• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick gets NO RESPECT

edgur1995

47 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You're working from a standpoint of hindsight. I mean if every team had that advantage, Mike Trout would've gone first overall in the draft to the Nationals.

Without hindsight, you gotta make that trade, every time. 

It's the basic equivalent of the A's coming to the Angels and offering Jesus Lazardo for Tommy La Stella. 

F YEAH I make that trade.

How so? I gave you reasons why we shouldn’t of made that trade in the first place ... nothing to do with hindsight. I know you have a passion for prospects. Howie was a prospect that became a key core player ... he was a keeper. 

F No I don’t make that trade 

18 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

How so? I gave you reasons why we shouldn’t of made that trade in the first place ... nothing to do with hindsight. I know you have a passion for prospects. Howie was a prospect that became a key core player ... he was a keeper. 

F No I don’t make that trade 

If the A's offered Luzardo for La Stella, you would say no?

11 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

No it wasn’t a smart trade! Angels had the best offense in baseball that season ⚾️  Our offense dropped more than a 100 runs the following season. Why mess with success? Why mess with the continuity of the lineup? He was well liked in the clubhouse and a fan favorite. Our offense turned into 💩

I find it amusing that the know it all’s here still support the trade. 

Kendrick wasn't very good for the next four years and the biggest problem is that they replaced him with Gio who sucked.  One thing you're also forgetting too is that they were out of money and needed to spend Kendrick's ten mil on other stuff.  So it also made sense financially.  And the reason they didn't bring him back the following year was primarily that he had a qualifying offer attached to him which I believe at the time would have resulted in a lost first round pick.  

The parallel to the current team is Simmons.  Although Simmons is better than Kendrick was.  It would be similar to getting Brendan McKay or Michael Kopech for him.  Something I think you'd have to strongly consider.  Andrelton would never fetch that in the current market because things have changed in regard to the perception of players on the wrong side of 30.  I think Billy would jump on that right now though if given the opportunity.  

Nonsense. Acting like Kendrick being traded to the Dodgers was the only reason why the Angels’ offense struggled the next season is just nonsense. Other factors contributed to that. Calhoun was horrible with the bat in 2015. That all or nothing approach that he had that year, which he still does. Glad he’s most likely going to be gone from the Angels. Goodwin deserves to be starting on Opening Day next year with the nice year that he had with the bat, barring someone better than him. Pujols continued to steal cash from the Angels in 2015, was Trumbo-like with the bat, minus the strikeouts. And other players in the lineup underperformed in 2015 as well. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Kendrick wasn't very good for the next four years and the biggest problem is that they replaced him with Gio who sucked.  One thing you're also forgetting too is that they were out of money and needed to spend Kendrick's ten mil on other stuff.  So it also made sense financially.  And the reason they didn't bring him back the following year was primarily that he had a qualifying offer attached to him which I believe at the time would have resulted in a lost first round pick.  

The parallel to the current team is Simmons.  Although Simmons is better than Kendrick was.  It would be similar to getting Brendan McKay or Michael Kopech for him.  Something I think you'd have to strongly consider.  Andrelton would never fetch that in the current market because things have changed in regard to the perception of players on the wrong side of 30.  I think Billy would jump on that right now though if given the opportunity.  

You missed my whole point ... no worries, thanks for your effort 

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't confuse what he wrote with what he was thinking.  

I was thinking you make that trade after a season like 2019 ... not 2014, all you did is weaken a lineup who was the best in baseball ⚾️ It’s hard enough to repeat a great season ... it’s even harder if you’re trading one of your best hitters.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I was thinking you make that trade after a season like 2019 ... not 2014, all you did is weaken a lineup who was the best in baseball ⚾️ It’s hard enough to repeat a great season ... it’s even harder if you’re trading one of your best hitters.

again, they had no money.  What they should have done is make the trade and then replace Kendrick with a legit bat at 2b but they didn't.  It was an opportunity to exchange 1yr of production for 6 from a top pitching prospect.  You bet on the cheap production all day and twice on sundays.  To your point, there was no one to take his place and that was a mistake.  

The previous year, they traded Trumbo which I know you also had issue with but the offense was fine because they had some redundancy to replace him.  

They sold high on Howie.  If they gave him an extension like TD suggested, it probably would have been for 2015 and 3 more years.  During those 4 years he averaged less than 100 games played, 7 home runs, 37 RBI and a 104 OPS+.  In other words nothing special.  It sucks but he just wasn’t great after he left.  Not to mention his defense aged quickly.  He has been below average defensively each year since he left.  I was a big supporter of Howie and he is one of my favorites from the post World Series Angels.  But they absolutely did the right thing trading him.  

20 hours ago, Lou said:

did someone say hindsight?

On 12/10/2014 at 11:55 PM, ukyah said:

excellent trade. like i and many others have said many times, always be the one trading for what the guy is gonna do and not what he's done.this is a great trade for both teams, to be fair.

if heaney makes his name in mlb, he's going to do it as an Angel.

I agree

i feel pretty good about my take on this one. i believe that is still true. unfortunately, injuries have set him back tremendously. i suppose in hindsight you'd trade for a different prospect, but you'd still be correct in trading howie for a pitching prospect.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

They sold high on Howie.  If they gave him an extension like TD suggested, it probably would have been for 2015 and 3 more years.  During those 4 years he averaged less than 100 games played, 7 home runs, 37 RBI and a 104 OPS+.  In other words nothing special.  It sucks but he just wasn’t great after he left.  Not to mention his defense aged quickly.  He has been below average defensively each year since he left.  I was a big supporter of Howie and he is one of my favorites from the post World Series Angels.  But they absolutely did the right thing trading him.  

Actually he averaged 148 games from 2015-2017 ... let’s not even get into Andrew Heaney. 

Btw when he was traded there was no knowledge of the future ... if there was then he wouldn’t of been traded. 

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

The only year with the bat that Kendrick looked like an elite hitter was this past season. You know, 2019, the year when the baseballs were juiced to make every single hitter look like Trout. I find it funny that there's even people who act like Kendrick was a really big bat in the Angels' lineup. 

Besides Trout who was a elite hitter on the team? I find it funny that people can’t see the importance and effect he had in our lineup. .300 hitters don’t grow on trees.