• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Trumbo & Bourjos on Trade Block

I wouldn't trust the defensive WAR metrics as much as I'd trust your eye IP.  Yeah, Green was an awful defensive 2B but he also showed that he can hit at the major league level.  .280 with gap power should be what he does.  The Angels also have some amazing infield instructors in Alfredo Griffin, Gary Disarcina and now Omar Vizquel.

Green's actually quite the athlete.  If he'd be able to grow into a passable defensive 2B or 3B anywhere you'd think it'd be here.  In all fairness, this is the organization that helped make Segura and Amarista into passable shortstops when their skill sets dictated they'd be 2B.  We've seen Erick Aybar win a gold glove, Kendrick grow into an average or above average defensive 2B, Callaspo grow into a good defensive 3B, Luis Jimenez has made huge strides at 3B over the past couple years and Mark Trumbo become a decent defensive 1B when he was downright awful in the minors.    

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131030&content_id=63516886&c_id=mia

The following Q and A was taken from the Marlins MLB beat writer's "Inbox".

With all the young, controllable pitching the Marlins have, should they make a trade with the Angels for Mark Trumbo? The Marlins have stated they need more pop and protection for Giancarlo Stanton.
-- Devin S., Lake Worth, Fla.

Trumbo is a name the Marlins certainly should be talking about. The slugger turns 28 in January, and he has 95 home runs over the past three seasons, including 34 with 100 RBIs in 2013.

Trumbo made $540,000 this season, and he is heading to arbitration for the first time. It would take one or more of Miami's starting pitchers, or maybe even closer Steve Cishek, to land him.

If such a deal was made, the combination of Trumbo and Stanton would be fun to watch. Still, there are some questions regarding Trumbo. He can be an all-or-nothing presence at the plate. He batted .234 with an on-base percentage of .294, and he struck out 184 times in 678 plate appearances. Yet he is durable, appearing in 159 games.

If the Marlins wanted to get creative and make a big splash, they could consider addressing a couple of needs in one trade. A potential scenario could be putting a package together for Trumbo and Iannetta. Just a thought.

Trumbo for Fernandez. 

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131030&content_id=63516886&c_id=mia

The following Q and A was taken from the Marlins MLB beat writer's "Inbox".

With all the young, controllable pitching the Marlins have, should they make a trade with the Angels for Mark Trumbo? The Marlins have stated they need more pop and protection for Giancarlo Stanton.

-- Devin S., Lake Worth, Fla.

Trumbo is a name the Marlins certainly should be talking about. The slugger turns 28 in January, and he has 95 home runs over the past three seasons, including 34 with 100 RBIs in 2013.

Trumbo made $540,000 this season, and he is heading to arbitration for the first time. It would take one or more of Miami's starting pitchers, or maybe even closer Steve Cishek, to land him.

If such a deal was made, the combination of Trumbo and Stanton would be fun to watch. Still, there are some questions regarding Trumbo. He can be an all-or-nothing presence at the plate. He batted .234 with an on-base percentage of .294, and he struck out 184 times in 678 plate appearances. Yet he is durable, appearing in 159 games.

If the Marlins wanted to get creative and make a big splash, they could consider addressing a couple of needs in one trade. A potential scenario could be putting a package together for Trumbo and Iannetta. Just a thought.

Trumbo for Fernandez. 

And exactly why would the Marlins trade someone like Fernandez?

It's much more likely that they'd trade Cishek for Trumbo.

I wouldn't trust the defensive WAR metrics as much as I'd trust your eye IP.  Yeah, Green was an awful defensive 2B but he also showed that he can hit at the major league level.  .280 with gap power should be what he does.  The Angels also have some amazing infield instructors in Alfredo Griffin, Gary Disarcina and now Omar Vizquel.

Green's actually quite the athlete.  If he'd be able to grow into a passable defensive 2B or 3B anywhere you'd think it'd be here.  In all fairness, this is the organization that helped make Segura and Amarista into passable shortstops when their skill sets dictated they'd be 2B.  We've seen Erick Aybar win a gold glove, Kendrick grow into an average or above average defensive 2B, Callaspo grow into a good defensive 3B, Luis Jimenez has made huge strides at 3B over the past couple years and Mark Trumbo become a decent defensive 1B when he was downright awful in the minors.  

Sigh....  I point to the stats to support what I see, what I've seen is he is awful..  Despite being a good athlete, he's stiff.  Grant's first step and instincts are awful dWAR doesn't tell me that, my eyes do.  It's worth mentioning that the A's couldn't find a position for him either -they tried him at SS, 2B, 3B, CF, LF,..  he's been awful everywhere...  Don't look now but the A's have done a 180 of sorts and put a premium on defense these days.

Now on to the inaccuracies..   Gary Disarcina hasn't been a part of the Angels system for over a year now, he's with the Red Sox managing the Pawsox.  The Angels didn't make Alexi Amarista into a passable shortstop, they moved him to 2B from SS while he was still in the DSL.   From age 19 until age 22 when he made his debut he played a grand total of 8 games at SS across 5 levels.  Callaspo was a SS that was moved off the position because Aybar was seen as a defensive wiz.  Always good with the glove, the Angels tried to move him back to SS in AA.  His first experience at 3B came in Tuscon, after the Angels traded him.   IF anyone should be credited with making Callaspo into a 3B it's either the people in Zona or KC.

Eckstein and Kennedy are good examples of guys the Angels made into better defenders at the MLB level but neither one showed the awful instincts and stiffness that Green has shown.  Even you called it painful to watch him.  I think if you're honest you'll admit that you're banking on that athleticism translating into something that just hasn't to date.

Can the Angels put him there until they find a real 2B sure.   Will his offense be able to make up for what he lacks defensively.  I wouldn't bank on it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

That's insanity.  But hey whatever the Angels can benefit from I'm all for.

Is it really that nutty??  I've never been a Trumbo cheerleader but there are some factors worth considering.  The average NL team hit 144 HRs, the AL 167.  The average NL hitter put up a SLG% of .388.   The NL scored about half a run less per game.   A guy who offers some position flexibility and can impact a game the way Trumbo can has greater value in a weaker scoring environment.   Add Trumbo to a team with average NL power and his 34 HRs would make them the best source of power in the league behind Atlanta who went yard 181 times. 

They aren't saying the guy is great, just that he's a bit more valuable in the NL.  He is.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Of all the positions Green has played, which is most forgiving of a player being stiff defensively?

Probably LF.  But watching the way he gives up on anything hit over his right shoulder. that's likely a bad fit too.  He had several balls fall in because he simply cut bait on them.  

Not a fan of his at all.

Agreed. Scott, what do you think about Adam Conley? Think Trumbo could bring in Cishek and Conley, or would we have to throw in a prospect/player?

I really like Conley. But being as he's pretty much big league ready, I don't think they would send him with Cishek. Probably a one or the other + a lesser player situation. But who knows, it's the Marlins.

This confirms what we already knew/thought.

• The Angels' luxury-tax issues will likely mean they'll attempt to upgrade their rotation primarily through trades, explains Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com. If they bring Vargas back, it would appear to be for less on a yearly basis than the $14.1MM qualifying offer. In the meantime, they'll hope to acquire young pitching by dealing players like Mark TrumboHowie KendrickErick Aybar or Peter Bourjos. Doing so might also help them shed salary.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/ana/la-angels-gm-jerry-dipoto-likely-to-explore-trades-over-free-agency?ymd=20131031&content_id=63386806&vkey=news_ana&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter