• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Suk-Min Yoon

edgur1995

That's just the thing though, if he comes cheap, it'll be because he has a bad shoulder and weak fastball, do you want to gamble on that? If he doesn't come cheap it'll be because he's actually quite good, and in this msrket, you have to pay double for "good", which would be stupid in this case because he hasn't pitched in the majors and may need some time in the minors.

Either scenario, he just doesn't fit the Angels right now. If they wanted to take a risk on a projectable import with injury issues they would've signed Tsuyoshi Wada.

We paid Blanton $7.5 million a season for 2 seasons.  Even if he doesn't come cheap, doesn't mean he's good.  2011 is a long time ago with a shoulder injury.  

If you sign him, you have to pay him reliever money.  either league minimum or $1 million.  Definitely not the $5 million a top closer gets.

We paid Blanton $7.5 million a season for 2 seasons. Even if he doesn't come cheap, doesn't mean he's good. 2011 is a long time ago with a shoulder injury.

If you sign him, you have to pay him reliever money. either league minimum or $1 million. Definitely not the $5 million a top closer gets.

What world are you living in? Top closers get 10M nowadays. Hell, Joe Smith got 5.25 AAV.

2/10 for Yoon would be a really good risk/reward signing.

What world are you living in? Top closers get 10M nowadays. Hell, Joe Smith got 5.25 AAV.

2/10 for Yoon would be a really good risk/reward signing.

I wouldn't consider him a closer.   If I'm going to pay someone closer money, I'd rather pay Oh Seung-Hwan that I linked earlier.

I wouldn't consider him a closer.   If I'm going to pay someone closer money, I'd rather pay Oh Seung-Hwan that I linked earlier.

Oh Seung-Hwan already signed with the Hanshin Tigers anyway.  And he doesn't have the potential of a #4ish starter.  Oh well, agree to disagree.

That's just the thing though, if he comes cheap, it'll be because he has a bad shoulder and weak fastball, do you want to gamble on that? If he doesn't come cheap it'll be because he's actually quite good, and in this msrket, you have to pay double for "good", which would be stupid in this case because he hasn't pitched in the majors and may need some time in the minors.

Either scenario, he just doesn't fit the Angels right now. If they wanted to take a risk on a projectable import with injury issues they would've signed Tsuyoshi Wada.

It depends on what the definition of expensive is.

2/10 doesn't seem outlandish. His numbers have been quite good. I mean, if a team offers 3/21 then I'd stay away. Like Scott said, worst case is he becomes a reliever for us. 

• 1 month later...

Nah. If he comes cheap, it's just as likely because he's coming from Korea and not Japan. KBL does not garner nearly as much hype as NPB.

1. Yoon’s 2013 season was one with mixed results. He began the season on a minor league rehab assignment, due to a recurring problem with his shoulder. Before the start of the 2013 season, Yoon pitched for team Korea at the 2013 WBC. This may have been a contributing factor to discomfort in his shoulder, which is an injury that has plagued him on and off since he pitched in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Upon his return from injury in May, he was placed in the bullpen. Yoon eventually returned to the starting rotation but his performance was inconsistent. He made 30 total appearances on the season, 19 in relief and 11 starts. His splits as a starter and reliever in 2013 are below (courtesy of MyKBO.net):

• Starter: 1-5, 4.16 ERA, 11 G, 62.2 IP, 50 K, .288 BAA, 1.388 WHIP
  • Reliever: 2-1, 3.60 ERA, 19 G, 7 SV, 2 HLD, 25 IP, 26 K, .240 BAA, 1.280 WHIP

http://globalsportingintegration.com/player-profile-suk-min-yoon/

The ongoing shoulder problem does not sound like it is going away any time soon.

• 2005: 3-4, 4.29 ERA, 53 G, 84 IP, 49 K, 1.476 WHIP
  • 2006: 5-6, 2.28 ERA, 63 G, 94.2 IP, 75 K, 1.141 WHIP
  • 2007: 7-18, 3.78 ERA, 28 G, 162 IP, 104 K, 1.358 WHIP
  • 2008: 14-5, 2.33 ERA, 24 G, 154.2 IP, 119 K, 1.054 WHIP
  • 2009: 9-4, 3.46 ERA, 27 G, 199.2 IP, 117 K, 1.287 WHIP
  • 2010: 6-3, 3.83 ERA, 23 G, 101 IP, 94 K, 1.297 WHIP
  • 2011: 17-5, 2.45 ERA, 27 G, 172.2 IP, 178 K, 1.048 WHIP
  • 2012: 9-8, 3.12 ERA, 28 G, 153 IP, 137 K, 1.000 WHIP
  • 2013: 3-6, 4.00 ERA, 30 G, 87.2 IP, 76 K, 1.357 WHIP

His innings pitched over his career says he is not capable of putting in a full season as a starter in MLB. This guy is a high risk category pitcher.

I would stay away. Jason Hammel and Jerome Williams type of production is what we would hope for from this guy and those two can be had at less than 2 years 10 million which is what he is looking for.

How I would finish up the offseason:

Sign Hammel to a major league deal

Sign Cristhian Martinez to a minor league deal

Release/ Trade Blanton

There will be plenty of competition both in the pen and for the 4/5 spots in the rotation. Say that Skaggs is ready (that really is the best scenario for us) then this is what I would want to see:

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Richards

4. Hammel

5. Skaggs

Frieri

Smith

De La Rosa

Moran

Martinez

Jepsen

Santiago

(I assume Burnett won't be ready at the start of the season)

Edited by SigBaby

I would stay away. Jason Hammel and Jerome Williams type of production is what we would hope for from this guy and those two can be had at less than 2 years 10 million which is what he is looking for.

How I would finish up the offseason:

Sign Hammel to a major league deal

Sign Cristhian Martinez to a minor league deal

Release/ Trade Blanton

There will be plenty of competition both in the pen and for the 4/5 spots in the rotation. Say that Skaggs is ready (that really is the best scenario for us) then this is what I would want to see:

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Richards

4. Hammel

5. Skaggs

Frieri

Smith

De La Rosa

Moran

Martinez

Jepsen

Santiago

(I assume Burnett won't be ready at the start of the season)

I'm curious as to why you prefer Hamel over Santiago

This is in a scenario where Skaggs proves in spring training he's our best pitcher out of Hammel, Santiago, Mulder. So while I have Hammel as the #4, he is really the 5th best pitcher. Otherwise Skaggs gets sent to AAA and we roll with Santiago and Hammel at 4/5.

If Hammel pitches like he did in 2012, which I believe he is capable of, then he is the better pitcher and Santiago should be in the pen. With Burnett being out it would also add another lefty to the pen with Martinez as an alternate long reliever. Santiago also has the experience there, however with Hammel's revamped fastball I could see him coming out of the pen as a reliever if he doesn't work out in the rotation.

Edited by SigBaby

There is NOTHING left for Skaggs to learn in AAA.  The team is s set on slotting him in the rotation at this point that they'd sooner move Santiago into the bullpen that send Skaggs down to AAA.  

As for signing any pitcher to a multi-year deal at this point, keep in mind that next year, Brett Anderson, Homer Bailey, Chad Billingsly, Wei-Yin Chen, Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Wandy Rodriguez, Max Scherzer and James Shields are all hitting Free Agency and the Angels have over 30 million coming off the books.

I'm all for signing Yoon, but if his presence ends up being the difference between pursuing Shields/Scherzer/Chen/Billingsly then absolutely not. 

Starter: 1-5, 4.16 ERA, 11 G, 62.2 IP, 50 K, .288 BAA, 1.388 WHIP

Reliever: 2-1, 3.60 ERA, 19 G, 7 SV, 2 HLD, 25 IP, 26 K, .240 BAA, 1.280 WHIP

The ongoing shoulder problem does not sound like it is going away any time soon.

• 2005: 3-4, 4.29 ERA, 53 G, 84 IP, 49 K, 1.476 WHIP
  • 2006: 5-6, 2.28 ERA, 63 G, 94.2 IP, 75 K, 1.141 WHIP
  • 2007: 7-18, 3.78 ERA, 28 G, 162 IP, 104 K, 1.358 WHIP
  • 2008: 14-5, 2.33 ERA, 24 G, 154.2 IP, 119 K, 1.054 WHIP
  • 2009: 9-4, 3.46 ERA, 27 G, 199.2 IP, 117 K, 1.287 WHIP
  • 2010: 6-3, 3.83 ERA, 23 G, 101 IP, 94 K, 1.297 WHIP
  • 2011: 17-5, 2.45 ERA, 27 G, 172.2 IP, 178 K, 1.048 WHIP
  • 2012: 9-8, 3.12 ERA, 28 G, 153 IP, 137 K, 1.000 WHIP
  • 2013: 3-6, 4.00 ERA, 30 G, 87.2 IP, 76 K, 1.357 WHIP

His innings pitched over his career says he is not capable of putting in a full season as a starter in MLB. This guy is a high risk category pitcher.

High risk is an understatement. We would have to get him at an extremely low rate, and as ScottyA pointed out, no scenario favors us in the deal. Move along, nothing to see here folks.  

Given how Santago did as a starter in 2013, and given his pitch repetoire, why would anyone want him in the pen instead of starting?    He's got solid #4 starter written all over him. 

We still need a utility guy to take the extra starts that Skaggs may not yet be ready to handle in 2014.   That's all.

We should have kept Jerome, even for $3+ million in 2014.

Considering he's a Boras client I don't see Arte allowing this to happen. I think the Mark Teixeira negotiations really made Arte cautious of dealing with Boras clients.

This. Remember Weaver signed the deal dispute Boras advising against it. Boras is not the agent for The Albert Pujols or Hamilton.