-of-justine-damonds-killer-gives-shocking-new-insight-into-his-behaviour/news-story/34eb2c08676af98afc376d83aaff31dd

It's almost as if there isn't a history of violence against white people in America's history.

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Never said any of that but how much of an impact it has isn't quantifiable nor does it justify certain actions.  What someone chooses to do in life is a choice as evidenced by people who have gotten out of those shitty situations just like people of all colors who have gotten out of cycle of poverty due to the choices they make.  On the opposite side of the spectrum plenty of people handed everything in life have pissed it away through poor choices.  Racism exists but people also need to be responsible for their own decisions and communities because if they don't care then no one else will.  We'll agree to disagree and leave it at that because I don't want to continue a discussion with someone who resorts to insults.  Have a good weekend.

You know what, I'm sorry I even responded to your last post, since it was such a blatant pivot and obfuscation of the issue. You're trying to change the subject from systemic police brutality to what is essentially a pull yourself up by the bootstraps argument, which stinks of an underlying implication of "well maybe black people shouldn't do crime if they don't want to be murdered by cops." 

I don't know what you're responding to exactly when you say I resort to insults, but it seems like a complaint that would fit with the priorities you've expressed here.

2 hours ago, Lhalo said:

I dunno. Leaning on his neck for almost 3 minutes after he was non responsive is pretty brutal. I can see a jury hammering this guy. 

No doubt. Not only is it brutal but it shows zero empathy for a fellow human being.