• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this a good trade?

Torridd

The Angels got 2 pitchers under club control who haven't even hit arbitration yet.  I like Mark and wish him the best but so far he's been a one dimensional player and outside of his power he's below average when it comes to defense, speed and getting on base.  Santiago and Skaggs aren't for sure things but right now they address two needs and quite honestly I didn't think the Angels would get 2 pitchers this ready to contribute to the ML club in a deal where they gave up Trumbo and a prospect.     

I don't think you're looking at the big picture here (or maybe you are and you just don't get it). Trumbo was a sub .800 OPS player (and a .700 OPS player for us in his last 200 games). We know his ceiling, and we definitely know of his floor. Trumbo is Trumbo and he won't get much better than what he already is. Plus he's hitting arb next year and he'll be making 6-7m. Our need is obviously pitching, not only pitching but young, cost controlled pitching.

Both Santiago and Skaggs are in control for 4 and 6 years respectively. Both of them are considered as #2 and #3 pitchers at their very best, and #4 and #5 pitchers at their very worst. Either way, at the very worst we added two MLB caliber starting pitchers on the cheap who are young and are at our disposal for over 4+ years each. That was our biggest need and honestly, I (and others on here as well) am very shocked that Dipoto pulled off a move like this, with Trumbo at that.

This frees salary for us (3m this year, and 6-7m next year which should help us with resigning Trout), and gives us a brighter future in regards to our pitching staff. This is as perfect as a trade gets for a team in our position. A very very tough position.

Santiago's numbers look pretty impressive to me...how much better can you be than 224 career innings pitched with 192 hits and 218 K's?  For a young guy, that looks pretty good....not sure why the Sox would give him up....

Because he can't find the strike zone.  He's a 1.30+ career WHIP pitcher.  Except for a time in rookie ball over 17 starts, 8 starts in A+ ball, and 3 starts in AAA.  He has also never started more than 23 games a season.  He's an average pitcher.

Because he can't find the strike zone.  He's a 1.30+ career WHIP pitcher.  Except for a time in rookie ball over 17 starts, 8 starts in A+ ball, and 3 starts in AAA.  He has also never started more than 23 games a season.  He's an average pitcher.

Average pitchers don't have his hits to innings pitched ratio or strikeouts to innings pitched ratio, at least at his age...Try again....

Average pitchers don't have his hits to innings pitched ratio or strikeouts to innings pitched ratio, at least at his age...Try again....

I'll second this and add a few things (which I brought up in my trade review column on the front page)

1) He's been a reliever until this past season. More experience would help quite a bit.

2)He throws at least one pitch (screwball) which isn't very good at all.

3) Some of his pitches (Curveball, Cutter) are improving year to year. 

Think of him as a # 4 next year and more than that in the future.  Also: Even without Skaggs, a solid mid-rotation starter is about the going rate for players like Trumbo. 

Another small bonus to this is that with Trumbo gone, the Angels could probably offer Trout a bit more of a raise than last season. It was probably hard to give Trout a much bigger raise than Trumbo. Would be a good opportunity to help repair any damage the small raise last season created.

Another small bonus to this is that with Trumbo gone, the Angels could probably offer Trout a bit more of a raise than last season. It was probably hard to give Trout a much bigger raise than Trumbo. Would be a good opportunity to help repair any damage the small raise last season created.

Yes and no.  Trout won't get a big hike, because Trumbo was arbitration eligible.  But this does free up money where you could see a long term deal made to Trout, and still stay under the cap.  Of course if this happens, it's unlikely we have room under the CBT to get a #3 type pitcher.  

I'm under the impression that they should sign a lower cost starter on an incentive laden deal. Then that provides competition for Santiago, Skaggs, and Richards the three young starters without damaging your future payrolls.

Johan Santana, Barry Zito come to mind. Jason Hammel.

I know we need pitching, but Skaggs doesn't look that good to me and Santiago appears mediocre.

I know what Trumbo can do and we don't seem to have any impending replacements.

For those who like this, please tell me

We needed pitching and we got two starters. We werent getting anything more for Trumbo. However this makes the Bourjos trade looks worse. If we end up with Choo I woudd say great plays all around.]

Because he can't find the strike zone. He's a 1.30+ career WHIP pitcher. Except for a time in rookie ball over 17 starts, 8 starts in A+ ball, and 3 starts in AAA. He has also never started more than 23 games a season. He's

Is there something wrong with two average starters for Trumbo?

e]