• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka to the Yankees

so you are saying Kuroda would be worth a contract like that?  i would disagree.

You're right, it would still be an overpay, but not as big of one. Kuroda has been a very good pitcher since he got here. Only issue with him is his old age so teams wouldn't want to commit much to him. He's gonna make $14 million this season at the age of 39. If he was 27-28 years old, I think he'd get a deal worth around $17-$18 mill a year.

price of pitching continues to go up, which is why it's huge for the Halos to start doing a better job of developing pitching talent.

Not shocking, but even with all the moves the Yankees made I still don't see them being competitive this season. What a stupid team

Edited by failos

I don't agree with the conspiracy theorists that tie MLB, A-Rod, the Yankees, and Tanaka together in some master plan.

This is not good to the overall health of MLB to have the richest team outspend all others, and further add to the image of an uneven playing field.

Not shocking, but even with all the moves the Yankees made I still don't see them being competitive this season. What a stupid team

Their pen looks worse than the Halos. I think they'll be competitive, but they definitely aren't above Boston. Lot of old players on that roster as well. Wonder if they can all hold up through the course of the season

So when you figure in the posting fee, this contract averages to 25 million a year for Tanaka!  25 million a season for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the Major Leagues?  That is simply crazy.

I'm glad the Angels didn't sign him.

Sign Garza and either Maholm or Capuano for depth.

The Garza market won't be that large. I see the Angels getting him for 4/$60MM. He probably should have signed earlier in the offseason when teams were willing to overpay some.

Completely agree.  Teams who were interested in Tanaka were looking for a potential front of the rotation starter.  Those teams were not looking for a guy who is a #3 in the rotation.

The Angels should have no problem signing Garza for around 4/48-4/60.  Then they should consider signing Maholm or Capuano for some depth.

damn that's a lot. 

it went from paying for a #3 who had upside to a #2 but considerable risk with a downside of being a #4 or perhaps even worse to actually paying for this guy as if he were a #2. 

there is no surplus value potential here whatsoever.  If the guy performs like a #2 or even a #1, then he hits the FA market again after his age 28 season and gets an even bigger payday. 

they definitely paid for all of this guys upside in advance. 

Jimenez would be worse.  He walks tons of batters.  We definitely don't need any more pitchers like that.  IMO Jerry just needs to pick up some depth and call it an offseason.  Our chances of making the playoffs weren't great even with Tanaka.

Who would you recommend? I'd like to have at least a semblance of a sure thing. I don't know if Garza is that.