• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Absolutely can NOT trade Trumbo

Yes, another Trumbo thread. Hear me out:

Regardless of where Trumbo is playing in 2014, it's a pretty safe bet that he will hit 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs, barring injury. He's put up those kinds of numbers ever since he's been a full-time player. You can only say that about a handful of players in all of baseball. Yes he has a low OBP, but that makes his achievement even more amazing. Pitchers are trying not to give him good pitches to hit, yet he still finds a way to produce. He's still young and has room for improvement. Not to mention, Trumbo will finally work with a hitting coach that I think has the ability and insight to maximize his talents in Baylor.

The market for Trumbo will not net a a solid pitcher or stud pitching prospect VIA trade, according to news reports. So, why trade him? The point of making trades is to improve your team. Trading Trumbo for anything less than a solid starter or pitching prosper does NOT improve this team. It actually weakens the team considering that you can just acquire a FA pitcher who would be about the same level that you can get in a trade for Trumbo. There's also uncertainty in the health of Pujols and no one really knows what to expect from Hamilton. If those two tank again, the the offense is basically Trout, Calhoun and 7 mediocre dudes with no one down in the farm system that can adequately fill in. So, now you ruin the depth of the organization.

Look, I hear you guys who keep talking about his low OBP. I'm not thrilled about it either. And, I'm just as frustrated by his long slumps. But, the team has to be smart about this. A trade just to get some random starting pitcher is NOT smart, considering that he's still a relatively cheap player and again, you can just pick up a FA pitcher, like I mentioned before. He would improve every team that he gets traded to. And, in some cases, would be their entire offense. Just say No, Jerry. Just say No.

Pitchers will continue to NOT give him good pitches to hit as long as he swings at everything. Why should they give him anything good to hit?

Don't worry -- he will keep swinging.   People will keep making excuses for him, and the next batting coach will be given the task of rewiring 28 years of instincts.

This is why I am having trouble understanding why we can't get an arm for Trumbo. Maybe not a top of the rotation arm, but certainly a guy like Cahill.

Based on the Fletcher and DiGiovanna articles, it kind of sounds like the issue is just as much if not more that the FO has placed a higher valuation on Trumbo than that because dingers and rbizzz or whatever. 

Edited by jshep

This is why I am having trouble understanding why we can't get an arm for Trumbo. Maybe not a top of the rotation arm, but certainly a guy like Cahill.

Maybe it has to do with 34 points of OBP?

There are fewer stupid teams than in the past. They have seen what Theo did with the Red Sox, they have watched as the Rays and A's have remained competitive despite not having the big dollars. The ability to not make outs and extend innings is valued by smarter teams, much more so than people realize.  Mark Trumbo's power always gets talked up -- and it's impressive.  But here's a little fact that people seem to gloss over.  Mark Trumbo hits a HR 5.12% of the time.  He makes an out 71% of the time.

This isn't to say there aren't teams that could use that power, but as the price of pitching goes up in this market -- so does it's value.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Also weird that the Tigers turned down a Kendrick for Fister trade, but settled for a couple of no names from the Nationals instead. Ugh!

Well -- could be they had other plans at 2B as is evident by their trading away Fielder's salary.

Dombrowski went on record saying both trades were made with the intentions of opening up salary to both fill some holes and re-sign guys they saw as higher priority players.

At least Dombrowski has a plan in place and effectively gotten what he wanted.

I doubt he gets traded unless he was able to be part of a package that lands the best pitcher on the block, and that is David Price. 

I think almost every team can offer better prospects than the Angels can for Price, but Tampa does need a 1st baseman, and a DH.  Trumbo fits what they are looking for, which is a inexpensive 1st baseman. 

I'd actually think that Garret Richards would have to be included in any deal for Price, which still leaves two holes in the rotation. Shoemaker, Sappington, etc.. not going to be enough. I'd think they'd ask for one of the Angels two 2B prospects, or Kendrick or Green, and possibly CJ Cron?

They'd also ask for lower level prospects as well. 

It'd be tough to beat packages from the Mariners, (If they included Tajaun Walker), and other interested teams.

Still, if they could get Price, I'd be fine trading Trumbo. Or if they were willing to part with pitchers like Odorozzi and Hellickson (who had a down year). That's about it though. 

Green could approximate Trumbo's production, though not the power. He'd end up in a platoon of sorts at DH and 2nd, with Shuck in at Left (and Hamilton in Right, Calhoun at 1st, and Pujols as the DH), Or when he plays the field, Kendrick would have to play 1st (with Pujols as the DH), or LF (with Hamilton in RF, Calhoun at 1B, and Pujols at DH). It would be a lot of shuffling.

Green and Conger could get the majority of the DH playing time (or extra playing time when Pujols or Hamilton are the DH by shuffling players around), and that could allow them to carry an extra catcher, but I don't see a good fit.

Generally speaking, pitchers try not to give any hitter a good pitch to hit.

But eventually they have to, if the hitter refuses to swing at the bad ones. They threw a lot of pitches in the strike zone to Ted Williams because he simply refused to swing at bad ones. I'm not saying Trumbo needs to have the plate discipline of a Ted Williams, but anything at this point would be an improvement.

weird that we got a #3-#4ish type with Vargas for Morales, but can't do the same with Trumbo.

Morales and Vargas were both in their walk years so that trade was basically pitching for hitting for the 2013 season. What the Angels are looking for is pitching they can control for several seasons and, even though Trumbo is also controllable for several seasons, his value does not equal decent, controllable pitching. 

I agree with the OP. Trading Trumbo doesn't do anything if we don't get a good enough return back. No sense in just trading him for the heck of it.

He's still an above average hitter who can potentially be better so it's best to just hold on to him and see what happens.

I don't think the Angels should trade away Trumbo for nothing, but I take issue with the "above average hitter" comment. He has above average power,  but he's a below average hitter in terms of his average, OBP, and OPS (especially for a 1B) and all of his offensive numbers ( other than HR's) have been trending lower since the second half of the 2012  season. Hopefully, he gets off to a good start and the Angels can trade him for someone decent.