• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Trumbo & Bourjos on Trade Block

Yea, I see what you are saying AO, but getting a solid 4th outfielder isn't that difficult. Even if you have to take a chance on a guy to rebound like Hart, to be your 4th outfielder that is still better than going into next season without the starting pitching depth needed to compete.

Hart though would necessitate giving up the Halos 16th overall pick, unless Milwaukee doesn't offer him arb. 

People will look at his OPS and be impressed, but also have to remember that half of his games were in Miller Canaveral.

It's comments like this that are so ridiculous. So, the Angels trade for a couple of starters and a bullpen and sign Tanaka, but if Shuck is our fourth outfielder then we failed during the off season. Sweet logic.

Yes. We should explore signing a 4th OF with a bat who would cost less than 2/$8 if we trade Bourjos and Trumbo.

I simply don't think Shuck is any good and wouldn't be surprised if he was DFA'ed next year. He is a AAAA player.

Hart though would necessitate giving up the Halos 16th overall pick, unless Milwaukee doesn't offer him arb. 

People will look at his OPS and be impressed, but also have to remember that half of his games were in Miller Canaveral.

There is no arb -> auto draft-pick anymore. It's a qualifying offer and that will be around $14.1M this year. I guess it could happen, but I don't see the Brewers offering that at all coming off a year where he didnt play a single game.

This is expected. Bourjos and Trumbo should be traded before Calhoun.

Jerry Dipoto's career as a GM might depend upon his ability to transform Bourjos, Trumbo, and Howie Kendrick into a good starter and a couple very good relievers.

i'm a big believer in dipoto. if he trades those three guys and he gets a good starter and 2 very good relievers, then he should be fired on the spot for gross incompetence.

Yes. We should explore signing a 4th OF with a bat who would cost less than 2/$8 if we trade Bourjos and Trumbo.

I simply don't think Shuck is any good and wouldn't be surprised if he was DFA'ed next year. He is a AAAA player.

I don't think he is that great either, but I could live with him as our fourth outfielder if we shore up the other issues. Like I said earlier in this thread if they move both of those outfielders and get us the pitching we need to compete then I will be ok going with an outfield of Hamilton, Trout and Calhoun, with Shuck coming off the bench. My guess is that if we trade both of those guys you will also see another DH/OFer signed.

All this tells us is that the list of trade pieces has gotten longer.  They can just as easily end up keeping them both.  The last paragraph and last sentence sum it up the best.

"The Angels are also said to be willing to trade Howie Kendrick this offseason, and Erick Aybar was discussed at this year's trade deadline, so he could be on the block as well. Also on the trade front, the Blue Jays are interested in Hank Conger or Chris Iannetta. Angels GM Jerry Dipoto figures to be in for a busy offseason and will have plenty of avenues to explore in order to add the young pitching he's looking to acquire."

Orlando Palmeiro was pretty good...had a .281/.361 OBP/.710 OPS when he was on the Angels

Shuck COULD do this but odds are not in his favor

That OPS was pretty shitty for the era he played in.   That combined line was good for an OPS+ of 85.  Shuck last year was much closer to being a league average player with an OPS+ of 98.   So if you thought OP was "pretty good" you should be pretty happy with Shuck. 

I've been a Bourjos fan since he first got up here, but if you can flip him for a #3/4 starter and a bullpen arm that's a no-brainer, gotta make the trade.

I have been saying the same thing.  I am a big Bourjos fan, but if we can get a quality starter for him you have to pull the trigger.  I just don't want him traded for the next Brandon Sisk!

Agree to a point Doc.

Pitching is obviously the more valuable commodity. That said, there's more than a few teams with very solid pitching (with some to spare) that are a bat away from the next level. That's why I still think trumbo to pittsburg makes a lot of sense, and I think aybar to the cards does as well.

To clarify, not saying aybar is a 'bat'. But compared to kozma he is. An aybar/bourjos package might be very enticing to st lou (depending on how they see jay).

We obviously won't land a wacha. But maybe lynn and a reliever. Mayyyybe joe kelly (though I doubt it). I only mention kelly because I read an article the other day saying he was actually the 'worst' of st lou's starting pitchers. So who knows.