• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official: Garza to Brewers

Well yeah, ideally they could get a prospect arm who is close to the bigs. Somebody with AA experience. Aybar would command the best available return because, for all his faults, he's still a quality SS under a reasonable contract. Lots of teams could use that considering how weak that position is around MLB

I'm in the camp that Skaggs will be in the rotation come April 1st. Yes, he will be the opening day starter ;) Seriously though, he will come through. Do I think this rotation is a top 5 or even top 8 rotation? Hell no. Do I think it'll be enough to keep us in ball games and let the offense score some runs for us? Hell yes. If we can add another cheap arm on a 1 or 2 year deal like Cap or Malholm, even better. We have Shoemaker who can step in at the 5 if needed with an injury. Blanton won't be anywhere near the mound in 2014.

Last 2 years:

Matt Garza- 259 IP 3.86 ERA 3.99 FIP 8.06 K/9 2.57 BB/9 1.22 HR/9 3.4 WAR

Chris Capuano- 304 IP 3.91 ERA 3.81 FIP 7.19 K/9 2.31 BB/9 1.07 HR/9 3.2 WAR 

Seriously, Garza is a big difference maker and Capuano isn't? Garza has been marginally better the past 2 years. 

Last 2 years:

Seriously, Garza is a big difference maker and Capuano isn't? Garza has been marginally better the past 2 years.

Thanks for posting this, you make a great point. If the price is right we should sign Capuano.

Last 2 years:

Capuano has never pitched in the AL full time. He has had only 2 sub 4.00ERA seasons with 198+IP in his 10 year career.

Maholm was great at the outset of last season, winning his first three starts by tossing 20 1/3 scoreless innings. But Maholm pitched more like he's accustomed to seeing the rest of the way, going 7-11 with a 5.09 ERA in his last 23 starts. He missed some time in July and August with a wrist injury and was left off the Braves' postseason roster, putting a damper to the end of his tenure with Atlanta. Maholm was 14-16 with a 4.14 ERA and 1.35 WHIP in 37 starts for the Braves. His numbers were pretty close to what he's done over his career. The left-hander has a career .444 winning percentage, 4.28 ERA and 1.40 WHIP over nine seasons.

Capuano has never pitched in the AL full time. He has had only 2 sub 4.00ERA seasons with 198+IP in his 10 year career.

If he's cheap, then it could be worth the risk. Goes to show you how crappy the FA market is this year

No I am not. Garza had a higher ceiling than what is left available.

Ubaldo is actually the top arm left, but he has a draft pick attached to him

Whoever they sign(if they even sign anybody) won't have Garza's stuff or resume, but I don't think Garza in the rotation improves the team by that much. In the end, really wasn't worth the contract for a marginal improvement to a team that is already looking like it's a fringe contender at the moment

Losing Garza is a good thing.  Just ask Seattle, both LA teams, Arizona and both Chicago teams (and anyone else I missed).  These teams were reportedly in the Tanaka derby and were apparently interested in adding a significant arm to their rotation....and were willing to spend big money to do so.  NONE of these teams landed Tanaka, and none were linked to Garza yesterday or today.  Garza got a deal that will pay him $13 million AAV.  That is a ridiculously reasonable deal in todays market for a pitcher who some say has the highest upside of available starters.  I beg to differ.  I thought that the teams left out in the cold when Tanaka signed would fight over the remaining Garza scraps.  That didn't really come to fruition and I think that speaks volumes regarding how most teams feel about him/his worth.

Arroyo has sucked against AL teams for his entire career, as well as teams who have a better than .500 record. I think the "Blanton" comparisons are a little hyperbolic but I could see him putting up a 4.50 ERA across 175 innings for the Angels. That's pretty awful for a number 3 starter.