• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are these guys fighting for Scioscia's job?

I'd say it's just a random hot streak and they will be back to suckage soon enough.

Though if they were motivated to win by the possibility of Sosh being "fired" then that shows me that the team is loyal to him and wants to win with him at the helm. In which case keeping him around would probably be better for morale.

This team has no Pujols, Kendrick or pretty much Hamilton.  Their season starting center fielder is injured.  Third base is a test case.  The second baseman has trouble hitting the ball to the outfielders.  The season starting catcher has a contract, fortunately for him, otherwise he would probably be gone.  It has no bullpen, and the third and fourth starters are pretty suspect.  Yet they are winning lately, give them some credit. 

As far as playing for Mike, I'd want to play for him to return, who wants to deal with Dusty Baker next year?  Many want to complain about the owner and GM, and now you want to trust them to find a better replacement for Mike?  I don't.

If pitching well means they are fighting for his job, then sure....  

I know most want him gone but it's funny, they have been playing better defense, grinding it out, making fewer mistakes and winning despite averaging just over 8 hits a game the last 7 games.

Basically, playing Mike Scioscia baseball.

I agree with Mancini and I believe that players such as Schuck, Green and Calhoun are playing for next year, not necessarily for Sosh.  These guys want to prove that they belong in the show.

They are definitely making it easier for depth for next year.  Makes the offseason a bit easier when you only have to focus IMO on a starting pitcher (Not an ace), reliever, and 3B.  With enough depth in the OF, that one could be available for trade.  

It all starts with starting pitching and we finally seeing a healthy rotation come together.  We are seeing the table setters and it is working.  The starters have shut out on this road trip and there has been just enough offense to get the job done.

Are they fighting for Scioscia's job?  No, that's crazy talk.  Players want to win and so far this year the Angels look like losers.  They have a mountain to climb to get to .500, but the young kids are trying to impress and the veterans delivering.  Ianetta has been sitting.  We are seeing more and more of Conger.  I like the new kids in the bullpen and position players.  

With the starting pitching performing well, finally the bullpen can do what they are supposed to do.  They have not had to come in the game in the 4th or 5th inning.

Finally all coming together.

A lot of players are actually fighting for their own job. No matter how the Angels finish, I believe the decision for Sosh has already been made.

Yep, you have guys like Shuck, Calhoun, Green, etc trying to justify their spot for next season.  Also, players want to win so the guys that have already secured a job for next season are playing to win ballgames.  They don't think in terms of the advantage of a top ten draft position.

Joe Blanton hasn't pitched since Aug 20th. 

Seriously though, the team has given up 11 runs in the last 7 games.  5 came in one of them. 

You know why we are winning?  They have 4/5ths of a rotation. 

I know pitching wins and losses don't mean a lot in regards to performance of the individual pitcher although an inordinate amount of losses by a starter can tell you something. 

Games 101 thru now, the team is 13-20 -

5 of those 20 losses are by Weaver, Wilson, Richards, or Vargas. 

4 are by Williams

1 is by Hanson before he was pulled from the rotation in early august

10 of the losses are by the bullpen. 

10 of the 13 wins are by the first four guys in the rotation. 

3 of the wins are by the bullpen and in particular 2 by Frieri and one by DDLR.  ie the game was close and we won late or came back. 

Edited by Dochalo

If pitching well means they are fighting for his job, then sure....  

I know most want him gone but it's funny, they have been playing better defense, grinding it out, making fewer mistakes and winning despite averaging just over 8 hits a game the last 7 games.

Basically, playing Mike Scioscia baseball.

And it only took until the end of August to get there. Outstanding.

We are seeing that it is pitching, defense, and timely hitting that wins games and post-season berths.

Hamilton and Conger came up big tonight in the 9th inning. That's as timely as it gets. Frieri is finally becoming consistent again.

Someone needs to step up as a solid closer, and the others to build off of that.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yeah... It's a random hot streak that will be followed by losing 7 out of 10.

If they wanted to fight for his job they should have started in April.

This!

It is too late to save Mike's job. That decision is already sealed the moment the Angels postseason hopes died, for all intents and purposes.

Edited by EDinTUSTIN

It all starts with starting pitching and we finally seeing a healthy rotation come together.  We are seeing the table setters and it is working.  The starters have shut out on this road trip and there has been just enough offense to get the job done.

Are they fighting for Scioscia's job?  No, that's crazy talk.  Players want to win and so far this year the Angels look like losers.  They have a mountain to climb to get to .500, but the young kids are trying to impress and the veterans delivering.  Ianetta has been sitting.  We are seeing more and more of Conger.  I like the new kids in the bullpen and position players.  

With the starting pitching performing well, finally the bullpen can do what they are supposed to do.  They have not had to come in the game in the 4th or 5th inning.

Finally all coming together.

I am happy that they seemed to have put it together, but we have said that on a couple of other occasions this season. I am skeptical. I would love to see them finish out playing ball the way they are capable, but finally is too late!

Who cares, this is a lot better than b*tching every night about everything from the owner through the latest roster addition.  A little island of success this year helps to salve the wounds, and gives some hope for a turnaround next year.

good call. 

I think it's a very good example, even in small sample, how this team could perform with good pitching.  I think the first thing they need to do is bring back Vargas so 4/5ths of the rotation is set.  Then fix the pen.  I mean really fix it.