• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

33 minutes ago, Lou said:

" The club (Lakers) also traded Moritz Wagner, Isaac Bonga, and Jemerrio Jones to the Washington Wizards as part of the blockbuster Davis deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources told ESPN's Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe.

Meanwhile, Washington will receive the Lakers' 2022 second-round pick, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania, while sending an undisclosed amount of cash to L.A., according to The Athletic's David Aldridge.

The moves will leave the Lakers with $32 million in cap space, enabling them to sign a max player in free agency."

Of those three, really only Bonga has some sort of decent enough NBA future, and that's a ways off.   

Good news on increasing the cap space to $32 million.    Sign one of the key guys along with Ariza, and then fill in the bench roles.  Hopefully, the bench can play enough minutes so that the starters aren't playing 38-40 minutes/game.  

You may be right about Carmelo.  I could see a few of our signees from last season come back so that we can offer them larger deals next season with their bird rights (Rondo, McGee).  Or, I could see something like D'Angelo and Bullock/Brogdon signed to complete the starting lineup leaving 4-5 mill for a backup and the the midlevel exception for another backup.

If they go with Kawhi, they'd need to use the mid-level for a starting PG.  Wonder if Pat Beverley would sign for that?  Beverley/Kawhi/Lebron/Kuzma/AD = Championship!

Just spitballing, but I've seen a ton of people saying Anthony Davis would never give up $4 million in a trade kicker.  Hell, Deng gave some money back on his buyout.  Not saying Beverley would take a discount like that, but strange things happen.  The lure of a ring and the chance to join a championship title favorite has strong pull.  I'll bet someone we think won't come for the mid-level or even vet minimum comes and we are surprised.

Incidentally, I still believe Kawhi is who the $32 million is for.  Kawhi is comin'!

Can Kawhi be the PG?   With LBJ handling the ball a lot, they really don't need a traditional PG.     Then sign Ariza for his defense and decent enough shooting.

Kawhi, Ariza, Kuz, LBJ, and AD = best starting lineup in the league, with KD and Klay possibly out for quite a while next season?

Of course, the bench would be a huggggeee question mark.

The pursuit of a point guard, at least to me, is less about whether the guy can run an offense and way more about can he catch and shoot well and can he defend opposing small point guards.  I don't want Kawhi chasing Lillard, Curry, Kemba on a nightly basis.  Seth Curry or George Hill may be more obtainable options.  Curry-Kawhi-Lebron-Kuzma-AD I could probably live with and the "other" Curry would probably like a shot to catch up in titles/rings.

Couple of things.

1.  If Iguodala comes, he'll likely sign for the vet minimum because he's getting paid by Memphis (who will have bought him out and released him).

2.  I think there is a possibility that Kawhi signs a shorter term deal for 2 years so that he can then resign for the 10 year max money.  I also think there is a chance that he signs a deal for an under market base with incentives to get him to the max.  If he did this, he'd be under contract for the base and would open up a small amount of cap space for us to use on another player.

3.  If we could carve out $5 mil in cap space, that could go to Green.  The MLE could be split between Seth Curry and another player (maybe some $$ towards Iguodala).

4.  Rondo at vet minimum

After the dust settles:  Curry-Kawhi-Lebron-Kuzma-AD     Rondo-Caruso-Green-Iggy-Cheap center

55 minutes ago, HaloMilliVanilli said:

I also think there is a chance that he signs a deal for an under market base with incentives to get him to the max.

If it's a "likely to be achieved" bonus, it would count against the cap.