• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official: Garza to Brewers

We now automatically assume every free agent pitcher that isn't a bonafide ace is Joe Blanton. Not just Joe Blanton, but 2013 version of Joe Blanton.

Not really. If you actually checked out most of these guys stats (especially the ones who had ERA's north of 4.5 in the NL) you would see that predicting all these 1-2 year flyer type guys to be Blanton-lite for us isn't that insane.

Haha... Delusional? Maybe.

I just really don't like the current list of pitchers left on the FA market. That said, if we are not able to trade for a decent starter by early Feb, and I pray Dipoto is doing his very best to make that happen, then I would say, of the list of available starters Arroyo would be are next best option. It’s obvious we need another SP in order to be somewhat considered a contender this season and more than anyone else on the list, he has the best chances of fitting our needs. 

I don't really want Arroyo, but the comparisons to Blanton are a little ridiculous IMO. Blanton doesn't set the bar for disappointment. He was so bad in 2013 it was pretty much an anomaly. Blanton never pitched 9 straight years with 199+ IP, he also hadn't had an above 100 ERA+ since 2009 whereas Arroyo has done it 3 times in that span. They aren't really comparable in any way, other than the whole NL to AL thing which gets blown WAY out of proportion here.

I'd like to see the stats side by side.

Try to guess which of these players is Joe Blanton, and which is Bronson Arroyo. These are career numbers

Player A / Player B

k/9 6.24 / 5.84

bb/9 2.37 / 2.46

whip 1.36 / 1.29

BABIP .274 / .260

LOB % 70.5 / 72.3

LD% 20.4 / 19.8

GB% 44.2 / 40.6

HR/FB% 11.0 / 10.9

ERA 4.51 / 4.19

FIP 4.23 / 4.54

Arroyo is 3 years older.

Comparison:  Blanton to Arroyo, last 5 years: ERA, IP, ERA+, WHIP

Blanton: 2009: 4.05, 195.1, 104, 1.316

2010: 4.82, 175.2, 85, 1.417

2011: 5.01, 41, 77, 1.476

2012: 4.71, 191, 84, 1.262

2013: 6.04, 132.2, 62, 1.613

Arroyo:  2009: 3.84, 220.1, 110, 1.266

2010: 3.88, 215.2, 105, 1.145

2011: 5.07, 199, 78, 1.367

2012: 3.74, 202, 110, 1.208

2013: 3.79, 202, 101, 1.153

I think this shows Arroyo is a much better pitcher than Blanton.  He had a poor 2011, but the last 2 seasons were similar and numbers of a #3 starter.  Arroyo's career numbers seem closer to Blanton's because of 2 really bad seasons with Pittsburgh at the beginning of his career.  Over the last 5 years, they are different pitchers.

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod

arroyo's looking like a good investment on a 2 year deal for 6-7 million per.

i say two, because most guys don't like one year deals. if you could get him for one and an option, then that would be ideal.

i'd like the angels to save now and go for a sherzer or homer bailey next year. sherzer has already arrived, but bailey's on the upswing.

Edited by ukyah

I think Bailey is the most likely out of next years FA's. Scherzer has already said he'd like to get an extension done during ST. Same with Lester, who said he'd take a discount to stay in Boston. The only two elite pitchers that'll hit the market will be Bailey and Shields. I'd sign someone like Capuano or Hammel to a one year deal and wait til next offseason to sign Bailey

Blanton's performance was such a big deal last year because of several additional factors. 

Weaver and Vargas getting hurt. 

Very little depth

An arguably similar performance from Tommy Hanson. 

In a reasonable year, Blanton sucks and every else does ok enough to the point where Richards takes Blanton's spot in the rotation and then Williams has to make some spot starts. 

That's where the shell shock comes from.  If we need 60 starts again from our 'depth', we are screwed anyway. 

I am not always concerned with a league switch, but some guys don't seem geared to be able to make the transition easily.  Arroyo is one of them.  That said, it is true that Blanton's season was so unusual in such a bad way that it would be hard for anyone to duplicate.  Plus, if you add him and he struggles, you still have one of Skaggs or Santiago.  If someone else get's hurt, you are back to Blanton, Mulder or Shoemaker. 

Adding Arroyo probably makes us better even though I'm not a huge fan. 

Arroyo has 41 quality starts over the last two seasons, and just two less (22) than Phillies ace Cliff Lee had in 2013.

What’s even more confusing, he’s been asking for a reasonable two year agreement in the $20-$25 million range all offseason.

found this also.