• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka to the Yankees

I'm bummed, but all I can hope for now is that we get another pitcher or two and we'll compete well this year anyway. I'm not that crazy about Garza. Wouldn't Jimenez be better?I know we would have to give up a draft pick, but I think it would be worth it.

Jimenez would be worse.  He walks tons of batters.  We definitely don't need any more pitchers like that.  IMO Jerry just needs to pick up some depth and call it an offseason.  Our chances of making the playoffs weren't great even with Tanaka.

Can't wait to see what a 30 year-old Scherzer gets next year.

To be honest if you are a super talent high school player in America I would move to Japan and get joint citizenship there. Pay your dies for a few years in the NPB and then push to get posted at age 24 or 25.

Tanaka got what he did primarily because of his age. If he was 30 I doubt he gets more than $90 million.

Tanaka got a lot of comps to Kuroda. Figure with him in NY he can coach Tanaka up a bit

there will be an adjustment period, always is, but if Tanaka can become a Kuroda type goin forward then that's certainly worth the money. Very, very risky deal though for a guy who isn't realy an ace type arm

so you are saying Kuroda would be worth a contract like that?  i would disagree.

Limiting the posting fee may have no impact on the overall price. Darvish's $51.7 million posting fee limited his negotiating power because he could only negotiate with one team and historically posting fees are in the ballpark of the contract the player gets for premium guys. His 6 year $60 million contract undervalues his ability, but everybody else looks at it as a 6 yr 111.7 (18m/yr). Under the old system, Tanaka's posting might be something like 60-75 and 7 years for 11-14m/yr (range of 133-173m or 19-25/yr). I believe the posting fee doesn't count towards salary cap calculations. So the real winner under the new system are the Japanese players.

My take is Tanaka must have had a side deal with his former team when they posted him. They had him under contract for two more years, so could have posted him next year and still received their 20m. MLB demanded assurances that there wasn't a side deal, but never heard more about that.

That is STUPID money to throw at a guy without ANY MLB experience aside from facing batters in the WBC.

As I mentioned before, 6 years/$100-110 million would have been as far as I would go. 

Thanks again Skanks, for screwing up the salary structure; may you lose 80+ games in 2014.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Like I said in the other thread, we will find out what our offer was when Arte speaks to the media later on in spring. I obviously think it's an overpay. I don't really think this means that Garza will now get $100 million, I think Tanaka was a special case and his contract will almost be in a vacuum. If the market for Garza is crazy then the Angels will make a depth move like some have suggested. Sadly we all want the best of the best at the best possible rate. So when we sign a solid number four for a year or two, we will have to put up with the, "this guy is garbage, this guy is Blanton lite". When in reality the guy is a number four.

That is STUPID money to throw at a guy without ANY MLB experience aside from facing batters in the WBC.

As I mentioned before, 6 years/$100-110 million would have been as far as I would go.

Thanks again Skanks, for screwing up the salary structure; may you lose 80+ games in 2014.

Well if it wasn't the Yankees it would have been someone else, probably the Cubs.

IF we knew all along we would not have bothered and would have signed someone else... this is bad news for trying to sign anyone now.

i suspect we go into the season with what we have at this point as i dont see anyone paying what garza will now ask for.. at least not us.

I'm sure pitchers like Garza, Ubaldo, etc were all holding back until Tanaka signed. I doubt the Halos could have signed one of them before Tanaka's situation was finished. They know that waiting it out would just create a bigger market for them

Personally, I think the team ends up getting Garza...hopefully on a reasonable contract