• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official: Garza to Brewers

If the Angels threw Blanton out there, I don't think his season is as horrible as last year. I think his numbers come down a bit. At the same time, Arroyo's numbers would likely inflate coming back to the AL. Therefore, it is indeed possible that the production of both pitchers could be quite identical next season.

So why pay 15+M for the same pitcher next year, as well as commit to someone for 2015 for 7-10M? Arroyo isn't turning this team from a 3rd place AL West team to a playoff contender. Not in my opinion.

exactly, spot on.

THIS time around, Dipoto showed that he learned from the past off-season, no more rash trades or signings to get washed up pitchers like Blanton and Hanson at too high a price.

If you are going to sign someone to a Blanton like deal, make it someone capable of staying in the rotation for the whole season!!!!

If you have to, wait until late January/early February when the price comes down.

I still would prefer a lefty to battle the new lefty sluggers in the AL West. But at least whoever it is, JD isn't panic like signing someone quickly like with Blanton.

Edited by Angel Oracle

If you are going to sign someone to a Blanton like deal, make it someone capable of staying in the rotation for the whole season!!!!

If you have to, wait until late January/early February when the price comes down.

I know you like to complain, but come on.  Do you honestly think Dipoto signs pitchers thinking they'll spend significant time on the DL?  As for waiting until late January/early February, well...that usually when most of the good players are already snapped up.  That leads to dumpster diving, and I'm pretty sure you've already told Dipoto to stop doing that as well.  

I know you like to complain, but come on. Do you honestly think Dipoto signs pitchers thinking they'll spend significant time on the DL? As for waiting until late January/early February, well...that usually when most of the good players are already snapped up. That leads to dumpster diving, and I'm pretty sure you've already told Dipoto to stop doing that as well.

But isn't it true that if JD hadn't rushed to sign Blanton, that the cost wouldn't have been as much later on? If you don't achieve target A, it doesn't mean panicking on target B. We already saw what can happen with that on a bigger scale (Wells acquisition).

By Jeff Todd [January 26 at 1:15pm CST]

SUNDAY: Brewers owner Mark Attanasio announced at the team's On Deck event an agreement has been reached with Garza, tweets Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal SentinelMLB.com's Adam McCalvy tweets the four-year contract still needs to be approved by MLB and MLBPA. GM Doug Melvin told the crowd (as tweeted by Rosiak), "I know we are a stronger team today." Melvin also said ironing out the contract details is what held up the announcement, Rosiak tweets.

1:45pm: McCalvy tweets the financial details of the contract: $50MM in guaranteed money, $4MM in incentives, and a $13MM vesting option. The math means Garza can earn a maximum of $67MM over five years.

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

with the contracts these guys are getting, perhaps we're better off just inserting Blanton into the fifth spot, try to get four innings out of him and let our new pen guys go to work.......

$50 million for Garza???  Geez.

right now our options are to finish third with a relatively stable payroll from last year or perhaps agree to one more over-priced contract and either finish second or perhaps, still, third............

oh well.

at least there will be baseball to watch -- it's been a long off-season.

maybe. 

Their rotation is OK now

Offense is very good not with some question marks

Bullpen is OK. 

pretty fringy at this point.  Probably a .500 team unless a bunch of stuff goes right. 

I adjusted that only slightly. Couldn't we be talking about the Angels? Or quite a few teams except the best 4-5 in the game?

I actually see the Angels as an 85-win team that could win 90ish if "a bounch of stuff goes right." I didn't want Tanaka for the money he signed for, but would have liked Garza for 4/$50M because it would have improved the team by 2 wins and made them an 87-win team, 92 if stuff goes right. Capuano or Arroyo, at best,turns he team into 86/91.