• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick gets NO RESPECT

edgur1995

I think you were missing my point Doc. The point is that a stat like WPA undervalues Kendrick's actual on the field contributions to the team specifically because Kendrick has not been clutch. A three run walk off homerun is not four times more valuable than a three run homerun in the first inning. I wont debate that Kendrick has not been a clutch performer, only that looking at his WPA paints a negative picture on what is still a good player.

I am not trying to paint a negative picture of Howie.  I think he's really really good.  I am trying to point out that I can see where people get the perception of him not coming thru in certain situations.  I actually agree that his value to the team is more than what WPA shows.   I want the team to keep him and I'd much rather see them trade Aybar if they felt on of the two would net them the right pitcher.  His WPA/LI for the last 3 years is 5th overall for the halos. 

2009 Kendrick had 400 plate appearances. At age 22-23 (2006-2007) he was a platooned call up. In 2008 he was on the DL from April 14th to May 30th. You are a dumbass extraordinaire.

***Mod Edit- Stop with the 3rd grade name calling. This is your final warning***

Edited by mancini79

Especially coming from someone who insinuates that we must not watch games if we believe that he is anything more than a plant for the opposition..

lol that wasn't intended to be taken seriously.  some of you call me stupid yet you cant tell the comment was an obvious insinuation toward howie's fanboys.

• 5 years later...
On 12/13/2013 at 1:21 PM, True Grich said:

I am one of those fans who is probably harder on Howie than he deserves... it's just that I often feel like he has that "deer in headlights" look in the post season.. or in clutch situations. I must think that way for a reason.

Good call.

On 12/13/2013 at 2:56 PM, Angels Never Die said:

I think he should be traded because I think he'd be more valuable in a trade than he is to us. He's 30, we have Green, and he's the type of player that gets overvalued because of his batting average and his position. It's a good time to trade him and cash in on his value.

Blast from the past from AND. Wonder if he ever reads this site anymore.

What stands out to me in this post (and its not that he was wrong at the time) is how much baseball has changed. Literally in roughly 3-4 years.

Since roughly 2016 or so, what player whos 30 and about to hit FA is going to net you much of anything? I think it was tdawg who mentioned in here howie and aybar may fetch a haul of young SPs. Same thing. At the time that was probably right.

It literally changed overnight. And i think a lot of players and agents got caught off guard, expecting old school paydays.

Also..... man... grant green. 

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As I've said before, I love Howie, but I don't fault Dipoto for making that deal. If someone offers a top pitching prospect in return for two years of a good starting 2B, I take that deal every time. 

It's great to see Howie get his ring and the attention he deserves though 

Agree.

Im a huge howie fan. And in all honesty, we lost that trade. But it for sure made sense at the time.

No it wasn’t a smart trade! Angels had the best offense in baseball that season ⚾️  Our offense dropped more than a 100 runs the following season. Why mess with success? Why mess with the continuity of the lineup? He was well liked in the clubhouse and a fan favorite. Our offense turned into 💩

I find it amusing that the know it all’s here still support the trade. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was a smart trade at the time.  6 years of a top prospect left handed pitcher for one year of a second baseman.  

The smart thing would of been a extension. You just don’t trade core players because they have a year left of control. They could of easily signed him to a team friendly extension. The team went four years with a hole at second base. 

14 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The smart thing would of been a extension. You just don’t trade core players because they have a year left of control. They could of easily signed him to a team friendly extension. The team went four years with a hole at second base. 

Yes and they could have signed him as a free agent and chose not to, that was the mistake. 

45 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You're working from a standpoint of hindsight. I mean if every team had that advantage, Mike Trout would've gone first overall in the draft to the Nationals.

Without hindsight, you gotta make that trade, every time. 

It's the basic equivalent of the A's coming to the Angels and offering Jesus Lazardo for Tommy La Stella. 

F YEAH I make that trade.

did someone say hindsight?

On 12/10/2014 at 9:13 PM, Richard said:

Source: #Dodgers are flipping Andrew Heaney to #Angels.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:15 PM, jordan said:

WOW! Man I will miss Howie, but this is what's best.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:16 PM, Tyler said:

Awesome. Perfect trade. Please don't send cash with Kendrick.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:16 PM, YouthofToday said:

Difficult to see Howie go yet one must make this deal for the Halos' long term interest.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:18 PM, HaloCory22 said:

**** yeah!

On 12/10/2014 at 9:27 PM, wopphil said:

Holy shit. If this is really Heaney for Kendrick straight up, Dipoto is a god.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:29 PM, SoWhat said:

Holy shit, I still can't believe this. I love Dipot

On 12/10/2014 at 9:30 PM, Ochocinco! said:

Don't know much about this Heaney kid but i love LOVE what Dipoto is doing with what he can with a strapped payroll. COST CONTROLLED PLAYERS!

Howie was a choke artist anyway I don't care what stats you throw at me. I loved him as much as anyone one but i won't lose any sleep knowing he's a Dodger

On 12/10/2014 at 9:32 PM, Chuckster70 said:

For one year of Kendrick, I'll take Heaney any day of the week. Great deal.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:47 PM, UndertheHalo said:

I didn't think i'd be so bummed to hear about Howie getting traded.  It is a real good move for us though.  I'll feel better about it tomorrow. 

On 12/10/2014 at 9:51 PM, SoCALkid said:

And yes!! Finally get to see Grant Green get some more playing time.

On 12/10/2014 at 9:55 PM, MVTrout said:

Dipoto cleaned their clocks on this one, wow!

On 12/10/2014 at 10:05 PM, Ray McKigney said:

Bummed to see Howie go, but it is a good trade, in my opinion. I believe Grant Green has what it takes, both offensively and defensively, to be a solid everyday 2nd baseman. 

On 12/10/2014 at 10:16 PM, AngelsFaninGA said:

Great trade, Heaney is a stud. Not sure why the Marlins gave him up for Dee Gordon, but then again, they're the Marlins. 

On 12/10/2014 at 10:33 PM, Glen said:

After the 2013 season many people wanted Dipoto fired.  I'm glad we still have him around.  Dude has the balls to make the tough moves and is somehow making the team younger and better despite the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton contracts.  He good.

On 12/10/2014 at 10:50 PM, martinpa25 said:

Did we really just get the #18 prospect by MLB.com for kendrick? It hasn't sunk in yet...wow

On 12/10/2014 at 11:11 PM, ettin said:

Good return for Howie! I'll dearly miss Kendrick but as I stated in the Primer he was capable of pulling down a top prospect in trade and Andrew Heaney is probably the top left-handed pitching prospect in baseball right now!

Well done Jerry I have been incredibly impressed by the moves you've made this off-season! Arte pick up his option and give him an extension!

On 12/10/2014 at 11:55 PM, ukyah said:

excellent trade. like i and many others have said many times, always be the one trading for what the guy is gonna do and not what he's done.this is a great trade for both teams, to be fair.

if heaney makes his name in mlb, he's going to do it as an Angel.

On 12/11/2014 at 12:01 AM, NrM said:

Wow I like this a lot.

Howie can now suck in the playoffs for the dodgers instead  :)

.186/.197/.288 line in 63 PAs

I'll miss him, but he was always awful in the playoffs.

On 12/11/2014 at 9:30 AM, tdawg87 said:

Erection mode: Engaged.

On 12/10/2014 at 10:35 PM, Capital_Dave said:

This may be the universally popular trade on AngelsWin since... ever.

I agree