• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Trumbo & Bourjos on Trade Block

If both are traded, them that possibly means a Shuck/Trout/Calhoun OF and Hamilton becoming the DH. They would still need a 4th OF though, because Cowgill ain't it.

If they trade both Bourjos and Trumbo, it better mean they are going to sign somebody else for DH or OF.

Shuck being a starter is a horrible idea.

I like Bourjos better than Trumbo, but in the end I'd rather see Petey go because I want Trout to stay in CF - mainly because he loves playing there and anything that keeps him happy is a good thing.

But I think Dipoto can safely trade both. Next year the OF would be Hamilton, Trout, and Calhoun, with Shuck as the 4th outfielder, or start when Calhoun covers 1B for Pujols, who might start quite a few games at DH. DH will be Pujols and a variety of different players - maybe even Cron later in the year. It isn't the worst thing in the world if DH is a rotating cast of resting starters and bench players.

I'd rather see the Angels trade Iannetta over Conger, but either one leaves a big gap. Who becomes back-up? Maybe they sign someone like Dioner Navarro, Kelly Shoppach, or even Jose Molina - who is a great defensive catcher and would be a good mentor for Hank.

Trading Howie Kendrick should be relatively easy and a no-brainer, as he could net a good starter and the Angels are deeper at 2B than just about any position - with Grant Green, Taylor Lindsey, and Yarbrough. Erick Aybar seems less likely to be dealt, especially if the Angels trade Kendrick. Who fills in, Andrew Romine? Tommy Field? Either one are solid UT guys, but not starters.

Trumbo for Headley makes too much sense to happen. But it also gets real expensive for the Angels as he'll make around $10MM in arbitration and is set for free agency in 2015. I have a hard time seeing the Angels want to add that kind of money, so we'll probably see either Jimenez or Green.

So the primary trade pieces are Trumbo, Bourjos, Kendrick, and Iannetta. Calhoun, Aybar, Shuck, and Conger are all possible but less likely.

Edited by Angelsjunky

So the primary trade pieces are Trumbo, Bourjos, Kendrick, and Iannetta. Calhoun, Aybar, Shuck, and Conger are all possible but less likely.

I'd throw Aybar into the primary category as well but only because of his salary.

Didn't someone here mention recently that Field was a top rated organizational prospect not that long ago?  If anything, he'd be a slight downgrade defensively and a slight upgrade offensively.  It'd almost be a wash and would likely be for only next season anyway.

schuck is not a long term solution. 

i'm okay with an outfield of schuck, trout, and calhoun, making hamilton the DH. but i'm also okay with hamilton playing the outfield full time and schuck being the fourth outfielder.

i don't really expect trumbo or bourjos to be back with the angels next year. got to give up something to get something, and there's enough teams out there who'd be willing to take a flyer on either or both of them.

I'd still trade Aybar over Howie.  People aren't going to like Green.  Just a feeling.  Downgrade from Howie to Green is greater than the downgrade from Aybar to a util guy imo.  I know I'm in the minority on this but I wouldn't trade howie till Lindsey is ready.  I also think Aybar gets you more in trade than Howie. 

Tremendous defenders at SS have the opportunity to make up for offense because of the number of chances they get.  Brendan Ryan was a 3.5 WAR player for 4 years because of his defense.  Romine could be that guy. 

I understand trading an offensive piece or two or three for pitching pieces, but to unload just to reload…hmmm

I mean if Trumbo, Bourjos, and Kendrick brought us David Price, then I'm all for it. But they won't.

Shuck is Reggie Willits and/or Orlando Palmiero. If people can't see why Peter Bourjos is a better player than they don't understand baseball.

Now, the question comes down to keeping two of Bourjos/Trumbo/Calhoun then I understand that.

Keep in mind too that our highest rated prospects after Calhoun, at 1st or in the OF are CJ Cron, Randal Girchuck, and Travis Witherspoon.

Well Witherspoon was waived after the season, Cron had an Okay season in Arkansas (Trumbo's 09 was superior at the same age), and Grichuck may repeat AA after posting a .306 OBP. He's only 22 for next year though.

If we had any injuries, there wouldn't be a big hitting prospect ready to jump in if they dealt Bourjos/Trumbo/Calhoun. It means JB Shuck would get AB's.

Trumbo to the Pirates for Brandon Cumpton and Luis Heredia.  Cumpton would likely be a Vargas type of equivalent, #4 SP.  Heredia would immediately become our top prospect.

Then deal Bourjos, Eric Stamets and Zach Borenstein to the Cardinals for Lance Lynn.

Sign either Corey Hart or Paul Konerko to a one year deal to split 1B and DH with Pujols

The OF would be Calhoun in LF, Trout in CF, Hamilton in RF.

More importantly, the SP would be Weaver (3.27 ERA), Wilson (3.39), Lynn (3.97), Richards (4.16) and Cumpton (3.32 in AAA and 2.05 in 5 starts in the majors).  That's a legitimate rotation.  Weav and Wilson are both solid #2 SP, Lynn is inexpensive and profiles as #3/4, the same for Richards and the same for Cumpton. The Angels would be set up for the future as well.  Their farm would include Sappington in AA, Heredia in A+,  and Hunter Green in A Ball to go along with a half dozen others from this last draft and Michael Clevinger coming off injury. 

Trumbo to the Pirates for Brandon Cumpton and Luis Heredia. Cumpton would likely be a Vargas type of equivalent, #4 SP. Heredia would immediately become our top prospect.

Then deal Bourjos, Eric Stamets and Zach Borenstein to the Cardinals for Lance Lynn.

Sign either Corey Hart or Paul Konerko to a one year deal to split 1B and DH with Pujols

More importantly, the SP would be Weaver (3.27 ERA), Wilson (3.39), Lynn (3.97), Richards (4.16) and Cumpton (3.32 in AAA and 2.05 in 5 starts in the majors). That's a legitimate rotation. Weav and Wilson are both solid #2 SP, Lynn is inexpensive and profiles as #3/4, the same for Richards and the same for Cumpton. The Angels would be set up for the future as well. Their farm would include Sappington in AA, Heredia in A+, and Hunter Green in A Ball to go along with a half dozen others from this last draft and Michael Clevinger coming off injury.

This

If JeDi did Trumbo for Cashner, that would make up for some of the past stuff.

He would give the Halos another GB oriented pitcher to go with Richards.

Cumpton seems to be a Richards clone.

He had a high ERA at Georgia Tech, like Richards did at UofOklahoma.

He has had a constently high GB/FB ratio, like Richards has shown.

He doesn't K a ton of batters, but the GB has been his friend.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Trumbo to the Pirates for Brandon Cumpton and Luis Heredia.  Cumpton would likely be a Vargas type of equivalent, #4 SP.  Heredia would immediately become our top prospect.

More importantly, the SP would be Weaver (3.27 ERA), Wilson (3.39), Lynn (3.97), Richards (4.16) and Cumpton (3.32 in AAA and 2.05 in 5 starts in the majors).  That's a legitimate rotation.  Weav and Wilson are both solid #2 SP, Lynn is inexpensive and profiles as #3/4, the same for Richards and the same for Cumpton. The Angels would be set up for the future as well.  Their farm would include Sappington in AA, Heredia in A+,  and Hunter Green in A Ball to go along with a half dozen others from this last draft and Michael Clevinger coming off injury. 

Wouldn't do that Pirates deal.  Heredia is really nice but has a ton of question marks.  Trumbo needs to net us a for sure starter in our 2014 rotation.