• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka to the Yankees

ROFL.... You guys crack me up for weeks all I have read is how bad we needed Tanaka, Now that he signed with the Skanks it is like he totally sucks. I don't think we were ever in it to be honest. And had we signed him most here would be rejoicing. Though I'm positive many would be complaining about the price. I don't see how we can complain about the money the  Skanks spent on Tanaka . Not with the contracts we gave Pujols and Hamilton. I'm just glad it is over now we need to move to pick up another starter and or some pitching depth.

You're right, it would still be an overpay, but not as big of one. Kuroda has been a very good pitcher since he got here. Only issue with him is his old age so teams wouldn't want to commit much to him. He's gonna make $14 million this season at the age of 39. If he was 27-28 years old, I think he'd get a deal worth around $17-$18 mill a year.

price of pitching continues to go up, which is why it's huge for the Halos to start doing a better job of developing pitching talent.

And NOT trading it away (coughCorbinSkaggsTorresSmithcough)!

Their pen looks worse than the Halos. I think they'll be competitive, but they definitely aren't above Boston. Lot of old players on that roster as well. Wonder if they can all hold up through the course of the season

And their infield is a mess (Teixeira aging and always hurt, Johnson meh, Jeter old, and Nunez meh).

They are basically a mediocre infield, a good catcher (McCann), a good OF (Gardner, Ellsbury, Beltran), a decent at best and aging DH (Soriano), 1 good starting pitcher (C.C.), 1 potentially good starter (Tanaka), one starter with ONE solid season in 3 years (Nova), one aging starter with a poor last quarter in 2013 (Kuroda), one starter having not pitched in 2 years (Pineda), and a bullpen with a couple of solid components in Robertson and Kelley but also without their leader Mo Rivera.

They could go anywhere from 78-84 to 88-74 in 2014.   But there are significant holes to be sure, while playing in a brutal division.

Darvish' contract is what, a third of what Tanaka got? I think most people here wanted Darvish but were perfectly fine getting Wilson and Pujols.

With the posting fee included, Texas paid about 60% for Darvish for 5 years ($105 million) compared to what the Skanks paid for Tanaka for 7 years ($175 million). 

The AAV including posting fee isn't too much different, but the overall committment for Tanaka is huge.

I think Tanaka will be an excellent starter in MLB. However, that was an absurd amount of money to commit to a pitcher and I'm glad the Angels didn't go that high.

Tanaka's AAV will be 22.14 M. Plus the $20 M posting fee, which puts him at $25M per, basically. 

The top paid players in baseball by AAV:

#1 - Clayton Kershaw's 7 year deal. $30.7M 

#2 - A-Rod's 2nd deal, 10 years. $27.5M 

#3 - Justin Verlander, 7 years. $25.7M

#4 - A-Rod's 1st deal, 7 years. $25.2M 

#5 - Ryan Howard, $25M

#5 - Josh Hamilton, $25M 

#5 - Felix Hernandez, $25M 

#5 - Masahiro Tanaka, $25M  (Including posting fee)

#9 - Zach Grienke - $24.5M 

#10 - CC Sabathia - $24.4M 

#11 - Cliff Lee - $24M 

#11 - Albert Pujols- $24M 

#11 - Cole Hamels - $24M 

#11 - Robinson Cano - $24M 

#15 - Prince Fielder - $23.77M 

It makes it even more funny that the Tanaka reps put out in the press that he was "really" interested in the Angels only to get more money out of the Yankees.  I wonder how Arte feels given the idea that the Angels are only seen in terms of dollars and not organizational potential.  It seems the more things change (Pujols, Wilson, Hamilton) the more things stay the same.

So, is it irony or stupidity that this new posting system was supposed to be friendlier to small market teams yet Tanaka ended up signing one of the largest contracts in MLB history?

Yahoo quotes an unnamed Yankee source that says they were willing to go as high as $75 million for the posting fee if the system had not been changed.

They're insane in that front office.