• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Mark Trumbo Trade Chatter (DEAL DONE)

League average for a hitter's baserunners that scored was 14%. Trumbo knocked in 16%, and just for comparison sake, Trout drove in 19% of his baserunners. In 2012, both Trout and Trumbo drove in 18% of their runners while league average was at 15%. His first full season in 2011, he drove in 17% with league average at 15%.

Too many seem to get mad because he's not driving in runs at the elite level (120+ RBI) which is probably about 19-20% of baserunners scored. And I'm only talking elite run producers, not elite hitters.

Bottom line is Trumbo still drives in runs better than league average and I find that a little more important than OBP for hitters with his skillset. His job isn't to get on base, his primary job is to put runs on the scoreboard, and he's done that the last 3 years.

There are so many logical fallacies with this post I don't know where to start.

Driving in runs isn't a skill set. Being a good hitter is. If you are a good hitter that means you are going to be more successful than being a bad hitter.

This goes back to whether a player is "clutch" when he can eat some ribbies. Sigh.

League average for a hitter's baserunners that scored was 14%.  Trumbo knocked in 16%, and just for comparison sake, Trout drove in 19% of his baserunners.  In 2012, both Trout and Trumbo drove in 18% of their runners while league average was at 15%.  His first full season in 2011, he drove in 17% with league average at 15%.

Too many seem to get mad because he's not driving in runs at the elite level (120+ RBI) which is probably about 19-20% of baserunners scored.  And I'm only talking elite run producers, not elite hitters.

Bottom line is Trumbo still drives in runs better than league average and I find that a little more important than OBP for hitters with his skillset.  His job isn't to get on base, his primary job is to put runs on the scoreboard, and he's done that the last 3 years.

the primary job of any hitter is to not make outs.  So his job is to absolutely get on base. 

I agree that its more important to get on base. So keep that in mind before I get destroyed here.

While most sabr types, and most of us on here (as well as the majority of the modern front offices) view it that way, I'm not so sure the on field guys do. Players AND managers.

I have no idea, but I'm betting that the majority of players and managers still view the role of a hitter to drive in runs when they are in scoring position.

Those of us who lean towards 'stat nerdom' believe you need to get on base above all else. There's tons of research that supports this. But to be fair, overall stats are great for looking back and judging, but are far from a sure thing in predicting the future. They just help with probability. The guys actually doing it may see it as 'we may never get a runner back in position this game, have to cash it in now'.

Again, not saying I agree with it, just that it would explain why so many former players still say hr's and rbi are still how to view players.

In terms of trumbo, I suspect throughout his development, he was probably told something along the lines of 'we don't care about your (him particularly) average. With your power we want you driving in runs and hitting the ball out of the yard.' Its no secret that this org for years and years looked at walks as not being important.

I also suspect there could have been chatter from trumbos agent telling him to keep hitting the ball hard if he wants to get paid. Lets say he sacrificed some power ffor average. Lets say he hits .260 with 20-25 home runs. Yes, he would be more valuable. To us and most modetn thinkers. However, ge still would be viewed as average.

But when he hits 35 (in todays enviornment) he's viewed as elite (power wise).

Who knows, that's just a theory. Nothing to back it up. But for me personally, if I knew chicks and GM's (some) dig the long ball so to speak (getting paid), I would absolutely try and appease what I think will pay me the most, regardless of what message board fans and 'stat nerds' say.

(For the record, I'm a card carrying stat nerd and check this board before I get out of bed each morning).

There are so many logical fallacies with this post I don't know where to start.

Driving in runs isn't a skill set. Being a good hitter is. If you are a good hitter that means you are going to be more successful than being a bad hitter.

This goes back to whether a player is "clutch" when he can eat some ribbies. Sigh.

I never said his skillset was driving in runs, his skillset is hitting home runs, which results in driving in runs.  Keep spinning though.

Trumbo drove in runs because of where he was in the batting order. He hit .222 with RISP this past year. That isn't very good.

But his power is the difference maker.  I'll take his run production over OBP any day of the week.

You guys think him going 3-4 (1 RBI, 1 RS) is most valuable, well I'd rather him go 1-4 (3 RBI, 1 RS) every game.

I think the toughest part of seeing Trumbo go is knowing that he group up an Angel fan. How would any of us feel if the Angels traded us?

There certainly are a few of us here that couldn't bring a trade for two young fans with upside.

I'm sure he probably wanted to stay here his whole career but he knows it's a business. I heard him say so in an interview at the charity event he went to the night after the trade.

But his power is the difference maker.  I'll take his run production over OBP any day of the week.

You guys think him going 3-4 (1 RBI, 1 RS) is most valuable, well I'd rather him go 1-4 (3 RBI, 1 RS) every game.

Which would require other people do what he doesn't do well.  Get on base.  

In arguing for Trumbo, you just proved why OBP is more important than people let on.  ONE swing can score three people on base, but an out, is an out.... and minus the people on base, a HR is one run....  Same as that 3-4 scenario of yours.