• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Mark Trumbo Trade Chatter (DEAL DONE)

Chuck can you post the letter you sent him?

On Dec 10, 2013, at 3:58 PM, "Chuck Richter" <charlesrichter@hotmail.com<mailto:charlesrichter@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Jerry, what an outstanding trade you made today. I feel like the pieces are coming together for this team to be where it needs to be to win the AL West. Everyone at AngelsWin.com today is buzzing over this deal! I'd say 90% of the fans are in love with the deal, while the 10% were just big fans of Trumbo and sad to have seen him go - as we all are.

Anyhow, I saw this blurb from Keith Law today on Tyler Skaggs talk about his velocity dropping. Seems to be correctable, which is great! I love Tyler, met him back in 2010 in Cedar Rapids (Low-A). Good kid, great stuff.

Keith Law likes the deal a lot for the Angels and goes on to explain Skaggs loss in velocity this way...

Skaggs took a step back in 2013 as the Diamondbacks shortened his stride, resulting in a higher release point that cost him several miles per hour on his fastball and depth on his breaking ball. Lengthen him out so he finishes out over his front side again and he should be back to 90-94 mph again with the hammer he had as recently as 2012, when he projected as a potential No. 2 starter and was the best left-handed starter prospect in the game.

On Dec 10, 2013, at 3:58 PM, "Chuck Richter" <charlesrichter@hotmail.com<mailto:charlesrichter@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Jerry, what an outstanding trade you made today. I feel like the pieces are coming together for this team to be where it needs to be to win the AL West. Everyone at AngelsWin.com today is buzzing over this deal! I'd say 90% of the fans are in love with the deal, while the 10% were just big fans of Trumbo and sad to have seen him go - as we all are.

Anyhow, I saw this blurb from Keith Law today on Tyler Skaggs talk about his velocity dropping. Seems to be correctable, which is great! I love Tyler, met him back in 2010 in Cedar Rapids (Low-A). Good kid, great stuff.

Keith Law likes the deal a lot for the Angels and goes on to explain Skaggs loss in velocity this way...

Skaggs took a step back in 2013 as the Diamondbacks shortened his stride, resulting in a higher release point that cost him several miles per hour on his fastball and depth on his breaking ball. Lengthen him out so he finishes out over his front side again and he should be back to 90-94 mph again with the hammer he had as recently as 2012, when he projected as a potential No. 2 starter and was the best left-handed starter prospect in the game.

You didn't include the email you sent it to.

Just skimmed through this whole thread. You guys are a riot.

FYI, Angels never had a chance to get 2 Arizona pitchers for Trumbo. And Kendrick was never involved in this trade. And I believe the Kendrick trade the White Sox turned down was for Quintana not Santiago.

To be fair, Jeff, theywerefollowing the twitterleads of the various agents and press at the event, expanding on every rumor. You guys try to jump each other on stories going to instant media and rumor becomes fact to fans.

Are we not focusing on Trumbo's so-so OPS in 2013?    Even Ibanez' OPS was some 50 pts. higher.

Of course, he still drove in 100+ runs.    Hamilton only drove in about 70, and Pujols missed two months. 

Trumbo had a lot of runners on base to drive in.    If he had produced a better OBP, he could have driven in 120+ runs. 

Just skimmed through this whole thread. You guys are a riot.

FYI, Angels never had a chance to get 2 Arizona pitchers for Trumbo. And Kendrick was never involved in this trade. And I believe the Kendrick trade the White Sox turned down was for Quintana not Santiago.

Wow, kudos to you Jeff. That's an awful a lot of reading.

Quintana for Kendrick would have been a fair trade, but I can see why the Sox want to give Beckham one more shot at 2B. He played a bit better in 2013.

Are we not focusing on Trumbo's so-so OPS in 2013?    Even Ibanez' OPS was some 50 pts. higher.

Of course, he still drove in 100+ runs.    Hamilton only drove in about 70, and Pujols missed two months. 

Trumbo had a lot of runners on base to drive in.    If he had produced a better OBP, he could have driven in 120+ runs. 

League average for a hitter's baserunners that scored was 14%.  Trumbo knocked in 16%, and just for comparison sake, Trout drove in 19% of his baserunners.  In 2012, both Trout and Trumbo drove in 18% of their runners while league average was at 15%.  His first full season in 2011, he drove in 17% with league average at 15%.

Too many seem to get mad because he's not driving in runs at the elite level (120+ RBI) which is probably about 19-20% of baserunners scored.  And I'm only talking elite run producers, not elite hitters.

Bottom line is Trumbo still drives in runs better than league average and I find that a little more important than OBP for hitters with his skillset.  His job isn't to get on base, his primary job is to put runs on the scoreboard, and he's done that the last 3 years.

Wow, kudos to you Jeff. That's an awful a lot of reading.

Quintana for Kendrick would have been a fair trade, but I can see why the Sox want to give Beckham one more shot at 2B. He played a bit better in 2013.

True, he showed some real promise towards the end.