• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Trumbo & Bourjos on Trade Block

I understand trading an offensive piece or two or three for pitching pieces, but to unload just to reload…hmmm

I mean if Trumbo, Bourjos, and Kendrick brought us David Price, then I'm all for it. But they won't.

So you would get rid of three good everyday players for a guy who plays every fifth day?

He did manage to stay healthy in 2013, and that's definitely a good sign, but his IP totals since entering pro ball:

2008: 20 IP

2009: 100.1 IP

2010: 111.1 IP

2011: 15.1 IP

2012: 69.2 IP

2013: 175 IP

And between 2011 and 2012, he missed a combined 202 games with right shoulder injuries.

He's certainly a talented pitcher, and I would love to have him under the right circumstances, but I would have a hard time penciling him in for 200+ innings.

Wouldn't do that Pirates deal.  Heredia is really nice but has a ton of question marks.  Trumbo needs to net us a for sure starter in our 2014 rotation.

I thought Cumpton was the for-sure 2014 starter?  And yes, you're right about Heredia, lots of question marks but also a lot of upside. He came with a lot of hype and so far he's matched it.  I think worst case scenario is he never finds the plate and truns into Jordan Walden, which is still nice to have. 

I thought Cumpton was the for-sure 2014 starter?  And yes, you're right about Heredia, lots of question marks but also a lot of upside. He came with a lot of hype and so far he's matched it.  I think worst case scenario is he never finds the plate and truns into Jordan Walden, which is still nice to have. 

Not sold on Cumpton.  He's more or less of a depth guy for me.  Plus, I wouldn't be able to deal with Tdawgs jokes.

Not sold on Cumpton.  He's more or less of a depth guy for me.  Plus, I wouldn't be able to deal with Tdawgs jokes.

See now when I think of "depth guy" I think of solid AAA SP with limited upside like Matt Shoemaker, Jerome Williams and A.J. Schugel.  Cumpton (admittedly I don't know enough about him), just seems like he's put up solid numbers at every level and is durable. But again, I don't know a ton about him and if you know more than what I can research on google than I'll believe you. 

Trumbo for Cashner

They are laughing hard at that one over at Padreswin.com

The funnier thing is that they are both controllable for three more years making this a pretty straight across the board trade. Cashner and Trumbo's WAR last year were basically identical.

Is Lance Lynn going to cost more than Bourjos? He's a nice middle of the rotation guy, which is what Bourjos by himself should probably net. Factor in that Jon Jay just isn't very good and the Cards depth at starters, I think Bourjos straight up for Lynn works.

Well I look at it from the Cards perspective.  They've gone to the World Series pretty frequently and have a team built to last (seriously, Miller, Martinez, Wacha).  They'd like a good everyday CF that fits their needs, but it isn't as if they need to actively go search out one because for the next 5 years you can pencil them in as a WS contender....without Bourjos.  He's a luxury, not a necessity. 

Lynn may be the odd man out in their rotation, but he provides depth and reliable performance as well as innings.  In free agency, he's easily worth 6+ years at over 12 million a year.  So there's really no reason for them to deal unless you give them something they can't get elsewhere without sacrificing your farm.

You offer them Bourjos because that's what they need, but also realize Bourjos is in arbitration and is coming off two DL ridden seasons.  There's some risk involved for them.  You have to sweeten the pot a little.  They need a shortstop and while we can't give them one that'd start right now, we can offer one that'd start in 2-3 years and still have a good one in reserve (Jose Rondon). Finally, add a depth piece you can sell high on. I'd say that's Borenstein right now.  

Angels fans can wish for a Bourjos-Lynn swap and under normal circumstances, that'd be a good deal to make for both sides.  But the fact of the matter is, there are no Free Agent SP that you won't need to drastically overpay for.  The Angels are not in an advantageous position.  They're forced to overpay by default.  Which is why I am not mad about the Hanson-Walden trade.  We netted a young SP with a solid track record for a solid RP.  It didn't work out but that's still a trade I'd make this time a year ago. 

And I know I'll get grilled for this, but I know the Angels discussed a Trumbo for Trevor Bauer deal with the Indians in September.  My feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if they actually made that deal.  Bauer's stock is down, but he's a local product with good minor league numbers and has been a consensus Top-20 prospect for the past two years.  He's only 22.  

Worst case scenario, you land a shut-down closer.  Best case scenario, you land the next Tim Lincecum that's going to come cheap through 2018.  Most likely scenario, you land yourself a #4 SP with upside. 

I would've been on board with a Bauer & Trumbo swap if it was a year ago. The guy was hitting 97 MPH with his FB in college and now sits at 88-90, no thanks

I agree. He also has attitude problems. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/12/12/trevor-bauer-diamondbacks-reds-indians-three-team-trade-miguel-montero/1765351/

http://www.letsgotribe.com/2013/10/22/4864518/cleveland-indians-2013-review-top-pitching-prospect-trevor-bauer

Lynn is definitely a good option for us so Bourjos+ a low level prospect would be ideal.

He should be able to give us 180+ innings of 3.8-4 ERA ball with lots of strikeouts. Keeps the ball in the yard too so this is a good destination.

Lets not forget Jaime Garcia but he's coming off shoulder surgery

Hart though would necessitate giving up the Halos 16th overall pick, unless Milwaukee doesn't offer him arb. 

People will look at his OPS and be impressed, but also have to remember that half of his games were in Miller Canaveral.

Yes, and he played half of zero games there in 2013.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him if:

A) He is healthy, and;

2) He doesn't cost a pick and can be signed cheap with incentives.